Talk

Advanced search

To pull my own teeth out with pliers

(31 Posts)
YoureAllABunchOfBastards Thu 16-Feb-17 17:13:25

BecUse if it relieves the pain from a fucking abscess it will be worth it. Started antibiotics yesterday and feel like I have been hit by a truck. The constant pain is wearing me down but painkillers barely touch it. I am a miserable grumpy old cow and I hate it

PrettyLittleBrownEyedMe Thu 16-Feb-17 17:31:27

So sorry to hear you are in such pain. It's truly miserable, I know. I still wouldn't try and pull it out yourself though! Maybe it's just because I'm not brave enough but I don't know how anyone could muster up enough courage and determination to do that! What did the dentist say? could you go back? Probably in another 24 hours the antibiotics'll kick in and you'll feel a whole lot better, and not have a gap in your teeth you may regret. flowers

winefixeswhine Thu 16-Feb-17 18:35:22

Oh god it's so painful. Hope the antibiotics kick in soon for you. If it doesn't improve do go back as it ight need to be drained. flowers

ElderDruid Thu 16-Feb-17 18:37:40

Apparently extraction is even more painful as you're releasing the pressure & gunk.

Have you tried clove oil? It might seem a daft suggestion for it might help.

Mrsmorton Thu 16-Feb-17 18:39:25

Helpful there elder always nice to put people at ease with "true" stories isn't it...

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 16-Feb-17 18:46:00

Alternate painkillers, and set your alarm overnight to stay topped up or you start again in the morning with nothing much in your system.

Every 2hrs, alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol / codeine pills.

Doesn't fix anything, but does keep the worst pain at bay even when sleeping.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 16-Feb-17 18:48:35

No, I've tried it.

Turns out pulling out teeth is really, really difficult.

helpimitchy Thu 16-Feb-17 18:48:51

One of my root canals has failed and I now have infection. Started antibiotics yesterday and have to have it removed next week. The dentist said the tooth might shatter as it's brittle and then I'll have to go to another dentist to have surgery to remove the bit that's left in the jaw.

I'm taking lots of codeine and rubbing Orajel Extra Strength onto it. Not looking forward to the extraction. Might see the GP and try to get some Lorazepam.

Interestingly, if you go onto YouTube, there are dozens of videos of people pulling their own teeth out. It's not a good thing to do though for many different reasons. It's a shame that many people don't have access to dental care though.

Breezy1985 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:49:36

I feel for you, I ended up at the walk in centre and they happily gave me stronger painkillers also oragel really helps, especially the other one. It really is the worst pain ever flowers

sibys1 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:51:02

The one thing that gave me some relief when I had an abscess was Difflam mouthwash. It has anaesthetic in it so numbs your mouth. You can get it over-the-counter from pharmacists.

misskatamari Thu 16-Feb-17 18:53:44

After having an extraction today, which involved the dentist having to split the tooth in half and spend about 20 minutes wrenching with various implements to get it out, I say leave well alone! I'm sorry you're in pain though, it's the absolute worst and I hope the antibiotics kick in soon. When I had a bad one years ago my friend recommended rubbing salt on the gum, and it was the only thing which worked to help with the pain. It tasted gross but really helped. And try and alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen if possible x

Olympiathequeen Thu 16-Feb-17 19:17:24

It needs to be done properly because it's a very risky business.

My SIL had a tooth with abscess removed at the dentist but wasn't given antibiotics. The infection travelled to her brain and caused an abscess in the brain that nearly killed her.

Not worth the risk.
Cycle paracetamol, codeine and ibuprofen all to the max dose in 24 hours, but don't overdose.

Olympiathequeen Thu 16-Feb-17 19:18:51

Gargle whisky over the abscess. It numbs the area and you are too pissed to care.

GreyHare Thu 16-Feb-17 19:28:09

When I had an access the only thing that helped ease the pain was a warm compress or a warm cup of cup rolled over the area, slight warning though as the heat can cause and did in my case cause the access to burst filling mouth with pus, but the relief from the pain was instantaneous.

AgedRelative Thu 16-Feb-17 19:30:44

My DDad has a phobia of the dentists and did this many years ago. Let's just say I wouldn't advise as a small part was left in and he got an infection and nearly died. My now BIL is a top oral surgeon. When I told him that many years ago DDad had done this he spent a good hour lecturing me on why it is a bad idea. Please don't.

Heatherjayne1972 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:28:28

Let the dentist remove the tooth
You will regret a diy job
Do you have an emergency appointment to get seen ?

Jenniferb21 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:35:55

I feel for you I've been been there it's worse than childbirth.

You need to get an emergency appointment and get it removed if it doesn't clear with antibiotics and/or there's no saving the tooth. I had mine taken out and I nearly fainted from the pressure and pain. Under no circumstances would I consider pulling it myself you could do further damage to the area/gum/bone etc

I swirled alcohol round in my mouth every 30 mins it definitely helps. I used amaretto as I didn't have anything else like whisky but it worked v well. Obviously isn't ideal with the sugar but helps pain.

Gargle warm salt water every half hour that really helps too keep the area clean and removes pain for a short while.

To sleep I put a hot flannel against my face. My whole jaw and cheek was horrendous and swollen. It you feel hot try the flannel with cold water.

PastysPrincess Thu 16-Feb-17 20:48:38

I once had an absess under a tooth. I had antibiotics for it and then went back to the dentist. I had just started a new job and you weren't supposed to have any time off during the training period. I didn't want to have to come back so I didn't say anything when they started to pull the tooth and I could still feel it. It didn't hurt that much so I thought I will just deal with it. Then the pain hit me, it was horrific. I raised my hand to get the dentist to stop but he kept going. After what seemed like forever the tooth finally came out thank god. The dentist apologised for not stopping but he said I reached the point of no return and it would have worse to stop.

I walked past the waiting area on my way out and everyone turned their heads to look at me with horried looks on their faces.

I definitely would not recommend you trying to do it yourself.

QuestionableMouse Thu 16-Feb-17 20:51:45

Try a cold compress on your face. Only thing that helped me when I had an infected tooth.

bbcessex Thu 16-Feb-17 20:59:45

Somebody linked to another recent thread where a dentist said never ever ever put heat on dental pain. . It causes swelling and makes the pain worse (did for me).

You could try bag of peas in a tea towel?

You have my absolute immense sympathy xxxx

froomeonthebroom Thu 16-Feb-17 21:06:23

Gargle with corsodyl, put a clove on it and TAKE PAIN KILLERS! It will get better, I promise. flowers

haveacupoftea Thu 16-Feb-17 21:08:36

Nice strong whiskey with cloves in

Pippin8 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:15:25

Massive sympathies to you sad.
I could've written this last week. I had one above my front tooth. It was agony, DH said he's never heard me swear so much.

I doubled the dose of my antibiotics the first day, took regular ibuprofen & paracetamol & rinsed with warm salt water. The pain finally subsided after 3 days of antibiotics. I'm back for the full root canal in 2 weeks.

user1471537877 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:33:51

Hi op

I've been living with 2 abscesses for over a year now so feel your pain

I find calgel good on the gum when they're bad, if you're ok with aspirin try bongela

Cycle ibuprofen and codeine with paracetamol so that when one is wearing off you're at peak cover with the other

Antibiotics will kick in after 48 hours and it should settle after about 4 days, if it doesn't get back to the dentist

I've no advice on treatment, one of mine is a failed root canal, the other is due to a dentist opening a tooth with inadequate block both have to be removed under GA and I've been in the system a year waiting....

Believe it or not I used to do this for a living sad have private health care but am finding it next to impossible to get them removed, never thought I'd be so desperate for a GA

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Thu 16-Feb-17 21:35:52

It has eased a bit. No alcohol allowed - on Metronidazole so would be a very bad idea.

Can I face work tomorrow? Not sure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now