Talk

Advanced search

To think E-DH should've asked if it was okay that children meet new partner.

(118 Posts)
Deadsouls Fri 17-Feb-17 20:56:45

So ex-DH and I have had a massive disagreement about this.
I found out, or rather guessed, that ex-DH had planned to take children, age 6 and 9 to meet his new girlfriend for the first time tomorrow. He'd also spoken to the children about it, but not mentioned it to me. As I said, it only came about because I intuited it.

My argument is that it is just a matter of respect to just mention it to me, or tell me first before telling the children. Or to just say, 'I'm thinking of etc....'.
That would mean I could talk to the kids first, and at least ask them if that's what they want. It's what I'd do.

His argument is that it's not a big deal, that it's none of my business, he's their father. And that friends of his have said that it's not my concern.
One of his retorts to me was, 'don't have mental health issues about it'
Which I found staggering.

Anyway, I'm wondering, because I feel that it's a normal that thing to run past the co-parent about meeting new partners. I thought that's how these things normally went.

trinity0097 Fri 17-Feb-17 20:58:24

I wouldn't' have thought it was necessary to run it past you, when he has them he is parenting them how he sees fit, just like you do when you have them.

LexieLulu Fri 17-Feb-17 21:00:28

How long have you been separated?

Deadsouls Fri 17-Feb-17 21:00:36

Okay, run it past, is the wrong expression as that implies permission. Maybe mention it, so I could speak to the kids about it.

rollonthesummer Fri 17-Feb-17 21:00:43

No-I don't think he's done anything wrong.

Deadsouls Fri 17-Feb-17 21:02:10

Lexie we have been apart for about 4 years I'd say. This is the first new partner for either of us, that kids would meet.
Maybe I've got this all wrong. Not been in this situation before.

AuntieStella Fri 17-Feb-17 21:02:18

I'm afraid that I agree with him.

You wouldn't want to run your new friends past him either.

Even when it's crass, hurtful, or downright-barking, when they are with the it her parent it is totally up to that parent to decide who his DC meet.

trinity0097 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:02:36

Why do you need to speak to them about it, he has spoken to them about it, if they have concerns no doubt they will share them with you.

Guitargirl Fri 17-Feb-17 21:03:05

I don't think he's done anything wrong here tbh.

Deadsouls Fri 17-Feb-17 21:03:06

Okay I can see how this going to go. I should've posted this in a different forum.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 17-Feb-17 21:03:40

I don't recall mentioning to XH when DS met my DP. Why should it be different if it's the dad and his new partner?

trinity0097 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:13

Don't ask if you are unreasonable, then be upset if we think you are!

Guitargirl Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:14

Posted in a different forum? Why - because you aren't getting the responses you wanted?

LexieLulu Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:14

Hmm after four years I don't think I would have run it past my ex. It's not like the feeling of parents separating is raw to the children, they are used to it now. He did tell them first which is right of him.

But it was wrong for him to snap at you when you expressed your concern

staywoke Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:20

Sorry OP but it's not your business. Your ex is allowed to make his own parenting decisions regarding the children. He has a new partner that he trusts and I'm sure at age 6 and 9 your dc are capable of understanding the situation without you talking them through it.

VikingVolva Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:55

No, it's fine here.

I think you'll see similar advice in any MN topic.

Because he is an equal parent, and he gets to choose what happens when the DC are with him. Just as you get to choose when with you.

GTS Fri 17-Feb-17 21:05:10

Your post says 'should have asked if it was okay', which is unreasonable. I do think it would have been preferable / sensible to mention it, even just in passing, given the age of your DC.
I wouldn't bother having a massive disagreement, just tell him it would be preferable that he mentions it next time he gets a new girlfriend.

getdownfromthere Fri 17-Feb-17 21:07:22

I'm getting the feeling you're just looking out for your kids.
That's all.

neonrainbow Fri 17-Feb-17 21:07:58

4 years? No you don't get a say on this. You're coming across really controlling.

Bahh Fri 17-Feb-17 21:08:51

Why should you have posted in a different forum? To get more people to agree with you? Doesn't really work that way. You ask peoples opinions and you get peoples opinions.

You said yourself you've never been in this situation so don't know what the etiquette is. Well it looks like the majority of people are telling you what the etiquette is.

I'm a step parent. I was introduced to SD without mentioning anything to mum, she sent one or two shitty texts and got over it. Funnily enough she never thought to mention it to OH when she was introducing men to SD.

It's normal, sorry.

Deadsouls Fri 17-Feb-17 21:09:44

Trinity - hence I said I'd posted in the wrong forum. I was looking for support which I should've got in real life from friends, not on an Internet forum. Mistake.

Guitar - yes maybe you're right for the reasons above. This is not the right place for this.

Deadsouls Fri 17-Feb-17 21:10:52

I've asked for this thread to be removed. I made a mistake posting this on here.

noschooll4mee Fri 17-Feb-17 21:10:59

I agree with you OP . If my partner and I were apart I would expect some sort of discussion about how new partners were introduced. For example I would not be happy to have a succession of partners introduced , I would not expect my partner to compromise his access time with his kids by spending it with a partner tagging along . I would hope we would have a general agreement or heads up about how things are going with regard to new partners .
I am completely aware the OP didn't suggest that her ex had a succession of partners/or compromised access time . I was just using this as examples of issues I might have .
And yes.. .. my ex would hear all about my opinion !

aintnobodygottimefodat Fri 17-Feb-17 21:11:31

I'm with your ex on this one, sorry. I didn't mention anything to my ex about introducing our DD to my now DH. I don't expect him to tell me when he's introducing her to his new partner either. I trust his judgement, as he does mine.

Sweets101 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:11:53

I agree with you OP. For 2 reasons
1 I think it'should important to treat each other respectfully when co-parenting after a separation
2 For the children's benefit. As if he doesn't tell you they will, it is unfair to put them in that situation as if you have any unease/discomfort it will be much harder to mask it from them if they are the first to tell you. It's quite a thoughtless position to put them in IMO.
So, for those reasons yes I do think him being the one to tell you before the meeting is the right thing to do from the POV of good parenting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now