Talk

Advanced search

To hate tea bags with labels?

(27 Posts)
Megatherium Fri 17-Feb-17 17:34:12

It's those poncey ones with strings and labels attached. I get it that it's supposed to make it easier to lift the teabag out, but really, how difficult is it to fish a bag out with a spoon? The strings just get in the way when you're stirring the tea, and it's bloody infuriating when they wind themselves round the spoon.

Dogivemeabreak Fri 17-Feb-17 17:41:13

So pull the strings off. Stop being melodramatic.

Megatherium Fri 17-Feb-17 18:47:05

Ah, the usual AIBU spirit of peace and love, I see. Does posting something on here automatically mean that you're melodramatic.

Plus our office doesn't have scissors in the kitchen area, and I never remember to take any with me.

PinkBuffalo Fri 17-Feb-17 18:59:43

I agree OP. I get into a real mess trying to extract a stringed tea bag. Titles all the way in this house, with a teaspoon and tea bag tweezer things to squeeze the bag.

PinkBuffalo Fri 17-Feb-17 19:00:51

I meant Tetley all the way! Bloomin auto correct!

SherlockPotter Fri 17-Feb-17 19:05:23

I like them, they make me feel posh... grin

Dahlietta Fri 17-Feb-17 19:08:48

They are incompatible with my habit of putting the tea bag in the mug or pot and then pouring the water in. However careful I try to be, the force of the water causes the label and string to be sucked into the water and then I have to fish a soggy label out of my tea before it disintegrates. I won't compromise on the 'tea bag first' approach because it reduces the need to stir and I am quite lazy.

greeeen Fri 17-Feb-17 19:09:22

YES so annoying! Then when you yank too hard in frustration it burstsangry

hollinhurst84 Fri 17-Feb-17 19:09:37

I like them because I drink my tea with the bag still in it

GoldenGlobe Fri 17-Feb-17 19:11:32

I was just fishing out a peppermint tea bag label 2 minutes ago. But they are such lovely little tea bags, kind of silky triangular with a label. They just wouldn't be the same without the label. But I do find it irritating!

The80sweregreat Fri 17-Feb-17 19:32:38

They are annoying.
I cant get the string off the spoon..first world problem, but still annoying.

BewtySkoolDropowt Fri 17-Feb-17 20:12:59

Dahlietta, you wrap the string around the handle before you put the water in - top tip wink

RB68 Fri 17-Feb-17 20:30:11

HAve you seen the bags that have two draw strings - so not only do they have a string you have to avoid drowning by wrapping round handle before adding water you then have to figure out how to squeeze the teabag by pulling the strings. Way overengineered for a tea bag what a waste of brain power and resources to manufacture

Megatherium Sat 18-Feb-17 00:47:21

Yes to the menace of these things bursting or tearing. I seem to get a mouthful of tealeaf dregs much more often with these things.

Bahh Sat 18-Feb-17 00:55:51

I've never had any of these problems!

Hold the label while you pour the water

Lift the label up and down gently instead of using spoons or stirrers to get the colour you like

Lift out gently at the end, don't use a spoon

Simple! I like them because I often have tea at work and we don't have tea spoons anywhere.

Dahlietta Sat 18-Feb-17 12:09:34

Bewty, that's clever grin

bruffin Sat 18-Feb-17 12:10:54

the knack is to wrap the string round the handle

user1484394242 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:13:25

Tea bags that come in twos annoy me more than the string. And condoms. How often do you use 2 at a time?

Trills Sat 18-Feb-17 12:15:30

I wouldn't have them in my house

But I think they are useful in a cafe to be sure you've got the right bag.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 18-Feb-17 12:16:24

YABU.

If it doesn't have a strong you need to use a spoon which is just extra washing up. I tend to leave my tea bags in until I've finished the drink anyway as I don't drink real tea just wanky infusions.

* Any links that may appear in my post were not put there by me, so don't click them...

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 18-Feb-17 13:16:33

I just shove the whole lot in the cup, string and all. Sometimes I rip the label off though, so it's just the bag and string.

Badcat666 Sat 18-Feb-17 13:19:07

I got posh teabags for chrimbo, I had to hunt down the scissors to cut the bloody string off the spoon. Give me a normal tea bag any day of the week.

BigDamnHero Sat 18-Feb-17 13:22:31

I stick all used teabags in our food waste caddy so it's annoying when they have any extra bits that can't go in there (string, label, even a staple sometimes to attach the two).

Schwifty Sat 18-Feb-17 13:25:54

user1484394242

An overly excitable man, and a brew for each of you afterwards grin

ErrolTheDragon Sat 18-Feb-17 17:43:56

A small and annoying waste of card and string. I don't like it when speciality teabags (esp herbals) are individually wrapped either.

How often do you use 2 at a time?
Only when I'm making a thermos to take on a walk. If I'm making tea in a pot it will be looseleaf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now