Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how there is anyone left in the village of Midsummer?

(49 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 15-Feb-17 20:20:45

The people are always being murdered! I can only assume that people keep moving there, despite the constant spate of murders confused maybe because of that, it must be cheap to buy a place there?

Tanith Wed 15-Feb-17 20:36:32

I know - DS is coming up to University age and I've advised him to steer well clear of Oxford for the same reason.
Hasn't he seen Morse?!! Dons and students dropping like flies!
You don't even have to be there full time. Just visiting the place is lethal.

Mind you, scenery in both programmes is beautiful smile

TheCatsMother99 Wed 15-Feb-17 20:38:08

My thoughts exactly! I've been saying this for years, property must be seriously cheap in the village as you wouldn't move there otherwise.

choli Wed 15-Feb-17 20:39:58

But so many rich people seem to live there!

Lunde Wed 15-Feb-17 20:40:23

I'm pretty sure that it is even worse on the island of Saint Marie (Death in Paradise) and they only seem to have 4 police officers, a land-rover and a motorbike with side-car to solve them all!

EdithWeston Wed 15-Feb-17 20:40:32

Midsomer is a county (not a village)

But even so, the death rate is really rather high.

Maudlinmaud Wed 15-Feb-17 20:41:43

Haven't watched for years, but did enjoy it. Does Anthony Horowitz still write it?

oneohfivethreeeight Wed 15-Feb-17 20:48:17

Same with joining the US Navy. The rate Gibbs and Ducky are killing off sailors/marines how long before the Yanks have no one left to sail their boats?

oneohfivethreeeight Wed 15-Feb-17 20:50:33

The books are SO much better than the TV series. Troy is a total creep!

redexpat Wed 15-Feb-17 20:54:40

I read that if it had been commissioned by the beeb then the murder rate wouldnt have been so high. There was a murder before every ad break to make sure that the viewers would come back.

Disclaimer: im not entirely sure that this is true grin

ForalltheSaints Wed 15-Feb-17 21:08:19

The police and the grief tourists are there I assume?

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 15-Feb-17 21:10:19

Never mind all that, the number of murders that Father Brown chances upon defies belief. Literally grin

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 15-Feb-17 21:12:54

If there weren't enough reasons to like her anyway I was overjoyed to find out Patti Smith is a fan of Midsomer Murders.

It could make for an interesting episode of Escape to the Country.
...here is the mystery house, the current owners have recently installed this lovely new patio shortly after the disappearance of their next door neighbours...

Graphista Wed 15-Feb-17 21:17:34

The only realistic tv shows on this categorisation are the New York/ other big American city ones! Makes you wonder why nyc is so popular grin

IndianaMoleWoman Wed 15-Feb-17 21:36:19

When will people twig that Jessica Fletcher is a murderer - there's a murder literally everywhere she goes, she never seems disturbed by them and she makes a fortune writing books about them.

AuntMabel Wed 15-Feb-17 21:41:07

Often wonder this. Well this and why a serial killer would hang about when Columbo/Marple/Poirot are on the case. Must know the game's up when they're invited to a group chat surrounded by everyone else with a motive roughly 95 minutes after they committed the first killing.

AnotherUsedName13 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:42:18

St Mary Mead always terrified me. More Englishmen died there than in the beaches of Dunkirk, I'm sure.

Indiana
Good point. Who has the most to gain from this crime? Oh, that would be you Mrs Fletcher...

lidoshuffle Wed 15-Feb-17 21:44:12

I always had my suspicions about (lazy) Joyce Barnaby. Whatever little pastime she took up, someone would be murdered there.

TheTombstonesMove Wed 15-Feb-17 21:45:46

Ahh, but if you are topped in Saint-Mairie, at least you get jaunty reggae music to ease your passing to the next world. Midsomer, not so much with the reggae.

If you ever get invited anywhere where one of the guests is a little old lady called Jane Marple, just leave, straight away, and don't eat the marmalade.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 15-Feb-17 21:50:44

Miss Marple was also a prolific serial killer. And a huge free loader too. I suspect she was committing murders then pretending to solve them to distract people from the fact that she was continuously inviting herself to stay for free at large country houses.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 15-Feb-17 21:51:48

Cross post, you've rumbled her game too.

UpsyDaisyluvsIgglePiggle Wed 15-Feb-17 22:00:54

Police are rubbish on Murder she wrote. Always having to ask Fletcher what she thinks. She obviously knows as she dun it!

Most of them, Marple, Fletcher and even those gardening witches are all nosey gits grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now