Talk

Advanced search

To ask landlord whether I can have a cat?

(25 Posts)
lanabythebeach Fri 17-Feb-17 14:04:50

I've only been renting this house for 2 months. When I moved in it didn't say no pets. Wibu to ask whether I can have one or is it too soon?

Cornettoninja Fri 17-Feb-17 14:06:22

No harm in asking. I'd offer a pet deposit too. Think ours was £250.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 17-Feb-17 14:07:24

If it didn't specify I would assume it's OK. . But check if you feel more comfortable first. Offer to have all carpets cleaned before you leave as that's what they mostly worry about regarding pets!!

SherlockPotter Fri 17-Feb-17 14:07:53

I'm assuming if it didn't say 'no pets' then they are allowed, you will have to pay a fee though!

OrchidaceousRose Fri 17-Feb-17 14:10:31

Not at all.

Pancakeflipper Fri 17-Feb-17 14:14:34

Ask. Be horrid if you get one and then the landlord says it's a big no no.

pilates Fri 17-Feb-17 14:15:29

No, probably best to find out earlier rather than later.

I hope they let you, mine gives me such pleasure.

PageStillNotFound404 Fri 17-Feb-17 14:16:56

Not too soon, but as others have suggested I'd be proactive in suggesting that you'll pay for professional cleaning on quitting the property (if that isn't already in your lease) and I'd email my request rather than call so both sides have a written record of exactly what's agreed or otherwise.

winniewigs Fri 17-Feb-17 15:03:37

You might as well ask. We had to get written permission from our landlord before we adopted our rescue cat. Our landlord didn't mind at all, as cats don't tend to do damage, like a dog could potentially. She does a good job, and keeps the mice at bay.

melj1213 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:37:02

Since it desn't actually say you can't have them in the contract, I would use this to couch it in terms of "informing" rather than "asking" the landlord about getting a pet. Since technically it isn't covered you aren't breaching your contract by getting one, but you also don't want to create a bad relationship with your landlord either so if you want to show that you're a good tenant, possibly offering a pet deposit (to cover you both if there is any potential damage) or some other agreement would help towards that.

"Dear landlord,

We have been considering adopting a cat and upon reviewing our tenancy agreement, it has come to our attention that there is no clause included regarding pets, specifically regarding the prohibiton of having them in the rental. Based upon that, it would appear that there is no restriction regarding pets being kept in the property and so there should not be a problem with us getting a cat. Can you please confirm, before we make the committment to become pet owners, that there would be no issue with this?

Obviously we would take responsibility for any costs incurred that were a direct result of our pet's actions/behaviour and are willing to provide a reasonable pet deposit to cover any damages/cleaning required upon vacating the property if required. If you would not be happy with this arrangement I am more than willing to discuss this further with you to find a solution that is acceptable to us both.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon regarding this issue.

Regards,

lanabythebeach"

reallyanotherone Fri 17-Feb-17 15:40:22

The only other thing to consider is how secure is your tenancy?

If you move it can be very difficult with pets in tow, so you need to make provision. Can you afford short or long term cattery, friends or family that would take the cat, for example?

Gingerbreadmam Fri 17-Feb-17 15:43:39

we were told no pets in ours then text the landlord how we always contact each other and asked if we were allowed a small dog and she was fine just said we would have to make any / pay for any pet related repairs if we left.

our little sausage dog has put a million clicks in the carpet confused but thats a risk we took.

ArchNotImpudent Fri 17-Feb-17 15:46:01

No harm in asking! Have you lived with cats before?

BlondeBecky1983 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:49:47

I would ask. I have place that I rent out and I said no pets but, having cats myself, I would have no problem if someone wanted a cat.

lanabythebeach Fri 17-Feb-17 15:50:55

Yeah I've had 2 cats before. One of them caused a bit of damage to the carpet but there are only carpets upstairs in this house. I will try to keep the cat downstairs if the landlord agrees.

ArchNotImpudent Fri 17-Feb-17 15:59:12

It was carpet damage that was in my mind, lanaby - I had a cat that obsessively scratched the stair carpet - but it sounds as though you've got that covered.

sibys1 Fri 17-Feb-17 16:42:45

What does your lease say? If it doesn't forbid pets (which is a very common clause) then I wouldn't even bother asking.

specialsubject Fri 17-Feb-17 17:08:26

General terms are 'permission shall not be unreasonably refused' so no dog if you are out all day (unreasonable)but a cat would be fine. Offer replacement of items clawed/excreted on and flea treatment as and when you leave.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 17-Feb-17 17:12:26

Ask. Are you planning on adopting from somewhere like RSPCA or Cats Protection?

If so, they will ask to see either your written letter of permission from your LL or a copy of your tenancy agreement stating that pets are allowed.

I know this as we recently adopted two beautiful little ladies from our local RSPCA centre. I applied for the written permission before even going to look (in case the LL said no) and received the letter less than a week later.

TrickyD Fri 17-Feb-17 17:17:43

One of my tenants asked if he could have have one. As I am a cat lover and he is a vet I said OK. I wouldn't be too pleased to find a pet if I had not been asked though.

scaryteacher Fri 17-Feb-17 17:33:26

I let my property out as cat friendly. I would not allow a dog however.

AVirginLitTheCandle Fri 17-Feb-17 17:49:48

No harm in asking imo.

The place I'm renting now specified no pets however I have 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs and a hamster (and previously had a rabbit before the guinea pigs) and my landlord has never had a problem with it.

SuperSheepdog Fri 17-Feb-17 18:03:52

You should ask, they may well say yes. Just beware it's very hard to keep a cat downstairs only and not necessarily very kind to the cat! If the cat scratches holes in the carpet then expect to have to pay for a replacement when you move out. My cat scratched gaping holes in the carpet shock

PageStillNotFound404 Fri 17-Feb-17 18:06:23

We rent with cats and a dog. We have cheapish but aesthetically acceptable rugs to protect the LL's flooring as much as possible. Obviously not possible on stairs but otherwise they do a decent job. It does help that our cats prefer to scratch our sofa hmm

Kikikaakaa Fri 17-Feb-17 18:30:29

I have cats in rented and they have wrecked some carpets. I replaced one already. The other one they just keep taking up from the grippers angry

Everyone has a cat in my rented flats. They also cause outside mess with bins, bear that in mind too. And dead things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now