Talk

Advanced search

Mouse!!!!

(93 Posts)
Peaches77 Thu 16-Feb-17 02:55:30

Just seen a mouse run from one side of kitchen to the other...by time h got in it was gone. After a while I convinced him to go get traps...no traps in Asda but he got some posoin...so
He has put the along sides and behind cupboard skirting boards. I had left the window open tonight so obv how it got in. I could cry have a genuine fear. What's the chances the posoin will work tonight and there's only been one sad

MDFalco Thu 16-Feb-17 08:11:22

Do mice come in through open windows? I thought they came in through little cracks, holes in skirting boards, etc. I know they don't come in through open doors because they can smell people on the door.

Anyway, I don't know if they need one or two doses of poison, but be prepared to find a little corpse.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Thu 16-Feb-17 08:15:38

Sorry OP, you never get just one sad

If you're somewhere with fields it might just have been a little field mouse and they move on more quickly.

If it's a grey city mouse you will need a bit of time to get rid. We had them in my house share - old terraced houses = mice regularly! Keep an eye out for little corpses as a PP said, they tend to go somewhere warm to die because the poison makes them feel cold (the rentokil man told me that). Make sure you have nothing they can eat - lots of Tupperware and no open packets, esp sweet stuff. We learned the hard way, as a house of squealing 22 year olds, that mice really really like chocolate.

It won't last forever, but urgh for you.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Thu 16-Feb-17 08:17:59

And yes, sorry, far more likely to have come in through a crack somewhere. If you haven't seen one do it, you won't believe the size of the cracks and holes they can utilise - If a pencil will fit, a mouse will fit.

I showed our landlady where ours were coming from in the lounge and she flatly refused to believe me. She put chicken wire over the fireplace instead...... wtf?!

Redglitter Thu 16-Feb-17 08:20:17

I'd agree the window is very unlikely and unfortunately you seldom just get one mouse

clappedoutbanger Thu 16-Feb-17 09:43:05

I thought I had just the one mouse in my bedroom, which I caught in a trap. A week or so later I could hear them scratching in the attic. My dad put up a few massive trays of poison up there and it all went so there were clearly loads of the buggers.

Months later and I'm still sleeping with my bedroom light on and the door wide open in case I need to make a quick escape!

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 16-Feb-17 09:47:46

It won't be just the one and you really have to fill in all the cracks, even the tiniest ones. Mice don't come through the window. On the plus side, they are cute and harmless and there's no need to be scared (harmless as in they won't attack you, of course they are dirty, leave droppings everywhere and carry disease)

c3pu Thu 16-Feb-17 10:30:30

Phone your council and speak to the vermin control people, they usually don't charge and can put down some industrial strength stuff.

SistersOfPercy Thu 16-Feb-17 11:06:47

We did have 'just one' a couple of years ago.

I'd jet washed the decking at the back and left the side porch door open. Obviously our mouse friend must live under the deck and had made a break for it into the porch. Fortunately porch is brick and entirely enclosed from the house.

At one point it looked like a scene from Tom and Jerry, I went to JTF and bulk bought traps. I set the bloody lot. Did I catch him? Did I buggery.
2 weeks I tried (couldn't use poison because of the dog). Eventually DH and I emptied the entire room, not a sign of him. By the door was the smallest little hole, probably no bigger than a 10p piece and we concluded he'd escaped back to his home under the deck.

Never had a problem since, but the paranoia is still there blush

EmeraldScorn Thu 16-Feb-17 11:15:00

I smiled a little when I read the line about the mouse coming in through your open window; It's possible but highly unlikely.

It might "just be one" if it's a lonesome field mouse but I think in most cases there's a family of them.

Personally I'd have to go stay with my mum because I'm a screaming mess about rodents (they terrify me) but you seem to be on top of the matter and handling it like an adult.

The poison will work but it may take time!

KissesOnKittens Thu 16-Feb-17 11:16:02

You need a cat

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 16-Feb-17 11:19:59

When I was little we had mice in the pantry so my mum put the cat in there to sort it out. We went in and the cat was sleeping on a shelf with mice roaming around it. grin

BarbaraofSeville Thu 16-Feb-17 11:24:00

You need a cat

Worst. Advice. Ever. Sorry. In my considerable experience, cats = lots of mice.

They bring them in dead, they eat everything except the yucky bits, they leave bits of mouse in your slippers, the big cats bring in live mice for the kittens to play with. They bring them in alive and torture them in the house. The bring them in alive and let them go so they can have the pleasure of hunting them and catching them again. Yup, if you want a mouse free live, get a cat today grin.

Peanut14 Thu 16-Feb-17 11:24:28

I live in the countryside so have plenty of experience with field mice. I have also had many Tom and Jerry moments. Having tried many methods to catch them I found peanut butter in a mouse trap the most effect.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Thu 16-Feb-17 11:24:40

I would have loved to get a cat when we had them (and for loads of other better reasons!), but I'm really allergic sad

apparently they breed to become immune to the poison within a few generations, so it's worthwhile getting someone in who knows what they are doing. we found a few corpses with the poison, but mostly they just walked through it and laughed at us.

my flatmate's bloke got sick of them in the end and put down proper old fashioned traps. he baited them with hersheys kisses (of death). I hated it, I thought it was really inhumane, but I also wanted the mice to go away. which they did, after the traps went down. couldn't do it myself though.

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Thu 16-Feb-17 11:25:05

We had just one so it can happen.

He / she visited us for a few nights whilst we were watching TV. We bought a humane trap from Amazon, put it behind the sofa and that very night awoke to scrabbling at 2am. My husband got up, drove to a park a mile away and released the little creature.

It may have been eaten by a fox five minutes later (it's a house mouse after all) but at least it was alive - there was no way we would have used poison or traps or those evil sticking pads.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Thu 16-Feb-17 11:26:16

this also reminds me of a friend who put down humane traps in his grandma's house for her.

he went round to empty them for her, but she'd already done it.

and drowned the mice in a bucket of water shock !!!

KissesOnKittens Thu 16-Feb-17 11:27:30

That made lol. Lovely gran grin

itsmellssobad Thu 16-Feb-17 11:28:05

'The poison makes them feel cold so they go somewhere warm to die' 😢

happypoobum Thu 16-Feb-17 11:28:43

Happycat loves bringing mice in to play with.

Agree with PP it probably didn't climb in through the window.

I hope you get rid of it soon, but lots of local authorities will come out and sort it out if you have an infestation a problem.

ElderDruid Thu 16-Feb-17 11:31:34

Please slap me!

The post says mouse, the last post about a mouse had me OCD checking for holes, all you lovely people who say 'there's never only one mouse!' Thanks just thanks wink

I'm definitely going to get one of them things from Argos that emits a noise or something.

I do like the idea of a mouse knocking at your door with their family saying, 'Excuse me, would you mind it teribbly if we came to stay!' Or ninja mouse jumping through the window.

You can all laugh at my expense I'll let you.

We had mice when I was young as cats plus farm equals lots of pleasant surprises.

I know people with gerbils and hamsters, I don't even like them.

I'm honestly really paranoid now - haha!

helpfulperson Thu 16-Feb-17 12:28:14

why wouldn't they come through a window if it's open. particularly if there is ivy or similar for it to climb up.

Clandestino Thu 16-Feb-17 12:34:56

The things that emit the noise can be fucking annoying to people who are sensitive to that - like me. I hate visiting my extremely nice neighbour because all I can hear is the eardrum ripping zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
And mice get used to them after a short while (unlike me).
Poison - first, you never know. A toddler trying everything can just decide it's great. Also, a mouse which died in a wall - you will have some hard and long time getting rid of the smell.

I prefer cats. Clean, lethal, their work is their play.

Peaches77 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:35:29

It was a tiny tiny brown mouse like a big spider so I'm assuming it's a field mouse...went out first thing have four traps set in the kitchen with peanut butter heading out for the day so the house is quiet 😨😨😨

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Thu 16-Feb-17 12:42:37

ok the mice - sure, I don't like them in the house, but a field mouse is really quite cute in a field.

but a SPIDER the SIZE OF A MOUSE??? jesus Christ this thread just turned into a horror show!

OP if it's a field mouse you might be lucky and it be a one off. fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now