Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To really wish someone other than Tony Blair had asked us to rise up against brexit?

(324 Posts)
DeviTheGaelet Fri 17-Feb-17 14:57:35

Can't see a thread about this. And yes I know there is a brexit topic but I wanted to post in AIBU to see what people thought. If you don't want to read about brexit and have no opinion click away now.
Tony Blair is urging remainers to rise up against brexit because we didn't know what we were voting for and it's going to be disastrous for the country.
I totally agree it's a disaster and I think it's shocking we can plunge into the unknown when only just over 50% of voters voted for it in an advisory referendum with a campaign based on lies. I've been desperate for a political party to get behind on a remain ticket.
But why the fuck does it have to be Tony Blair, the man who totally ignored strong public feeling on Iraq who says this? Where are the opposition in parliament?

HallowedMimic Fri 17-Feb-17 15:02:40

I thought the same.

I'm an ardent remainer. I understand why people voted the other way, but I think they were hopelessly misguided grin.

When I read about Blair's opinions though, well, a bit of me cringed.

BeyondUnderthinking Fri 17-Feb-17 15:05:36

Urgh, I hadn't seen this.

Just... urgh.

JustDanceAddict Fri 17-Feb-17 15:06:38

Agree. Shame Corbyn couldn't have stood up against it where it counted.

OldmaidLyonsmaid23 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:08:55

reverse psychology? he has no room left to talk imho

Sandsnake Fri 17-Feb-17 15:10:47

I am an ardent pro-Remainer. I also think TB did a lot of good for the country and broadly agree with a much of his politics. However, even I think that he is wrong man to speak out. Whether it's fair or not his 'brand' at present is pretty toxic and not something I think is going to be helpful in rallying people to the cause.

MysticTwat Fri 17-Feb-17 15:11:20

It's really hard to not be suspicious of him and therefore his agenda.

I really hate the man.

Pineappletastic Fri 17-Feb-17 15:11:51

YANBU

I said to my DH at the time that his face was the last thing we needed on our side!

Rugbyplayersarehot Fri 17-Feb-17 15:12:24

We are talking about this issue in the 'embarrassed to be labour thread' so feel free to join us.

Agree op it's excruciating that Blaire is stepping in and doing Corbyn job for him.

Shows how utterly crap and embarrassing Corbyn is and how my Labour Party had voted a completely idiot to lead us again into the wilderness years.

BeBeatrix Fri 17-Feb-17 15:12:25

I strongly disagree with campaigning to ignore or reverse the referendum result.

I also strongly disagree with so much of what Mr Blair has done and said.
He's unprincipled yet self-righteous and seems to regard himself as superior to others.

IMO he's eminently suitable to encourage people to rise up against Brexit!

PollytheDolly Fri 17-Feb-17 15:13:07

Tony B"liar".

Arsehole.

Rugbyplayersarehot Fri 17-Feb-17 15:14:44

It's ashamed not embaressed but what's in a word.

Musicinthe00ssucks Fri 17-Feb-17 15:16:17

Why are Remainers so convinced that a second referendum would see us staying in the EU? What if we had a second referendum and the result was broadly the same? Would you keep fighting to overturn the result? And yes, I do realise a referendum is an opinion poll. Genuine questions here.

Lindy2 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:16:35

Tony Blair is arrogant and has a very overinflated view of his own importance. Listening to him makes me even more certain that leave is the correct option. I am more anti EU now than I have ever been.

FloweringDeranger Fri 17-Feb-17 15:25:16

I'm a remainer who didn't like the idea of a second referendum at first, but with Trump now ensconced in the White House I really struggle to find any sense in Brexit. Now we have a better idea about May's directions and plans is there not room for confirmation that hard Brexit is what we want?

But Blair... one of the most divisive figures in a divided nation. Who continued us down the path leading to these divides. I agree with what he says, especially about Brexit being the "single most important decision this country has taken since the Second World War and debate can't now be shut down about it." , but can't we find someone else to take on the likes of Johnson and Farage?

AllTheLight Fri 17-Feb-17 15:27:03

I agree OP

peggyundercrackers Fri 17-Feb-17 15:30:12

the man is an utter cockwomble. I don't know anyone who has any respect for him and his own self importance. tony do us all a favour and fuck off back to where you came from.

TempsPerdu Fri 17-Feb-17 15:30:59

I agree to some extent OP - I'm no great fan of TB either, although I don't have the visceral hatred of him that lots of others seem to! He seems have the rare talent of uniting all sides against him and my first reaction on hearing the speech was 'Oh no, not bloody Blair again!'

However... as an ardent Remainer, I'm genuinely struggling to think of anyone else who could do it. Corbyn's useless and ambivalent about the EU anyway; the Lib Dems have tried, but they can't get the media exposure (and Clegg seems almost as tainted by the coalition/tuition fees as Blair is by Iraq); Remain MPs of all parties (Ken Clarke being an honourable exception) are too terrified of the consequences to do anything meaningful...

I think part of the reason Blair's acting now is precisely because no one else is stepping up. He's immediately recognisable (albeit not in a good way!) and has an automatic media platform and great contacts. He's already hated by so many that he has nothing left to lose popularity-wise (as opposed to MPs who are terrified of losing their seats), and he's old enough, rich enough and thick-skinned enough not to worry too much about the opposition. Who else do we have in the same position? And is there anyone high profile in politics who is genuinely whiter than white and can't be discredited for speaking out?

David Miliband is the only other name who comes to mind, but I doubt he has the appetite for it.

PageStillNotFound404 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:32:14

Music I'm a Remainer who would now welcome a second referendum. I think it's now marginally clearer as to what Brexit means based on May's recent pronouncements, and much clearer on what it doesn't mean - including no £350m a week to the NHS. So we'd have something more of an idea what we're really voting for this time.

I think there would also be less complacency - on both sides - and probably a higher turnout and possibly a clearer cut difference, one way or the other. If the decision continued to be in favour of leaving the EU, I'd still be unhappy and worried about the future but I'd accept the result and would lose the feeling that the previous referendum was based on so much lies.

I don't think it will happen, but that's what I would like and why.

PageStillNotFound404 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:33:35

So *many lies. I've lost the ability to English.

TheOriginalChatelaine Fri 17-Feb-17 15:35:40

Tony Blair, warmonger and shameless, wading into the debate is an absolute gift to Brexit. The Prime minister who took us into an illegal war with Iraq without the terms being known. A gift I say. Huge.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 17-Feb-17 15:36:38

It's all down to what he decided to do in power that made people vote to leave the EU. I really don't understand why people struggle with why people voted to leave

Witchend Fri 17-Feb-17 15:37:24

He's only after headlines for himself.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Fri 17-Feb-17 15:39:47

the man is an utter cockwomble. I don't know anyone who has any respect for him and his own self importance. tony do us all a favour and fuck off back to where you came from

THIS!

TheOriginalChatelaine Fri 17-Feb-17 15:41:03

Tony Blair, warmonger and shameless, wading into the debate is an absolute gift to Brexit. Huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now