Talk

Advanced search

To still be cringing a week later?

(12 Posts)
fluentinsarcasm Thu 16-Feb-17 21:47:12

Last week I was on my drive when my neighbour across the road stopped her car and said she was going to visit her DM who had fell down and blacked her eye (amongst other things)
Neighbour looks about 60-65 and reminds me of Miriam Margoyles, funky bright clothes and slightly mad salt n pepper hair.
Fast word to the weekend. I was at the supermarket checkout packing the shopping, when neighbour came walking towards me with a white haired older looking lady who was sporting a whopper of a black-eye.
I said in a nice loud cheery voice "Oh hello, is this your Mum?"
White haired lady, even louder "No I'm NOT her Mum, her Mum is 92!!!"
I think she was a friend blush Everyone in earshot stared and woman on the till had her had in a carrier bag (trying not to laugh)
What were the bloody chances? Feel awful, DH thinks it's funny, me, not so much...

OneWithTheForce Thu 16-Feb-17 21:52:25

Oh I did this once! My neighbour had a baby. I went over to visit. Neighbour was about 37/38 at the time. There was a woman sitting guarding cooing over the baby's crib and I went over for a peek. She side eyed me as if I was about to lift the baby and run off so I thought it must be grandma. I said "oh hello, are you X's mum?" (Nice and friendly) and she looked at me in horror and said "no I am not! I am her best friend" blush I was mortified! I apologised profusely and made a quick exit.

TreeTop7 Thu 16-Feb-17 22:36:58

I bumped into a university acquaintance in a park when I was visiting his home city a few years after graduating. We would have been about 24-25. He was queuing for coffee with a lady who looked about 50. I saiid, "aaah you must be Andy's mum - hi". She frowned. Andy looked mortified and said, "no this is my friend Diane from work".

Our mutual friend told me later that Diane was 30.

Andy and Diane eventually married but I never saw either of them again.

OneWithTheForce Thu 16-Feb-17 22:38:44

grin tree don't suppose you were invited to the wedding?

Toblerprawn Thu 16-Feb-17 23:31:34

grin I would have said the same! grin

Chloe84 Thu 16-Feb-17 23:35:11

I have terminal foot in mouth syndrome so I sympathise!

Maybe it was the mum and she's cackling away at embarrassing you? grin

Janey50 Fri 17-Feb-17 00:19:48

Not me but one of my DD's work colleagues. DD's DH was picking her up from work one afternoon,and one of her friends had accompanied her DH as they were all going out straight from collecting DD. Her friend is 38,five years older than DD. As her DH pulled into the car park,one of DD's work mates looked out of the window and said 'Your Hubby's here. Is that your mum with him?' DD found this hilarious,although her work mate was begging her not to tell her friend what he had said.

Janey50 Fri 17-Feb-17 00:20:26

She didn't BTW!

fc301 Fri 17-Feb-17 00:25:20

A friend was showing me holiday photos and naturally kept mentioning his 'mum's sister' as that was who they were visiting.
Came to a photo with someone I had not yet seen.
"Is that your mum's sister?' Said I ...
"No ... that's my Dad!"
Oops!!

LoupGarou Fri 17-Feb-17 00:36:43

grin Its easily done, DH has a real knack of it, has ever since I first met him.

The first time I met DH he tried to chat me up in the only bar the remote close knit town we both lived in at the time had. He kept making "hilarious" snaky comments about "your dad" and incest hmm. I was out for the evening with ex DP, who's a lot older than me, we had broken up but were fwb at that point.
To be fair he did come and apologise a few days later and got a bit of an eyeful as ex and I were occupied in the kitchen blush. DH had walked in through the unlocked door as I hadn't answered his knocking hmm.
He then sent me a card and some flowers to apologise and he eventually managed to convince me he wasn't a twat grin

NavyandWhite Fri 17-Feb-17 00:43:17

"No.... that's my Dad!"'grin that is funny!

Chug10 Fri 17-Feb-17 01:01:43

Will never forget the time we were all at a friends house and an older man knocked on the door for Sarah (we will call her Sarah for now)
My friends dad shouted up the stairs "Sarah? Your dad's at the door"
She came out bright red and said that's my fiancé.. granted he's 20 years older than her but my friends dad literally hid for hours with embarrassment grin

It happens to most people, just got to laugh it off lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now