Talk

Advanced search

Regarding date saying a had to 'earn' a present??

(42 Posts)
ShaniaTwang Thu 16-Feb-17 13:58:44

I was idly talking on a date about how I enjoy clothes, specifically dresses. No big deal, he asked me what I liked and I was talking about it.

To which he said 'are you dropping hints I should buy you a present? These things need to be earnt!'

Eh?! Is this usual date banter? I was taken aback!

NoCapes Thu 16-Feb-17 14:01:14

No, he's a knob! Do not go out with him again

Shoxfordian Thu 16-Feb-17 14:01:29

Earnt?! Tell him you'll buy your own dresses and block him

AmethystRaven Thu 16-Feb-17 14:04:17

Sounds like he was saying 'sleep with me and I'll buy you a dress'.

PageStillNotFound404 Thu 16-Feb-17 14:05:27

It's a mindset that's still not as uncommon as it should be but that doesn't make it normal or acceptable date banter. It's good that he gave you a little window into his view of women at the outset though, saves you wasting any more time on him.

ScarlettFreestone Thu 16-Feb-17 14:06:10

Well at least you'll know not to waste any more time on him.

HelenaGWells Thu 16-Feb-17 14:06:18

A present should never be earnt imo it should be given for an occasion and because you want to give it.

F1GI Thu 16-Feb-17 14:07:52

Gross. Ditch!

ErrolTheDragon Thu 16-Feb-17 14:08:20

* These things need to be earnt!'*

The things that need to be 'earnt' at the start of (and maintained throughout) are respect and trust.

Katy07 Thu 16-Feb-17 14:09:01

Maybe he was trying to make a humorous comment (and failing)? Not all of us are great conversationalists - sometimes people say things in an attempt to be funny and it comes out wrong.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 16-Feb-17 14:09:12

I missed out an 'of a relationship' somewhere in that but I expect you get the jist.

OrchidaceousRose Thu 16-Feb-17 14:09:32

What a dick.

wettunwindee Thu 16-Feb-17 14:13:09

patriarchy innit!

Seriously, if you were taken aback then it was inappropriate. I can understand this being okay if both understood that this is where the date was heading and there had been a lot of sexual flirting. I can also imagine that this was really crass and creepy and a little demeaning.

Yep. I'm getting splinters from the fence.

SmallBee Thu 16-Feb-17 14:13:44

At best he has made an awkward comment he didn't really mean. I've done it and then was immediately embarrassed once it came out my mouth.

At worst he's an absolute fuck monkey that is not worth your time.

How was he apart from that? If he was ok I'd be inclined to give him a pass this time but if he said anything else like it I'd move on.

GeekyWombat Thu 16-Feb-17 14:16:02

Who buys clothes as presents?!

expatinscotland Thu 16-Feb-17 14:16:18

Dump. All this 'give him second/third/x chances' is the reason why the relationship board if full of women attached to utter dickheads. Presents are given, to hopefully give a bit of happiness to the receiver, not 'earnt'.

HeeHighls Thu 16-Feb-17 14:18:01

People do talk about the strangest things on dates.
Did you ask him about his taste in shirts?

ScarlettFreestone Thu 16-Feb-17 14:21:39

I agree with Expat this wasn't just a slightly awkward comment. It reveals that he thinks of relationships in transactional terms.

It's also deeply patronising. I'd have walked immediately.

ShaniaTwang Thu 16-Feb-17 14:23:27

Thanks all! That is exactly what presents are for, I agree.

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 16-Feb-17 14:24:42

No wages are earned. Presents are given.

Entitled men who think relationships are basically transactional with dinner/tickets/flowers/gifts in exchange for sex are very unpleasant.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 16-Feb-17 14:29:13

Second twattish AIBU about idiot man on a date again...

No comments to make but I wouldn't be "dating" him again.

Emmageddon Thu 16-Feb-17 14:41:20

This isn't the popcorn and coke greedyguts guy from the other thread is it? God, there are some knobbers about. Get rid.

Willow2016 Thu 16-Feb-17 14:43:53

He asked you what you like then accused you of dropping hints for him to buy you stuff? Then seamlessly slid into making sure you know that he is up for present buying if you meet the right conditions.... fuck that.

What a jerk, you had a narrow escape there at least you know what he thinks about women now, run for the hills.

BenadrylCucumberpatch Thu 16-Feb-17 14:53:17

He thinks you need to earn a present?! angry
I'd be wondering how he thinks you could earn one, tbh.

The implication that he'd 'reward me' with a new dress if I earned brownie points would be enough for me.

What a Dick. Get rid OP.

ColdFeetinWinter Thu 16-Feb-17 14:54:59

Please tell me you put him straight?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now