Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to tell me about working in a nursery?

(46 Posts)
Talllara Fri 17-Feb-17 22:32:04

I'm sorry I am posting for traffic.

Does/has anyone worked in a nursery can you tell me the good the bad and the ugly.

I'm really fed up with my current job, I've only stayed so long because it worked around my children. I feel like I want a total change.

I know nursery nursing is usually low paid and hard work but I want something busy, lively, rewarding and hands on. I'm thinking there could be opportunities for career development too much once experienced.

What might be the best route in? Volunteering alongside college perhaps?

WinterCookies10 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:34:47

Alot of nurseries offer in house training and / or have there own training providers where you can get a qualification while you work...

You want lively, hands on and different... Yep, a nursery is for you! smile

shippysail Fri 17-Feb-17 22:39:50

Long hours, low pay and an increasing work load.

Sorry I can't be more positive op, I worked in childcare for many years and it's either the private day nursery route where 10 hours shifts for minimum wage are the norm or if you're lucky local authority funded settings where the pay is slightly better, shorter shifts but you will be expected to do the job of a health visitor, speech and language therapist and educational psychologist amongst other things.

Talllara Fri 17-Feb-17 22:45:10

Shippysail can I ask what you do know? Do you still work with children?

Camomila Fri 17-Feb-17 22:50:18

Another one chiming in to say long hours and low pay! As the 'graduate practitioner' I earnt less than £17,000 per year working f/t in London.

If you like small children and I'd train to be a teaching assistant in a primary school, the wages are still low but the hours are much better.

WinterCookies10 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:51:14

Shippysail.... Wow.....
I don't know what nursery you have worked in, but it's really not that bad!

I worked in a nursery for 6 years, yes, tough, not well paid in alot of nurseries but the children make it worth while!

madein1995 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:58:25

Being a TA is much better I think. The children are lovely, but there can be a lot of bitchiness (though that could be true everywhere), rubbish pay for a very hard, very physical job, long hours. I worked in a private nursery where it was all about the profit, and the staff weren't well looked after. I heard lots of stories of new people only lasting a few weeks, on a few occasions girls had walked out in the middle of their first or second day, I lasted 2 months but god knows how

TiggyD Fri 17-Feb-17 22:59:11

11 hour shifts at my place, but only 4 days per week. Low pay. Career development is good, but you get a lot more responsibility for not a great deal more money. And it's one of those jobs where you're always going to want to be better than the budget allows.

And the sector is teetering on the brink at the moment. Higher wages but income capped by ""free"" hours funding, and now the rates increases!

If you've got to do it, do it!

But remember, don't let any bugger take your pen.

Talllara Fri 17-Feb-17 23:05:51

Hehe, thank you.

I might be a bit deluded because my children's nursery is in a children's centre. Most of the staff seem to be on some kind of flexible working pattern. Probably this is not the norm?

Maybe I could volunteer to get a better idea.

stella23 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:06:17

Honesty find something else, its what I would tell my younger self. Work load is huge, days are long, pay is shit, respect is shitter, there's never enough of any thing. Most are run on a shoe string to maximise profit.
Maybe train to be a teacher, more pay. More career progression.

Talllara Fri 17-Feb-17 23:09:34

I could never be a teacher, I just don't have the capability. I wouldn't want the responsibility.

TA perhaps but from what I've seen many seem to have nearly as much responsibility as teachers.

I know nursery nursing is a big responsibility too but I'm pretty good with babies and young children.

Christmasnoooooooooooo Fri 17-Feb-17 23:14:36

Have you thought about child minder

Penhacked Fri 17-Feb-17 23:15:33

Why not childminder? That way you set your own hours and choose your profit margins slightly.

TiggyD Fri 17-Feb-17 23:19:46

You'll need at least a level 3 qualification to move up the ladder. 2 year course. Temperament is the most important thing you can have looking for a job. Common sense, eager to work, sense of humour, and ability to work in a team. Liking children helps a bit too.

shippysail Fri 17-Feb-17 23:26:00

winter I have worked in and managed a variety of settings in both the private and funded sector I can assure you my feelings are not unique.

PlymouthMaid1 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:33:36

You could consider getting in via an apprenticeship route if you can take the low pay for the duration. Its not a job I would want ...I teach some trainees as they do very long hours for low pay and there aren't many opportunities for progression. Also bear in mind that you will need GCSE maths and English at at least grade C for level 3 qualification. You may have them but I know this is a stumbling block for many applicants.

BackforGood Fri 17-Feb-17 23:41:01

'Flexible working pattern' quite possibly means shifts, and some staff who are 'bank staff' - ie, only called in to cover absentees when other staff are on courses, Annual Leave, etc, or possibly to support a child with additional needs 1:1 (although funding for that has been shrinking and shrinking over the years).

I am in contact with a lot of Nurseries through work, and minimum wage is pretty normal, but you have a massive amount of responsiblity for that NMW. Many staff work 7 - 4 whilst others work 10 - 6. A lot of children are in for school hours, so there are more staff in, in the middle of the day. Since there has been education funding, then term time jobs have become more common, although they weren't the norm a few years ago.

HerRoyalFattyness Fri 17-Feb-17 23:42:06

Im doing my level 3 at the minute. I volunteer in a nursery 2 days a week. It's hard work, but I love it.
And
But remember, don't let any bugger take your pen.
This. Our manager is terrible for having off with your pen!

oldlaundbooth Fri 17-Feb-17 23:44:50

What about nannying?

Talllara Sat 18-Feb-17 00:03:05

I can't really do nannying because I've got young children of my own.

I'd consider childminding only our house is very small so probably unsuitable.

Thank you for the honest opinions.

I have got my gcses and some higher level qualifications non childcare related.

I've always done admin for children's services, I've done loads of different things, everything from school, children's centres, supporting social workers but I think I really want to do something working directly with children, but also something I can switch off from at home. Which I just can't with my current job anymore.

MoonlightMojitos Sat 18-Feb-17 00:42:33

Wow these are all very negative! I worked in a nursery for 2 years (left 3 years ago now). I was on minimum wage but they put me through my nvq, I had never worked with children before so there are definately places out there willing to do it if you have the right attitude and enthusiasm. It is very hard work, tiring, long hours but I loved those kids and it was really upsetting to leave and emotional when the older ones leave for school each year etc so there is satisfaction in it! Can't beat some good cuddles too! One thing that did get to me was being constantly ill with all the colds etc constantly going round but it's just one of those things and eventually your immune system toughens up a bit. I only caught one sickness bug in 2 years and never anything serious. It also I helped that we all got on really well, it was like all being a big family together and it really does feel like a home from home when you're taking it turns doing washing, cleaning etc! To be fair I think minimum wage now is livable anyway (depending where in the country you are) so if it's something you really want to do why not give it a go! I agree that as you move up the pay increase probably doesn't not cover the extra responsibility but it depends if you want that or not. I was personally happy just being a nursery nurse at the time. I'm sure there's more I can say but don't want to write an essay!

Jaytee38 Sat 18-Feb-17 00:50:40

Depends on the nursery you get. I found the children and parents great.

However I found the work repetitious and mind dumbing.

Add to that a bully who had an issue with me as I had higher qualifications than her. It was so awful I quit in the end. They made my life miserable. This was a nursery with under 7 staff all age 25+ . Worst job and all over awful experience.

wonderingsoul Sat 18-Feb-17 00:53:34

I utterly love my job in a nursery. Only level 2 but i get 8.70 an hour hours can be long but i only do 20 a week. With nice managers who will fit time off when you need it.
Its stressful busy but very rewarding. Imo its like watching all the good bits with out the "bad" you get to watch them grow and change. Even from sitting up unaided to walking talking..

It can be bitchy... but so can a lot of places.

You can do your course there and most will pay for it. If your over 24 your apprentice pay will be min wage. You can advance well to. A friend went from childmimder to all the way up to nursery manager in 10 years.

I say go for it. I love love love it.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 18-Feb-17 00:56:58

Can i ask a question?

How exactly do nursery staff get all the children to sleep simultaneously? I collected my daughter early from nursery this week to find every single child (including her) in her group fast asleep! I was quite taken aback at the time!

user1487364179 Sat 18-Feb-17 00:59:42

Hard work for shit money.

I trained as a nursery nurse. I loved being with children all day but hated the shit that came with it- the long hours, the parents that always wanted an argument/didn't want to listen, the fact I always seemed to be ill with SOMETHING (i must of got 3/4 colds a year in the winter!) and the fact the manager I had couldn't even manage a fart without shitting herself never mind anything else. I got out as soon as I could- I went and worked in ALDI and found it 100000% less draining coupled with an additional £4 an hour- which was more than half of my wages again of what I had been earning although a move closer to central London did partially contribute to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now