Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why a friend keeps telling about all the attention she gets?

(60 Posts)
CatchTheRainbow Thu 16-Feb-17 22:11:01

It's got to the point where it's none stop..

- She got a massive bouquet of flowers delivered on valentines but no idea who they are from.
- Guy had a couple of dates with her and was saying she's the one.
- Guy asked for her number on the bus.
- Colleague is sending her naked photos.
- Guy at work said she's absolutely stunning (she's told me this 4 times now).
- Another guy telling her he's fallen for her.

I honestly could go on ....

I just don't get why she does it. She's a lot prettier than I am 100% so it's not a jealousy thing ...

ProudBadMum Thu 16-Feb-17 22:12:06

But did it happen?

frauleinsallybowles Thu 16-Feb-17 22:13:06

maybe she making it up to make herself feel better op.

F1GI Thu 16-Feb-17 22:14:05

How awful for her.

She just needs to find one from this letchy bunch or preferably a nice one!

Justmuddlingalong Thu 16-Feb-17 22:14:14

She sounds insecure. Just nod and smile.

clumsyduck Thu 16-Feb-17 22:14:15

Daft as it sounds she's probably not confident in herself

DonaldStott Thu 16-Feb-17 22:14:48

If all of the above happened to me, of course I would tell my mate.

Tell her to keep quiet if she is boring you, but she will think it's because you are jealous, as that what it sounds like.

Pancakeflipper Thu 16-Feb-17 22:15:52

She's insecure.

hearyoume Thu 16-Feb-17 22:16:34

This is my DM's response to such people.

CatchTheRainbow Thu 16-Feb-17 22:16:52

Tell her to keep quiet if she is boring you, but she will think it's because you are jealous, as that what it sounds like.

Jealous? I'm not in the slightest bit jealous.

I've said she's a lot more pretty than me. I'm very average and so I'm realistic as to what attention I get and I'm fine with that.

Birdsgottaf1y Thu 16-Feb-17 22:17:42

I'd say a lack of confidence, so she wants constant reassurance.

When you get older/wiser, you realise that these situations are all about the men and not about you.

The colleague and bus incidents are disrespectful.

Guy at work isn't seeing (or commenting) any qualities, just her appearance, it's not something that you want at work.

WorraLiberty Thu 16-Feb-17 22:18:57

Surely those are all things you'd tell your friend? confused

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Thu 16-Feb-17 22:20:32

I'm confused - are you saying that you don't want her to tell you these things?

To me most of those events are interesting - I'd definitely be interested if a my friend was asked out on a bus or sent naked photos - it would be odd if they didn't mention stuff like this

ProudBadMum Thu 16-Feb-17 22:21:45

Oh things she's said to you? I thought you meant made it common knowledge to everyone?!

To you the yeh that's normal

CatchTheRainbow Thu 16-Feb-17 22:21:50

Surely those are all things you'd tell your friend?

Really you'd tell your friend four times about the same incident. That a guy at work said she's absolutely stunning and has the most amazing dress sense etc

She told me this happened on the day it was said.

She has since told me this story a further 3 times

pandarific Thu 16-Feb-17 22:21:57

She is for whatever reason trying to make you jealous though. Assert her dominance/seek your admiration? Could you tell her she's getting a bit broken record?

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Thu 16-Feb-17 22:22:15

Colleague saying she is stunning - less interesting - I'd nod and change the subject, or say "yeah, you told me that before" and move on

TheElephantofSurprise Thu 16-Feb-17 22:23:54

I tell people because I'm always so totally flabbergasted by any attention I receive.
My 'friends' are even more surprised - they never believe me.
That's amusing because I don't tell lies.

steff13 Thu 16-Feb-17 22:26:00

I feel like if those things happened to me, I'd tell my friends.

meganorks Thu 16-Feb-17 22:26:38

You tell your friend. You probably don't need to 4 times. My guess is insecurity as others have said. But maybe she is jealous of you in someway. More intelligent/better job/boyfriend I don't know. But going on and on about it is like she is having to reinforce that she is prettier than you as she knows she is lacking in other areas
Sure you aren't jealous of the dick pics!

steff13 Thu 16-Feb-17 22:26:43

I man came up to me a couple of months ago in the cereal aisle at the grocery store and told me I was a very beautiful woman, and I posted it on FB!

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Thu 16-Feb-17 22:28:12

If you don't want to talk about it, just tell her she told you that already, or change the subject.

I remember telling the same story several times to a friend once, I was really proud at having succeeded at something, and just really enjoyed telling it each time blush. After a few times she said "you've told that story three times already, it's getting boring", in an exasperated but cheerful way. I shut up! I'm v careful about doing this now.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Thu 16-Feb-17 22:28:12

I think you are meant to be inpressed

Colleague sending naked photos isn't a sign of him being in awe of her beauty it's a sign that he has no respect for her

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 16-Feb-17 22:30:33

It is a shame if she measures her self worth on how much male attention she receives.

And let's face it, no one likes a show off. grin

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Thu 16-Feb-17 22:33:06

A man did approach me once, look me up and down several times with an amazed expression, then said "wow......" <I inwardly preened ready for my compliment> ".... you are a very short lady".

shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now