Talk

Advanced search

To think that Barbie is a twat?

(9 Posts)
SandyGEE12 Sat 18-Feb-17 09:21:11

I am worried that my 5 year old is obsessed with watching Barbie on Netflix. The only thing she thinks about is Fashion/hairstyle disasters, arguing with friends over Ken and that's pretty much it. I really think it's an awful message for a young girl. I am worried that if I ban it I will just make it more attractive. I am currently saying she can't watch programmes back to back, so we are limiting it to one per day.

PissyBogRoll Sat 18-Feb-17 09:24:24

YANBU. Terrible role model and actually quite insulting to women. I have older boys but if I had a little girl, that type of shit would definitely be banned.

Lessthanaballpark Sat 18-Feb-17 09:28:12

There are two stealthily good things about Barbie: sisterhood - she values her friends, and careers - Barbie does actually fly planes.

Yes the rest of it is shite but I'm guessing that your DD enjoys watching videos with girls in them to identify with.

On balance a sorry state of affairs and not much you can do.

NiceMoustache Sat 18-Feb-17 09:32:41

Ken is both the ideal bf and a complete pussy. That other dude creeps me out.

soontobemrsmckeown Sat 18-Feb-17 09:50:45

Try the new films. They are a lot better than that sort of one. There's one about a game superhero and one about her saving a planet in space. My 5 year old loves them over the "TV show ones" your describing

Henriefta007 Sat 18-Feb-17 09:58:28

My 5 yr old ds was obsessed with barbie last summer, drove us all bonkers but it passed. Now it's Alvin and the bastard chipmunks shock

bookwormnerd Sat 18-Feb-17 10:02:27

I would agree with the newer films tend to be better. The programme is awful. My daughter also loves monster high. Mind you at least its more about friendship rather than beating people up like superhero stuff. The amount of children who wallop each other at school pretending to be teenage mutant hero turtles is awful. She might like superhero girls ( my daughter does and thats a bit better) Mind you at moment it would be nice to get a break from trolls. I am counting down to moana coming out

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sat 18-Feb-17 10:03:03

It's atrocious shite, my DD got bored with it pretty quickly, I wouldn't worry.

HighwayDragon1 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:09:07

The films are amazing. The Barbie characters always save the day, never with men, and together, with a nice message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now