Talk

Advanced search

To worry about this -Tmi warning.

(5 Posts)
shiredweller76 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:44:08

My 6 month old d's had a reddish/orangy stain in his nappy. I was worried and spoke to GP who said as long as he's well in himself and has no temperature, to not worry unless it happens again. He said baby's foreskins which are long can get inflamed sometimes. Next nappy change I checked it and found his foreskin was all stuck together with white stuff. I very gently cleaned it off and retracted the skin a bit to do so. There was wee trapped inside that came out with the white stuff. DS didn't cry or seem in any discomfort when I cleaned it then or now. I Googled to find out if what the white stuff was - my other son never had this. Apparently it's 'smegma' and should be left well alone as should the foreskin. I'm SO worried I could have hurt him by cleaning there and or he will get an infection now. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Cornettoninja Wed 15-Feb-17 21:51:33

Keep a close eye to check he's not sore, uncomfortable when peeing etc for a couple of days but honestly I wouldn't worry. As far as I am aware stuff like that will replace itself, the advice is more to stop people routinely cleaning it out and messing about with the foreskin.

Take him for a check up if he's uncomfortable but I would bet my dairy milk it won't affect him in anyway as a one off.

KindergartenKop Wed 15-Feb-17 21:56:47

You're not supposed to retract it but the stuff will regenerate.
My older son had a habit on stretching his willy in the bath to clean it, which probably cleans out any gunk. When he's older, teach him to clean it so he only does what he finds comfortable with it.

shiredweller76 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:01:33

Thanks so much Cornettaninja. That makes me feel better. I would never have even noticed the 'smegma' had the GP not told me to keep an eye out for infection. Being white I thought it could have been dry pus or something stuck that was causing irritation. I thought by three children I would know what I'm doing but clearly not lol x

shiredweller76 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:04:33

And it would never had occurred to me to retract the skin where it not for that. I've always just given my older sons a quick wipe but they never had this that I noticed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now