Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be really struggling to get over this?

(34 Posts)
Lonelybutnice Fri 17-Feb-17 06:49:15

I think I'm being rather pathetic but I am really struggling to get over this! I applied for a job late last year. I got through to the assessment stage, to interview then I was offered the job just before Xmas. I was really ecstatic.

Anyway, I just found out I've been refused the job offer after vetting as I have a CCJ. I didn't know that this would impact, I've offered to pay it off entirely but they won't enter conversation about it.

I'm really struggling to get past this! I'm usually good at putting things into perspective and obviously I know people have much, MUCH harder things to deal with! But I was so proud of myself for getting the job and it meant a lot for me and my family (we've struggled recently)

It seems to have stirred up old feelings of self loathing I thought I'd left behind and I can't shake them. Does anybody have any advice on how I can just put this behind me? I'm applying for other jobs.

wowfudge Fri 17-Feb-17 07:13:01

Well if you can, pay off the CCJ. Treat it as a lesson learned. Take the view that the company has missed out on you and you'll get something better.

KayTee87 Fri 17-Feb-17 07:15:45

If you have the means to pay off the ccj entirely then why haven't you done it anyway? Sorry if that sounds harsh, just don't understand really.
Did the company say they were doing a credit check?
Just apply for some new things to take your mind off it.

Lonelybutnice Fri 17-Feb-17 07:22:42

Thank you. Yes, they said they would carry out financial checks but that being upfront about it was more important so obviously I was upfront about it.

My uncle has offered to pay it off in order to secure the job, then I will repay him in instalments.

annielouise Fri 17-Feb-17 08:03:43

That's harsh. Money troubles can affect anyone. I think you used to be able to add a note to your credit profile. I defaulted on a credit card as my ex had used it behind my back and ran up the card. I paid it off and put a note on my file with Experian what happened. This was 15 years ago now. It's good you've paid it off (or your uncle has). Don't let it get you down. Move forwards from it now. If there is any explanation why you couldn't pay it off then perhaps let the company know.

Trifleorbust Fri 17-Feb-17 08:06:46

Ignore any harsh comments - lots of people get into difficult financial situations. I am glad your uncle has agreed to help. This would have upset me too flowers

MsJamieFraser Fri 17-Feb-17 08:09:22

At application stage did you inform them of your CCJ? As you would have had to sign a declaration to say you had one?, if you signed a false declaration, that is likely the reason you haven't been given the position as you have been dishonest.

AntiHop Fri 17-Feb-17 08:12:54

Yanbu to be upset. I had no idea jobs could be refused on that basis.

Hoppinggreen Fri 17-Feb-17 08:14:02

I can understand why you're so upset but I imagine the company's hands are tied.
Pay it off and then maybe you could approach them again? I do think that even if paid off though it stays n your file for quite a while.
The issue is whether you lied about it at any point as I imagine that would rule you out completely

Looneytune253 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:15:11

It depends, were you taking steps to sort this out before you went for the job? If not this is likely why as you are only now sorting it out to get the job and it may seem like you had no intentions before that? Spin this round and give yourself the motivation to sort it out, put a plan in place so it can't haunt you again.

Lonelybutnice Fri 17-Feb-17 08:15:50

Thank you guys. Yes, I was honest about it. Thats why I wish they'd told me straight away, the way they informed me was very harsh. I had to travel to their HR office in the city for a hearing test (as part of the job offer) They put me in a little room and told me to answer the phone when it rang. I thought it was part of the hearing test but when I answered the phone they told me I'd failed vetting and wouldn't be going any further.

malificent7 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:16:46

Would you really eant to work for a company that tefuses you because of past financial problems?

I bloody wouldnt.... the cheek!

Gallavich Fri 17-Feb-17 08:18:32

If it's a job with a financial institution then that makes sense. Anything else and they can get to fuck. Especially with the way they told you! Cunts.

sparepantsandtoothbrush Fri 17-Feb-17 08:19:31

They put me in a little room and told me to answer the phone when it rang. I thought it was part of the hearing test but when I answered the phone they told me I'd failed vetting and wouldn't be going any further.

shock I wouldn't want to work for a company who thought that was OK! What utter shits

MsJamieFraser Fri 17-Feb-17 08:19:34

What was the position? I run an orginasation and I also won't employ someone with CCJ, due to the nature of our company.

You neee to get the CCJ paid of, the majority of companies are doing this now, due to a number of reasons x

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 17-Feb-17 08:20:28

Are you applying for a job with the police as an officer or in their control room or something? Because integrity is everything to a job like that. Not being upfront is the same as lying in scenarios like this I'm afraid.

AristotlesTrousers Fri 17-Feb-17 08:21:12

I had to travel to their HR office in the city for a hearing test (as part of the job offer) They put me in a little room and told me to answer the phone when it rang. I thought it was part of the hearing test but when I answered the phone they told me I'd failed vetting and wouldn't be going any further.

What?! That's a horrible thing to do to you. This would really upset me too - both the fact of the policy and the way they delivered the news. flowers

Guitargirl Fri 17-Feb-17 08:21:27

That does sound harsh - especially the way they told you shock.

I understand your frustration at getting so far and then the only thing that prevented you getting the job was financial circumstances - which presumably getting the job would help fix? That sucks.

Trifleorbust Fri 17-Feb-17 08:24:01

They sound like idiots - I wouldn't work for them after that anyway. It's not the Crystal Maze!

Toast3 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:29:38

That's an horrendous way of telling you! I think you dodged a bullet.
Good luck with your future job search. I'm sure you will find a company more deserving of you!

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Fri 17-Feb-17 08:32:37

Woah! You want motivation to get over this? Your second post is reason enough I think. Why on earth would you want to work somewhere that thought that was acceptable? You're worth more than that. Now use it as experience and get something better. You must accept your uncles offer to help and I think you can get the CCJ removed from your file but you will have to apply to whoever it was who issued it.

Girlsworld92 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:35:35

I don't understand. You told them upfront about the CCJ but they still put you through the interview process which in itself can be stressful then told you via a phone in a room that you haven't been successful. Wtf??? Sound likes the most bizarre thing ever. Please don't waste your time and energy getting down about a company that obviously doesn't value or respect its employees. You deserve better. Good luck.

BillSykesDog Fri 17-Feb-17 08:42:56

Telling you like that is shitty. I imagine it's something to do with data protection though.

Remember it's nothing personal. If it's a bank/police I think it has something to do with anti bribery and corruption laws and is not their choice. They could have thought you were the most amazing candidate ever and not been able to offer you the job.

nachogazpacho Fri 17-Feb-17 08:47:13

That's a really weird way of telling you. Really weird.

Gwenhwyfar Fri 17-Feb-17 08:54:56

"Telling you like that is shitty. I imagine it's something to do with data protection though."

What??? There is nothing in data protection rules to say to lie to someone and pretend they're having a hearing test and then tell them they haven't got the job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now