Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To serve a takeaway to our visitors tonight?

(72 Posts)
listsandbudgets Fri 17-Feb-17 12:18:59

We have DD's friends parents coming for dinner and DD's friend is staying afterwards for a sleepover.

I was planning a lovely meal (roast beef with all trimmings followed by apple crumble and cream) but feeling very ill today and can't even cope with idea of getting dressed right now let alone cooking huge meal. I feel stiff and hurty and generally exhausted. Its nothing infectious - more side effects of medication I'm on which I recently had to increase dose of.

AIBU to serve them takeaway-we have a brilliant Turkish restaurant near us which we could easily get a meze and a big meat and rice platter from and there's some good ice cream in freezer....

but but but... I've never not cooked for my guests. It goes against all my instincts and I'm worried they'll think I'm really rude.

Right now feel I'll be doing well to shower, dress and empty the dishwasher

Cheesymonster Fri 17-Feb-17 12:23:09

That sounds lovely to me. I hope you have a nice evening and feel better soon. I'm sure your guests will understand.

Ginkypig Fri 17-Feb-17 12:23:21

I think it's fine I don't care as long as I get to eat yummy food grin

if I was a guest I wouldn't mind but I would hope that I'd be close enough to you that actually if you felt that Ill you could just say to me can we put it off for a week or so.

ElvishArchdruid Fri 17-Feb-17 12:23:44

You'll be fine, I know in your head you'd be all Mrs Beeton at the moment, cooking away, but that's going to have a big impact on you, so I'm sure they'll be fine with a take away.

Hope you start to feel a bit better later on.

AlpacaPicnic Fri 17-Feb-17 12:24:28

As long as you are not expecting them to pay for it <bitter voice of experience> then that's absolutely fine! More than acceptable. They will understand that you are not feeling yourself and they might discover a new favourite food that they wouldn't have tried before.

user1483387154 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:25:02

Sounds great to me as long as you do not expect them to pay anything towards it.

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Fri 17-Feb-17 12:25:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

listsandbudgets Fri 17-Feb-17 12:25:58

Pay for it? Who are these people who invite guests and ask them to pay for their own meal shock Hadn't crossed my mind

listsandbudgets Fri 17-Feb-17 12:26:17

Pay for it? Who are these people who invite guests and ask them to pay for their own meal shock Hadn't crossed my mind

strawberrypenguin Fri 17-Feb-17 12:27:23

Sounds fine to me, I wouldn't mind at all

lilyborderterrier Fri 17-Feb-17 12:28:00

Sounds fine to me xx hope you are feeling better xx

Kiroro Fri 17-Feb-17 12:28:38

Totally fine. Even if you weren't ill.

EnidB Fri 17-Feb-17 12:29:13

Sounds great - and I hope you feel better soon - or at least in tine to enjoy the meal!!

AlpacaPicnic Fri 17-Feb-17 12:36:21

lists "Pay for it? Who are these people who invite guests and ask them to pay for their own meal 'shock' Hadn't crossed my mind"

Then you are a much better host than some people...

BarbaraofSeville Fri 17-Feb-17 12:40:07

Mezze is one of my most favourite dinners in the world.

envy that you have one nearby that does takeaway.

They always give you about twice as much food as you need so I assume you won't mind if I come too?

HappyFlappy Fri 17-Feb-17 12:40:08

I would be delighted with any meal my friends were gracious enough to offer - whether it was swan stuffed with larks' tongues, or fish and chips!

Being welcomed and having the opportunity to share food and time with friends is wonderful in itself.

JoanofNark17 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:41:07

You'd be surprised at what other people find acceptable, OP!

Takeaway totally fine, and it sounds lovely. People come to see you. not to judge you on your cooking. Good food, some wine, good company...you don't need anything else, and you don't have anything to prove.

Plus anyone who turned their nose up at it can bugger off home, they aren't people you want to spend time with!

wigglesrock Fri 17-Feb-17 12:43:08

Sounds perfect - our friends are doing something similar next week. They've invited us over and they're ordering something. My friend has recently had an op and she's busting to see us but wants to stay close to home in her pjs.

YetAnotherSpartacus Fri 17-Feb-17 12:43:59

I'd be mortified that you hadn't said you were ill and could not cope with company. Seriously.

LucklessMonster Fri 17-Feb-17 12:44:56

Takeaway = absolutely fine.

But I would feel really awkward being a guest of an ill host. I would much rather you called and rearranged.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 17-Feb-17 12:46:44

Take away sounds fine.

But please cancel if you are ill. I'd be so upset to know you'd invited me over and really weren't up to it. I'd happily re schedule.

EssentialHummus Fri 17-Feb-17 12:47:44

They always give you about twice as much food as you need so I assume you won't mind if I come too?

grin Exactly! The Turkish/Middle Eastern restaurant model seems to be based on the idea that people only eat one meal a day, at 8pm, after running a half-marathon and doing 5:2 the day before.

Sounds great OP. If I'm going round to someone's for dinner I really don't mind what I'm served. And a nice takeaway is always a treat.

glitterazi Fri 17-Feb-17 12:57:18

I'd love whatever I was served - any food with friends is yummy to me. smile
Love takeaway so that sounds great.

Bluntness100 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:03:22

I'd also prefer you cancelled, to know someone was so ill they couldn't cook would make me so embarrassed to turn up. It's not the takeaway, although personallyi wouldn't serve one unless it was very good friends and I'd probably tell them in advance, though I'd be fine about eating one, but I'd hate to go to someone's house if they were so ill they struggled to shower and dress.

I don't see how you can enjoy he evening or have someone for a sleep over if you're not well.

Just rearrange and focus on getting better. 💐

user1471596238 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:03:53

YANBU at all. I would be very pleased to be offered a takeaway meal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now