Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask- sugar?

(3 Posts)
early30smum Thu 16-Feb-17 21:24:19

The 'maximum' daily amount of 'free sugar' (I.e. added sugar) 7-10 yr olds should have is 24g, and for 4-6 yr olds it's 19g.
http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/sugars.aspx

A dietician confirmed that natural sugars such as in milk, whole fruit etc don't count as added sugar. However, juice, smoothies etc do. Interestingly she also said dried fruit doesn't count as added or 'free' sugar.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had ever kept any kind of 'sugar diary' for their DC and what it had shown? I have, and even with my kids eating 90% homemade food, sometimes their sugar does go over the max.

Do you think the maximum suggested is realistic? Just after opinions really.

AlmostAJillSandwich Thu 16-Feb-17 21:29:13

I think sugar in everything should count tbh, it's still sugar, it isn't any healthier because it occurred naturally in an apple than what is naturally made in cane/beets then processed as table sugar. I'd much rather eat veg for 5 a day and avoid all the sugar.

Dobinette Thu 16-Feb-17 21:59:52

As far as I understand, whole fruit contains fibre as well as sugar, which reduces the impact of the sugar in the fruit. Blood sugar spikes occur when drinking fruit juice (which has no 'pulp' and therefore no fibre). Fruit is certainly better than cane sugar!!!

It's difficult to avoid added sugar if you don't cook everything from scratch. I try to make my own sauces, soups etc as most have far too much added sugar. Even bread has sugar in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now