Advanced search

To chase this complaint up with the estate agent?

(36 Posts)
Squidpinky Fri 17-Feb-17 11:28:41

My DD passed her test recently and has bought a car which she is parking on he road as no room on our drive. Our neighbour has taken a disliking to it, don't know why as it's not blocking his house or anyone's else's drive - it's just on the road.

My DD returned from work about 2 weeks ago and was met by he neighbour who was incredibly aggressive, shouting at her to move her car now and threatened that if she didn't she would be sorry. My DD was frightened and moved her car just so he would leave her alone.

When she told me I was furious. I emailed the estate agents who manage both our properties and made a formal complaint against our neighbour regarding the incident. I've heard nothing despite several phone calls to speak to the office manager until today when I received a generic email, which I assume has been sent to our neighbour. It said something along the lines of - the road has no ownership and they encourage us to come to a compromise, with a copy of the land registry. No mention of my complaint.

I have never been in a situation where I've had to complain to them before so no idea if what they have done is correct - but surely they should have acknowledged my complaint, spoken to the neighbour and let me know that they have dealt with it? Aibu to chase this up?

Astro55 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:31:42

I'd have phoned the police rather than the estate agent!

Ring the and ask

PotteringAlong Fri 17-Feb-17 11:32:32

But they have dealt with it. What more do you want them to do?

user1469781887 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:33:18

I'm not sure that it's up to the letting agent to resolve this issue for you.

EyeStye Fri 17-Feb-17 11:34:07

Do you both rent? They manage the property not the road so I'd say it's nothing to do with them you need to address directly

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Fri 17-Feb-17 11:35:31

What do you want them to do?

They have dealt with it, I think sending an email about no body owning the road is pretty much all an estate agents can do.

Have you had any more trouble from the neighbour since that incident? If so maybe the police is who need contacting not the agents

namechange20050 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:35:54

I don't really understand why you've involved the estate agent? Surely you just need to have a word with the neighbor and tell him that you are within your rights to park on thd road?

Squidpinky Fri 17-Feb-17 11:35:54

I suppose I just expected him to be spoke to by them and told that it is not acceptable to harass my DD! We pay the estate agents to deal with all affairs relating to our property and considering I made a complaint I just presume they would have acknowledged it?

namechange20050 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:36:21

Ha massive cross posts!

omnishamblesssssssssssssss Fri 17-Feb-17 11:38:29

Police. He threatened her

Pinkheart5915 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:38:38

I think they have dealt with it really I can't see what else they can do apart from sending a letter/email explaining that nobody owns the road etc.

Have you had any more incidents or just the 1 mentioned? If it's a regular thing you probably need to contact the police they may have a word, not the agents.

specialsubject Fri 17-Feb-17 11:39:08

The guy is indeed an arse but unless he can be proved to be behaving anti socially, there is no tenancy breach. To prove would need the police. The agent needs to know to tell the landlord, but the only way to stop this is to evict. A landlord cannot control tenant behaviour.

KidLorneRoll Fri 17-Feb-17 11:39:47

This has nothing to do with the letting agent. What they replied with is perfectly reasonable, it's up to you to sort this out as adults, or you need to call the police if you are concerned that your daughter has been harassed or otherwise endangered.

AmeliaLeopard Fri 17-Feb-17 11:41:01

Estate agents are there to deal with problems related to the property, not other people living near the property. Deal with them the same way you would if they owned their house. Ignore passive aggressive stuff, report threats to the police.

user1469781887 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:45:17

If you're renting presumably the landlord is paying the letting agent to manage the property, not sort out disputes between neighbours.

Surely you can tell your neighbour that it is not acceptable to harass your DD?

As others have said, perhaps this is a matter for the police, not the letting agent.

CheeseCakeSunflowers Fri 17-Feb-17 11:45:38

Its the agents job to manage the property they are not responsible for the tenants behaviour so I agree that this is not their problem. I think the best thing to do is for you to speak to your neighbour directly and ask him what his grievence is, if he becomes threatening or upsets your dd again then that is the time to speak to the police.

kingpin20 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:56:59

What was their reason for not wanting the car parked there?

TheProblemOfSusan Fri 17-Feb-17 11:58:22

I think you've done the right thing in telling them - there's a record now that he's been an arse about it. But they can't do much more than they have. So if he continues to be a twat and you need to get the police involved, tell them again - "re: previous email, unfortunately we've had to report him to the police this time because x y z, we thought you ought to know."

Then again if charges are pressed, etc. They might not do much but they may well decide not to renew his tenancy if he continues to cause them trouble.

LurkingHusband Fri 17-Feb-17 11:58:56

My DD was frightened

That's assault. Police.

BurningBridges Fri 17-Feb-17 12:00:00

You definitely need to stand up to this bully to help your DD, ok so you've had no luck with the estate agent, now you need to step in or ask the police.

LucklessMonster Fri 17-Feb-17 12:00:47

This is nothing to do with the estate agents.

unfortunateevents Fri 17-Feb-17 12:01:47

Nothing to do with the agents. If you wish to complain, why did you not speak to the neighbour yourself? They are responsible for the properties, not for neighbour disputes.

supersop60 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:02:38

Abuse is very unpleasant and not acceptable. Police? Did the neighbour give a reason? In my road, if someone parks too close to the entrance of my drive I don't have enough room to turn the car to get into the drive, even if they're parked perfectly legally.

WatchingFromTheWings Fri 17-Feb-17 12:03:19

Definitely not a matter for the estate agent. Definitely a matter for the police. He threatened her.

sunshinesupermum Fri 17-Feb-17 12:04:32

I'd suggest reparking the car in the open road as your DD did before and if the neighbour objects/makes her frightened again you or your DH talks to neighbour directly. If he is aggressive contact the police. Your DD has every right t park in the open road wherever she likes (not outside 'his' property obv ) Please don't let your DD be bullied by this man.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: