Talk

Advanced search

Prisons

(38 Posts)
Holly3434 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:09:07

Can anyone tell me, what's different about private run prison? Do they have different rules if so what? I'd live to hear from anyone who's been inside. My brother's just gone to prison I want to know what its like

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:13:05

I've worked for NOMS for over 10 years. Privatised prisons run pretty much the same as the others, they are just funded differently and their operational targets are different etc.

the biggest differences within prisons are down to the catagory of prison and it's population demographic.

Im happy to answer any questions you have OP.

RochelleGoyle Thu 16-Feb-17 20:15:14

What do you work for public or private, or have you done both?

RochelleGoyle Thu 16-Feb-17 20:16:44

Stupid question sorry, you said NOMS, so public I assume.

Holly3434 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:17:04

What can they buy on the canteen? He's been asking for a fair bit of money

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:17:15

I work primarily in public but consult in private regularly too.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:18:54

Holly, do you know what estate he is in? Is he a cat A, B? If you don't know, do you know which prison?

Also, is he on remand, or has he been convicted? The rules for remand prisoners are a bit different to those of a convicted one.

RochelleGoyle Thu 16-Feb-17 20:19:30

Holly you can contact the individual establishment about that. There are lots of reasons he might be asking for money, not all if them ideal.

ExitStage Thu 16-Feb-17 20:20:36

I'm an ex screw (public sector). From the prisoners point of view, very little different apart from the uniform.

Canteen is individual to each prison, but broadly similar. The limits on spends are also pretty individual to each prison.

HappyGirl86 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:23:01

I've worked in prisons for years. I agree with Exit, from a prisoners point of view not much is different. Rules are the same etc
The usual stuff can be bought on the canteen- smokes, food, drink etc but he may be asking for money for other reasons. Do you have any other questions Holly?

Holly3434 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:24:50

He's convicted and enhanced. Are private prisons not very favourable for getting tag? He's been told he won't get it because the private companies get paid per prisoner

HappyGirl86 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:31:19

That's good that he's on enhanced. There is far more to consider when looking at getting his tag. Has he ever breached any community orders? Or previous licenses?

RochelleGoyle Thu 16-Feb-17 20:31:47

Also depends on type of offence.

HappyGirl86 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:32:38

Of course offence too yes

Holly3434 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:34:14

He did have a community order before he went in did half of it, then obviously got banged up. What would help him to get tag? Offence is burglary with intent to commit gbh. He didn't actually harm anyone tho

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:35:05

Getting his tag will depend on the type of sentence he has, and wether he has any areas of risk outstanding. Do you know if he's met all the targets on his sentence plan?

HappyGirl86 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:35:19

Did he only do half because he was sentenced for something he had done before? Or did he offend whilst he was on his community order?

LoveAGoodToddlerTantrum Thu 16-Feb-17 20:36:11

Whether a prison is public or private won't make any difference to how many people get tag. Its an individual risk assessment for each person that looks at likelihood of compliance with license conditions. Being enhanced is a good start but past custodial history/community sentences etc will be considered

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:37:39

when I say type of sentence I mean determinate, IPP etc.

Do you know his sentence and how long he's served so far?

Holly3434 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:37:47

He did something before pretty minor first offence then this happened , he's trying to do restorative justice course inside. What do you mean risks outstanding?

Holly3434 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:38:42

He's got 2.5 years sentenced too

RochelleGoyle Thu 16-Feb-17 20:40:11

Other factors which may also influence him getting tag: behaviour in custody, completion of set offending behaviour work (e.g. address alcohol issues, thinking skills - his sentence plan, different for each prisoner), assessed likelihood of compliance with licence, suitable release address.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:41:46

He will have been given an assessment which identifies any areas of risk he has relating to reoffending. Offender behaviour programmes etc help to address these risks and reduce the likelihood of recidivism, thus making him more favourable for a tag.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:42:23

x post rochelle!

LoveAGoodToddlerTantrum Thu 16-Feb-17 20:53:04

www.justice.gov.uk/offenders/before-after-release/home-detention-curfew

This gives you some info about the process

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now