Is it unreasonable to think everyone is wrong

(140 Posts)
iwasstarving Fri 17-Feb-17 13:25:09

If everyone said the same thing about something but you disagreed, would you reconsider or think they were wrong?

Crispbutty Fri 17-Feb-17 13:25:40

Depends what it was

MrsDustyBusty Fri 17-Feb-17 13:26:02

It would depend. What are their reasons? Is it primarily to do with you or them?

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Fri 17-Feb-17 13:26:32

Completely depends what it is

iwasstarving Fri 17-Feb-17 13:27:33

to do with me

allthelaundrywecannotsee Fri 17-Feb-17 13:28:00

as above but also who 'everyone' was...

BoboChic Fri 17-Feb-17 13:28:22

If you have sound data and analysis for your position you may well be right.

Lots of issues in society arise from collective denial of a major problem that seems too difficult to address. I also think that "fake news" is just the visible tip of the iceberg and that lots of seriously crap ideas underpin modern society!

MrsDustyBusty Fri 17-Feb-17 13:29:40

If it's to do with you, yours is the important opinion.

Cakingbad Fri 17-Feb-17 13:29:40

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round ...

Getnakedorgohome Fri 17-Feb-17 13:29:41

If 'everyone else' is my 4 yo dd and her friends who think that chocolate is fine for instead of vegetables with dinner, and I am on the other side then I would stick to my guns. It depends on the context.

alsmutko Fri 17-Feb-17 13:30:17

There's psychological studies on that. People who feel forced to change their views when everyone else says the same thing opposite.
Interesting.

ElvishArchdruid Fri 17-Feb-17 13:31:15

I think it depends on what you believe and how much time you've given to researching a subject.

DesolateWaist Fri 17-Feb-17 13:31:35

It would depend.
If it was that a certain celebrity was the sexiest man alive then my opinion that they are not is valid, the same as with music, art etc.
If it was something like religion or politics then everyone is entitled to their view and I think that holding your own view in the face of popular opinion is important.

If it was something that can be proven with facts then you opinion is a little less valid.

beebeecee Fri 17-Feb-17 13:31:46

It's all about context as pps have said.

JoanofNark17 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:31:46

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round

He didn't, and people wouldn't have anyway. It's a myth that anyone ever thought it was flat, as an accepted truth. The ancient greeks knew it was a globe.....

DesolateWaist Fri 17-Feb-17 13:32:29

If, however, everyone is telling you not to marry someone then sometimes people can see things that you can't.

OwlinaTree Fri 17-Feb-17 13:32:33

It depends. You could be in denial like the eating disorder thread the other day.

wigglesrock Fri 17-Feb-17 13:32:54

Obviously it depends grin, but if it was about me personally - whether or not I was capable of something, whether I could face it, whether it would be good for me/too hard/too upsetting/too easy then I get the final decision. Nobody knows me better than me.

Toottootcar Fri 17-Feb-17 13:33:10

That isn't true about Columbus though.

DesolateWaist Fri 17-Feb-17 13:33:11

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round

He didn't, and people wouldn't have anyway. It's a myth that anyone ever thought it was flat, as an accepted truth. The ancient greeks knew it was a globe.....

It's a song lyric.........

MaidOfStars Fri 17-Feb-17 13:33:37

Most people I know think I am a bad loser. I am not. I genuinely don't feel any bitter emotions after losing (although, of course, I may feel disappointment). In fact, I think I am an excellent loser; I always congratulate with a smile etc.

I am, however, very competitive. But that does not necessarily lead to being a bad loser. Those who call me a bad loser disagree. They are wrong grin

iwasstarving Fri 17-Feb-17 13:35:12

If people were saying something was wrong. and you knew it was, sort of but it didn't make you unhappy

beebeecee Fri 17-Feb-17 13:35:24

The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner grin

MaidOfStars Fri 17-Feb-17 13:35:57

If everyone told me that they thought my husband was abusive in some way, I would disagree (because I can't see he is abusive in any way), but I guess I would have to try to understand why they thought that. I wouldn't want to feel like I was deliberately blocking something out, or in denial.

beebeecee Fri 17-Feb-17 13:36:10

Drip feed much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now