Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to refuse snacks before dinner because ds didn't eat lunch?

(37 Posts)
KissesOnKittens Thu 16-Feb-17 16:22:34

I'm truly on the fence so I don't know if I'll need my hard hat on....

Ds (10) is on packed lunches.
For breakfast he's had two weetabix.
Lunch was an apple, yogurt, 2xbaby muffins, a winder, a piece of cheese and a chicken salad wrap.

He's come home "starving" which isn't unusual. I ask if he's left any lunch and he said yes- the wrap, cheese, yogurt, and a muffin. He wanted to play football hmm

So I'm not surprised he's hungry. He asked for a snack and I said "no" as dinner will be ready in less than half an hour which is beef stew, mash, dumplings and green beans.

He won't eat a decent portion of dinner if he has a snack. (He asked for choc brioche or a mars bar)

Aibu to make him wait?

puppysurprise Thu 16-Feb-17 16:23:20

Yanbu

Half an hour is hardly enough time for him to starve in.

luckylucky24 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:25:32

It's half an hour. If it was longer than an hour then maybe feed him.

RhubarbGin Thu 16-Feb-17 16:27:18

I don't know if today's lunch box was typical, but it might be the case that there's far too much choice. Of course he's going to eat the sweet stuff first given half a chance. In future I'd just put in the main item (sandwich/wrap/whatever), the yoghurt and a piece of fruit. If he eats it all consistently for a week I mught consider putting in a sweeter treat such as a single mini cake or a single biscuit bar or similar.

And no, YANBU to make him wait for dinner.

user1483387154 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:27:21

YANBU He should have eaten his lunch and dinner is ready very soon.

ShowMePotatoSalad Thu 16-Feb-17 16:28:26

YANBU

IToldYouIWasFreaky Thu 16-Feb-17 16:29:51

why are you on the fence? I'd say it's a clear no to a snack if dinner is in half an hour, regardless of circumstances. A bit of hunger won't do him any harm and might teach him to eat his lunch in future!

bulletjournal Thu 16-Feb-17 16:30:24

You are doing the right thing to say no to snack 30 minutes before diner. If it was a couple of hours, I would give him a banana or something. I wouldn't give a snack 30 minutes before diner to a toddler either.

dementedpixie Thu 16-Feb-17 16:31:01

Sounds like too many items in the lunch box. Maybe just have the wrap, yoghurt and Apple and if he eats all that add in one additional item

Soubriquet Thu 16-Feb-17 16:31:35

Course you aren't bu!!

He didn't eat his dinner, he waits until tea time

Why on earth are you asking?

mrsBeverleygoldberg Thu 16-Feb-17 16:32:09

This is the same as my 9 and a half year old. I made him eat a fresh version of the stuff he didn't eat at lunch time. Then I got him a hot food flask and he's been eating better at school. You are right to not give him a snack. I told my ds2 that he has to eat the healthy stuff too and he mature enough to make the right choice.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 16-Feb-17 16:33:46

It's half an hour so YANBU.
That's a lot of food in his lunch though, I'd halve the amount and give him a snack as soon as you are home from school

dementedpixie Thu 16-Feb-17 16:33:55

And if he was getting a snack he could have an item out of his leftover lunch.

My ds (10) gets a bagel/brioche roll with a filling, a yoghurt, fruit (grapes/strawberry) and a small biscuit item.

harshbuttrue1980 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:34:49

I wouldn't refuse a snack to a hungry child. However, the snack allowed would be something like a banana or bread with peanut butter, not a mars bar. If you offer boring snacks, they will only ask for one when they are genuinely hungry.

KissesOnKittens Thu 16-Feb-17 16:35:07

Thanks!

I just feel a little mean as I would be ravenous if I had only eaten what he's eaten.

I agree it's a lot in his lunch box but some is for snacks at break times and he occasionally eats something on the way home too.

He's quite active so I give him plenty. Usually he comes home with it empty or the yogurt or cheese left.

On with the cooking!!

MrsJayy Thu 16-Feb-17 16:38:20

Being a bit hungry for half an hour isn't going to harm him he can eat his dinner. I also think he had to much in his lunch he wants something he can shove in and leave a wrap and maybe a muffin would probably do him cut down on his treat food

stoopido Thu 16-Feb-17 16:38:26

I would give him a little snack depending on how hungry he was, a banana for example. Purely because I hate the feeling of the shakes if I am feeling hungry and I know that if I was feeling like that I would eat. I just hate saying no to food even if dinner will be in 30 minutes. 30 minutes when you are feeling really faint and hungry is not pleasant.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Thu 16-Feb-17 16:38:38

Not at all...

But expect tantrums and bad temper. Not out of being a spoiled brat but caused by low blood sugar..
From that point on you have a difficult choice. Give in to stop the tantrum of let him rage.. (ear plugs will be useful) .. until he eats properly..

PS. I know a bit about low blood sugar as my DP is diabetic.

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 16-Feb-17 16:38:59

Surely of he was that hungry he would have eaten some of it coming home. For that reason I'd say he can manage til dinner.

Scribblegirl Thu 16-Feb-17 16:39:27

To be honest I'm just impressed he went for the apple instead of having the second muffin!

Don't worry, he won't starve smile

bulletjournal Thu 16-Feb-17 16:43:00

expect tantrums and bad temper not from a 10 yo! grin

It's good for kids to learn to feel hunger anyway (not in a war zone obviously) We give them far too many snacks, it's much healthier to wait for your meals. 30 minutes is hardly a wait anyway

Somehowsomewhere Thu 16-Feb-17 16:45:14

Tantrums and bad temper from a 10 year old?!

I would never give mine a snack half an hour before dinner. They're not going to starve in half an hour.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 16-Feb-17 16:47:05

Yanbu, it's half an hour, he'll be fine and possibly remember next time

IToldYouIWasFreaky Thu 16-Feb-17 16:47:55

I wouldn't refuse a snack to a hungry child
What, ever?! Why not?

youarenotkiddingme Thu 16-Feb-17 16:48:29

Surely you'd refuse a snack half an hour before dinner under any circumstances?

I don't worry about what Ds has eaten at lunch etc. I give him wheat I know he can eat and he eats what he wants. He can eat something in the way home from school but once home it's wait until dinner.
Sometimes my Ds eats everything and is starving after school! Sometimes he hardly eats anything but still isn't that hungry at dinner. Children are like adults - they do and don't fancy certain things and their appetite varies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now