Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that the word troll is overused?

(7 Posts)
MOISTOWLETT Thu 16-Feb-17 22:24:16

Hello, long time lurker & and first time poster and all that jazz!

Now I've been on the internet for a number of years and even if you disagree with someone you're now likely to be called a troll. For example I said I do not like Beyoncé and I was called a troll just for having a different opinion. What do you lovely MNers think? smile

user1477282676 Fri 17-Feb-17 05:40:53

What did you SAY about Beyonce though? If you said "I think she's a mentally ill weirdo" or something ridiculous then that's trollish.

If you just said "Meh...I can take her or leave her" then that's not trolling.

If you went on a Beyonce fan page and proclaimed "Beyonce's Crap!" then that is also trollish.

Birdsgottaf1y Fri 17-Feb-17 05:55:20

I see this in Chat, all of the time.

A quick search would show that the OP is a long term regular poster, but once one poster starts with the accusation, others just pile in.

GlacindaTheTroll Fri 17-Feb-17 06:40:42

Yes, I think you're right.

Trolling is increasingly widely used to mean 'any online comment another person perceives as negative'

rather than the deliberate act of going to that person's/organisation's site to disrupt it (by insult or any other means)

So no, saying on MN that you don't like a particular sleb isn't in itself trolling in the older sense.

MaisyPops Fri 17-Feb-17 06:54:19

Having a different view - not trolling

Finding pages and writing things purely because you know people will react (e.g. going on a formula feed thread and ssaying "i cant even believe you idiots think thisbis acceptable parenting") - trolling

Its the intended disruption that makes itvtrolling

Sparklingbrook Fri 17-Feb-17 06:56:15

On MN if you accuse someone of being a troll you will be deleted for troll hunting.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Fri 17-Feb-17 07:08:31

It used to mean what Maisy said. I do think it's evolving slightly these days, so that someone who isn't a troll but is winding someone up can be "trolling" them, even though it's not true trolling in the sense of the word. IYSWIM. So deliberately saying something to tease rather than an actual targeted upsetting and/or disruptive campaign (like 4chan or the horrible people who were targeting Harvey Price, that sort of thing).

Does that make sense? It's early!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now