Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if this is sinister?

(28 Posts)
hibbledobble Thu 16-Feb-17 16:17:32

I got home today to mail to Mr & Mrs X. Sometimes post gets delivered to the wrong address, but this had the correct address and postcode. Mr & Mrs X have never lived here (not received any post addressed to them previously ). The last name is similar to ours (first few letters the same).

I opened it and it was a diy pack for creating a legally a binding will, together with a receipt from the site it was purchased from. I thought initially it was useful, as I do need to make a will, but then wondered.

Aibu to wonder if this was addressed to us, and if so, by whom? I don't have any enemies I know about.

Crispbutty Thu 16-Feb-17 16:20:17

It wasn't addressed to you by name so can't think how it is sinister. I would say you are seriously over thinking it. It's just a random mail shot, not a death threat.

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Thu 16-Feb-17 16:20:19

I doubt it's anything to worry about. They probably ordered it from a website with one of those postcode finders and just selected the wrong house number from the drop down box, or entered the postcode incorrectly and didn't realise.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 16-Feb-17 16:20:46

How odd. Have you checked whether your DH purchased it? Or whether the receipt details match your card etc? Maybe contact the company who sent it as if someone paid for it they'll be wondering where it is. It seems unlikely to be anything sinister, to be honest. It would be a bit of an elaborate threat.

user1483387154 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:21:04

Not sinister at all as wasnt addressed to you

Bahh Thu 16-Feb-17 16:21:17

I think you probably shouldn't have opened mail that wasn't addressed to you. I'd have just put return to sender on it and shoved it back in the postbox.

Not sinister just odd and I wouldn't give it any more thought.

booklooker Thu 16-Feb-17 16:28:16

Is it even legal to open mail that is not addressed to you?

I would have put it back in a post box with RTS written on it.

booklooker Thu 16-Feb-17 16:29:08

cross post Bahh

scooobydooo Thu 16-Feb-17 16:37:07

Not illegal to open post delivered to your house as long as you don't use or abuse the contents in any way.

How else are you supposed to stop letters coming if you can't see who is sending them? Not all envelopes have return details on.

hibbledobble Thu 16-Feb-17 16:40:17

Usual criticism here.

I opened the mail, as like I said in the op, the name was very similar to mine, and the address was correct. I think most would have done the same.

hibbledobble Thu 16-Feb-17 16:41:27

None of the neighbours have this last name. If it had an incorrect address, a neighbours name I would have of course made sure it got to the right person.

hibbledobble Thu 16-Feb-17 16:42:48

what there aren't card details on the receipt.

NetballHoop Thu 16-Feb-17 16:48:17

Call the site it was ordered from.

EmeraldScorn Thu 16-Feb-17 16:54:37

Contact the company that it was ordered from and query the details.

I wouldn't worry about it though, it's either a genuine error or a random promotional thing. As for the criticism of opening mail that isn't for you.... People on high horses, ignore. I'd have done the same as you, I would have opened it!

Kahlua4me Thu 16-Feb-17 16:56:59

Best to call the site it was ordered from.

I have had post from Waitrose addressed to someone else but our address. It was for cardholders, vouchers etc so quite personal rather than mail shot. I have also had an email addressed to them but my email address asking to review recent purchases! I don't even have a Waitrose card and when I rang them they could not find me or the lady on their system! Very odd...

BalloonSlayer Thu 16-Feb-17 17:01:00

I have had a couple of things like that over the years.

One was a letter addressed to my Ex Husband!! At my address which he absolutely didn't know. Really freaked me out! It had a different postcode however. It was from mine and his old bank - I still had a credit card with them and ExH had taken over a joint account we had had. It was presumably a mail merge which had slipped a bit and it had added my address to his name. I was furious as, had my ex been remotely vindictive (he wasn't), I felt he might somehow have ended up finding out my address via this fuckup, and of course they had now told me his new postcode, which could have been a problem for him should I have been vindictive (I wasn't). I was raging and gave them a rocket.

Second one was ; once when I was ill and sad, some flowers arrived for me. I was pleased and touched and went to sign for them, then saw they were addressed to the lady who lived at the house before us (we had been there about 4 months). I told the delivery guy that they weren't for me after all and off he went. I went inside and cried. sad An hour or so later he was back - no, they weren't for her, they were for me, they were from my Dad. He had been into an interflora shop to order them to cheer me up, given them my postcode but they had obviously had the last people's details on the computer against that postcode and they hadn't changed the name.

Neither exactly the same as yours but you can see that these things do happen and it's not sinister.

stopdrawingonyourhands Thu 16-Feb-17 17:08:34

Actually my Mum was told by the bank to open letters to her address not in her name that arrived at her address after three months of passing letters to a neighbour who had lived in the same street. Turned out he got the first stuff knowing she would pass it on so that when he moved away a few months later he had enough id to get stuff using her address including opening a bank account, driving license and overdrafts.

peggyundercrackers Thu 16-Feb-17 17:11:21

stop being so paranoid. they aren't out to get you.

NancyDonahue Thu 16-Feb-17 17:14:58

My dh was recently a victim of ID theft. He had numerous mobile phone accounts and credit cards opened in his name. His surname was sometimes spelt a bit differently or his first name and surname were swapped or the letter of his first name was different. There was always something slightly dodgy. The address was correct. If he'd not opened the letters he'd have had no idea what was going on. I think anything sent to your address needs checking to make sure it's not dodgy.. unless you recognise a neighbours name etc

MrsJayy Thu 16-Feb-17 17:17:20

It is a mail shot a clever 1 they would have xx some numbers on the receipt as well as account details calm down you are being a dramaLlama grin

Bettercallsaul1 Thu 16-Feb-17 17:27:30

I would only worry if it is followed by a funeral-planning kit.

hibbledobble Thu 16-Feb-17 18:07:16

Lol bettercaulsaul I guess I'm being paranoid.

This is a good reminder that I do actually need to write a will!

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Thu 16-Feb-17 20:39:26

If somebody inadvertently mistyped even one letter of the postcode and just selected their street number from the menu then it could have ended up in a completely different city, so you wouldn't necessarily recognise the name as one of your neighbours. Just RTS or call the company to put your mind at rest. Really nothing to worry about.

Trainspotting1984 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:41:28

Call the company and say what? hmm

If just keep it op. Use it to make your will. Doesn't see sinister in the slightest

NavyandWhite Thu 16-Feb-17 21:08:28

Usual criticism here.

Yep. It's fucking tiresome. OP don't stress it. Just throw it away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now