Talk

Advanced search

To think cheating is cheating (board game related)

(14 Posts)
Mrbluethecatt Wed 15-Feb-17 19:37:34

Yes I know adults playing board gamesblush

DSS (19) and I have been playing various board games with different friends every Monday night for the past 5 years. It's a great way to spend time together. The games have been different over the years and we are playing a role play game like dungeons and dragons but only a bit more obscure.

We have been playing a friend and her son since the new year and at the end of the three hours I usually take a photo of the board so it can get packed away for the next week. I FB message the photo round everyone. Sad I know.

Last few weeks friends son had a uni thing so her DH took his place ( this is fine). The DH took a photo of the board before I did and offered to message it. He didn't get round to doing this. Last week when the DH set up the board DSS thought it looked odd they had more tokens than he thought they had previously. DSS didn't mention anything.

That night the DH again offered to take a photo of the board before packing up. DSS (unbeknownst to me) also took a photo. Last night the DH set up the board and DSS saw that he had given his team more tokens than they should have. DSS mentioned this to friend. Her DH got a bit stroppy accusing DSS of accusing him of cheating. Well he was.

Anyway things disintegrated from there. The game was abandoned. We went home. I spoke friend today suggesting we restart the game using a photo taken before her DH started playing and he wouldn't be able to play.

Friend contends that it doesn't matter if he cheated as it's only a game. It doesn't matter. It wasn't proper cheating as no harm was done.hmm

Well that's true no-one died but cheating is cheating even if we are just playing a board game. Still aibu to think cheating is cheating even if we are sad arses adults playing a board game.

DonkeyOaty Wed 15-Feb-17 19:39:55

Yanbu and I'm huffing indignantly for you. Harrumph.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:40:16

Pointless playing a game if you can't /don't play properly imo. . .

AlmaMartyr Wed 15-Feb-17 19:41:57

Nothing sad about adults playing board games! It's a hobby growing in popularity and a very social one. We play loads, as a couple and with friends. Yes, cheating is still cheating! I would be a bit miffed if one of our friends, or DH, was cheating at a board game. There's not really any need to cheat!

Floralnomad Wed 15-Feb-17 19:42:31

Totally agree , no point in playing if someone is cheating .

OwlinaTree Wed 15-Feb-17 19:43:10

Well that's ruined that bit of fun for everyone. Fancy being so competitive you cheat on a board game.

I think it's time to start a new game or play with other people. What a shame though.

Sonders Wed 15-Feb-17 19:44:02

I wouldn't punish her for his cheating unless you know she was in cahoots, she might be as mortified as you - in which case she's probably had punishment enough.

I am fully with you on cheating is cheating (and sad board games)!

Batteriesallgone Wed 15-Feb-17 19:45:58

Cheating is cheating. He clearly knew it too otherwise he would have got his photo out and compared / analysed to make sure they got it right.

What a dick. Don't play with him again. Oh and you're not sad for playing board games! They are great fun.

StarlingMurderation Wed 15-Feb-17 19:46:37

I can't stand cheating at board games. What's the bloody point? I'm the only one on my family who feels like this though, so I'm not allowed to okay because I spoil everyone else's fun by taking it too seriously. Apparently.

Magzmarsh Wed 15-Feb-17 19:49:44

YANBU and stop apologising for your hobby and minimising the arsehole dh behaviour for spoiling a lovely activity.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 15-Feb-17 19:53:15

Yanbu

There's no point playing if you won't follow the rules!

Ftlofg Wed 15-Feb-17 19:57:28

This is why we dont play board games in our house. But YANBU. Annoying and if you make a big deal of it you'll just come across unhinged!

Chickiwick Wed 15-Feb-17 20:20:41

My husband and I are big into board games. No cheating if any kind. YA TOTALLY NBU.

They are being ridiculously childish,

Chickiwick Wed 15-Feb-17 20:22:23

Starting - you should play with us! We take it all very seriously including the debrief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now