Talk

Advanced search

To ask the normal length of time to get a quote for something building?

(7 Posts)
YawningHippo Sat 18-Feb-17 09:27:00

I put out a message on FB as I'm after something bespoke built for my daughter and had a reply from a carpenter. He came to discuss what I was after and we spent an hour working out dimensions etc. He went off to decide a quote and I messaged him 3 days later, he said he'd have it done by the end of the week. It's been almost two weeks since he first came to discuss it. Does it take that long to decide a quote based on cost of materials, labour etc? I'd like to chase him up again but don't want to be pushy if that's just how long this stuff takes. I don't know anyone handy in real life to ask to build it and I really want it done soon!

YawningHippo Sat 18-Feb-17 09:36:14

Just realised my thread title makes no sense. Today's going to be a good'un!

Laiste Sat 18-Feb-17 09:37:24

Seems quite a long time. How was he going to deliver the quote? Has their been a mix up some where? Has he thought he'd sent it and gone on hols?

Did you give him a minimum spend? Perhaps he felt he could do it within your budget and hasn't bothered to let you know?

Laiste Sat 18-Feb-17 09:38:45

couldn't! Couldn't do it within your budget i meant.

YawningHippo Sat 18-Feb-17 09:42:56

He said it wouldn't be as expensive as a previous quote I'd had, I explained my budget would fit around what he could do, it was a flexible job and could lead to more work. He was going to message me to let me know. He said he was really excited to build it and that it wasn't a tricky job.

Seems fairly normal IME, getting quotes out of tradesmen - especially blooming joiners for some reason - is like pulling teeth.

YawningHippo Sat 18-Feb-17 10:12:03

I just don't want to be the pushy nightmare customer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now