Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to try to hurry up dissolvable stitches?

(15 Posts)
sarkyone Thu 16-Feb-17 19:19:13

Hello
My son has dissolvable stitches in his scalp a month ago after an injury at school. The wound has scabbed. The thread used is still in the same state it was when it was used and is poking out. He is beginning to complain about it catching when I comb his hair. Anybody know of a way to hurry up the dissolving process?

Thanks in advance!

HecateAntaia Thu 16-Feb-17 19:21:26

It would be better to go to the dr and have the practice nurse take them out if the injury is healed.

FadedRed Thu 16-Feb-17 19:21:38

You could make an appointment with your Practice nurse to have them removed.

BikeRunSki Thu 16-Feb-17 19:21:57

Tea tree oil

I have no idea if there is any proof in this, but when my CS scar was still swollen and stitches still there after 7 weeks, I tried tea tree oil for the swelling, and the stitches dissolved too.

MatildaTheCat Thu 16-Feb-17 19:26:51

If it's well healed you could easily remove them yourself. Clean tweezers and nail scissors, just hold the end of the thread, snip under the knot and pull very gently. Should slide out easily. This depends on the disposition of ds, of course.

If you feel concerned then practice nurse will have them out in no time.

sarkyone Thu 16-Feb-17 19:57:57

Thanks everyone. WIll phone the doctors and see if the nurse will have a look. Didn't know that was a possibility!

I had my stitches removed after my c-section and didn't like it so don't think I could remove his myself...

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:07:56

They are really satisfying to pick off! I did this on my own head btw I might not do it on a kid wink

Liara Thu 16-Feb-17 20:10:28

When ds2 had an operation with dissolvable stitches, after 2 weeks I showed them to a friend who was a nurse to ask her when she thought they would fall and she said 'the surgeons always put in dissolvable stitches and then we dutifully take them out after two weeks when they have failed to dissolve'. So I took them out myself, and it was just fine.

AnaG1ypta Thu 16-Feb-17 20:13:25

DS1 had his snipped by a nurse - they were too tight and irritating him after an op down below.

Seeing how they did it I've always done them myself since. Less stressful than a GP visit.

Boiing Thu 16-Feb-17 20:13:25

I had a dissolvable stitch that didn't dissolve. After waiting ages I asked GP and she yanked it out... With some kind of pliers... Not my most elegant moment.

OneMillionScovilles Thu 16-Feb-17 20:19:19

Another to say I've had to have them removed by practice nurse (many years ago) after they failed to dissolve confused

Blumkin Thu 16-Feb-17 20:23:20

My daughter had dissolvable ones in her chin which failed to dissolve. So went to the practice nurse who tried to remove them from a screaming unwilling 3 year old... After 5 minutes everyone exceot the nurse was in tears and she suggested doing it ourselves whilst dd was asleep. Worked perfectly.

KayTee87 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:26:10

Yeah just get them removed, a lot of them don't dissolve tbh. I pulled one out the back of my throat with tweezers 2 months after getting my tonsils out 😷 and was spitting them out for ages after having my wisdom teeth removed.

Fortyisthenewthirty Thu 16-Feb-17 22:21:23

Are they definitely dissolvable?

They don't dissolve outside of the body, usually the outside bit drops off when the inside bit has dissolved. After a month, the wound should be fully healed, so you're not going to do any harm to gently pull on the ends, they may well come away. They may be caught up in the scab though.

PopcornBits Thu 16-Feb-17 22:42:45

My dentist pulled my "dissolvable" stitches out as they'd just untangled and didn't actually dissolve.
Which makes me wonder about my internal dissolvable stitches I have from gallbladder removal recently 🤔

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now