Talk

Advanced search

Someone else bought my sister a 'sister' charm for her bracelet

(133 Posts)
Changesorter Fri 17-Feb-17 21:34:46

My sister has a big birthday coming up. she collects charms for a popular form of charm bracelet. I had saved to get her a nice sister charm only to find her SIL (my brother in laws sister) has bought her thr very same one.

Abu to be a bit nose out of joint about this. At the end of the day my brother in laws wife is not my sisters sister. There's only one and that's me!

cupcupcup Fri 17-Feb-17 21:36:28

Yes, you are!

DonaldStott Fri 17-Feb-17 21:37:17

Is it not off your brother too?

Allthewaves Fri 17-Feb-17 21:37:58

You are being silly. You sil and brother are allowed to give a sister charm hmm

haveacupoftea Fri 17-Feb-17 21:38:27

Midly annoying but just be pleased that she's settling in well into family life with the in laws.

Changesorter Fri 17-Feb-17 21:38:29

But the charm says 'sister' on it! She's not her sister, I think it's weird!

DonaldStott Fri 17-Feb-17 21:39:06

Ah right sorry, you bils wife. I see.

Yab abit u as when someone has a charm bracelet thing, everyone buys you one. They are easy as a go to. Could u not get another meaningful charm for her?

FeckinCrutches Fri 17-Feb-17 21:39:18

But surely it from your brother as well? confused

likeacrow Fri 17-Feb-17 21:39:44

I'd be a bit annoyed, unless it's supposed to be from your brother too.

Changesorter Fri 17-Feb-17 21:39:59

No..There's me and my sister. This is my BILS sister..she's not my sisters blood relative

Changesorter Fri 17-Feb-17 21:40:22

We don't have a brother

sycamore54321 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:40:29

Surely the brother isn't going to get her a separate gift as well?

Get a charm that symbolises something in your relationship, not just names it. Disclaimer - I hate charm bracelets as the jewellery equivalent of sticker albums so this could be bad advice.

likeacrow Fri 17-Feb-17 21:40:57

Oh it's not your brother's wife. I'd feel the same as you.

Paninotogo Fri 17-Feb-17 21:41:00

It clearly says in the OP her BIL's sister, not her brother, so yes it is a bit weird.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 17-Feb-17 21:41:05

I think that's weird.

MooPointCowsOpinion Fri 17-Feb-17 21:42:24

BILs sister? That's her husband's sister? I think I'd like it if my DH's sisters thought of me like a sister. She'll probably like it. And yours too.

Changesorter Fri 17-Feb-17 21:44:06

Yes. My BIL has a sister, it's her who's bought the gift..sorry its confusing. She's my sisters SIL on his side. My sister and I don't have other siblings

nuttyknitter Fri 17-Feb-17 21:44:09

Ridiculous! You should be pleased that she gets on so well with her in laws.

Chops2016 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:44:14

YABU and a bit precious. I think that's very sweet of your SIL.

swinkle Fri 17-Feb-17 21:46:15

I think it's quite sweet of her, I think I'd be quite touched if my sister in law bought me something like that, that said she thinks of me as a sister. I would imagine she didn't mean it as a slight to you?

likeacrow Fri 17-Feb-17 21:46:25

I wouldn't buy anyone a sister anything other than my sister. And if someone other than my sister bought me a sister anything, I'd find it weird rather than sweet. Although I obv wouldn't express this to them.
Yanbu.

booklooker Fri 17-Feb-17 21:46:32

Either
a) Grab her by the hair, drag her into the street and let her and everyone else within earshot know that I'M THE FUCKING SISTER ROUND HERE

or

b) Spend the money you have saved for her on something else

Changesorter Fri 17-Feb-17 21:46:36

I dislike these composite charm bracelets too but my sister enjoys hers and had specifically asked for more charms for her birthday in March. Sadly it's not even the most well known brand so there's less choice in terms of meaningful ness

Spam88 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:46:38

I don't know why everyone is so confused about how this sister in law is related lol.

I'd be a bit put out if I was you too. I might have done something like this for my brothers ex wife who was an only child and it was a huge thing for her to now have sort-of sister, but I wouldn't do it for any of my other in laws who all have siblings.

Nothing you can do about it though, so have a bit of a moan on here and then start looking for another gift for your sister.

Notanotherpawpatrol Fri 17-Feb-17 21:47:05

I get it. My sil (my bil's sister) has done things like this in the past too. I know it's unreasonable, but I really struggle with it. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now