Talk

Advanced search

To ask everyone with a cleaner to read this!

(515 Posts)
boopsy Wed 15-Feb-17 13:36:55

I see people complaining a lot about cleaners on here, well i have been a cleaner for years (well just got back into it recently) and after a shitty first half of the week would like to ask people to consider the following if they have a cleaner.

Please dont

Leave shit and vomit on the toilet, it is rank and disrespectful. I obviously know cleaning the toilet is part of my job but this is grim and you must either have no shame or think so little of me you don't care!
Leave your dna lying around, nappies, sanitary towels used tissues etc.
Leave shed loads of dishes with dried on food from the whole week.
Set little traps of money, fingerprints halfway up the window, crumb piles in strange places - I am not stupid and makes me think less of you.
Leave everywhere in a shit tip so it takes all my time to tidy first.
Have dirty underwear on the floor, i do not wish to touch it!

Please do

Go out if you can!! (please please please)I find it very hard with people under my feet who always seem to want to be in the room im in, especially with wet floors etc. If i only come a few hours a week why do you need to be there? If its your day off can you not arrange something? Its awkward for me to keep asking permission to be in a room as you are using it/about to use it/dc is napping in it. I work much more quickly and productively in an empty house.
Keep your children from under my feet, as lovely as they are when they follow me about i cant get things done and it is also stressful keeping cleaning products away from them and they always appear when i have mopped a floor.
Provide the right cleaning equipment and nice clean cloths, not smelly ones!
Let me know if you/kids are ill. Little Jimmy may have a vomiting bug and its considerate of you to keep him home so his friends don't catch it, well guess what i don't want it either! Or take it home to my kids(especially likely to catch this one as 'im cleaning toilets etc) Likewise you or your partner coughing and spluttering everywhere leaving me to pick up off the floor the throw you have wrapped yourself in snotting all over the place. Please give me an alternate day or the choice of whether to come in (i won't as if i get sick and take time off i don't get paid)
Communicate! if you are not happy about something let me know.
This one is optional but the go ahead to make a cuppa would be nice!

I have to say most of my clients are lovely and i provide a great service but some of them are getting on my last nerve. Good cleaners are hard to come by where i live - demand outweighs supply, i even have a waiting list so will happily drop people who constantly do the above- so think on!

DrowningSeas Wed 15-Feb-17 13:44:25

Dna is everywhere.. If you don't want catch anything then you're in the wrong job.

CallingGloria Wed 15-Feb-17 13:45:39

Drop them, they are disgusting.

When we had D&V I cancelled my cleaner (still paid her though!) I didn't want her in the house when we felt so unwell, and yes if she caught it she would have to take time off work and not earn money. In fact my bathroom was spotless as every time someone 'used' it I bleached the hell out of it.

And who leaves underwear and nappies on the floor? Yuck.

boopsy Wed 15-Feb-17 13:48:28

Drowning seas i know that, but expecting other people to pick up used sanitary towels and underwear? There is just no need!! CallingGloria you sound like a lovely client!

SmileEachDay Wed 15-Feb-17 13:52:36

What a horrible response drowning

SwearyGodmother Wed 15-Feb-17 13:53:02

People leave used sanitary towels on the floor? How revolting. I feel scribbly if I've forgotten to empty the bathroom bin before the cleaner comes if I've been on my period and everything in there is bagged.

Get rid of the clients. Nobody should subject you to that sort of nastiness.

BillSykesDog Wed 15-Feb-17 13:53:48

Well I agree about dirty underwear and sanitary towels. But I was on the verge of getting a cleaner and I don't think I'll bother now. Don't want somebody round my house judging me twice a week.

The other stuff like going out - if you really can't work in a way which doesn't inconvenience your clients get a new job.

CocoLoco87 Wed 15-Feb-17 13:54:35

Don't suppose you're in the south east? I need a new cleaner! No traps of oddly placed crumbs need to be laid here, the obvious ones don't get hoovered!

She won't throw out old cloths, so I have to. And she never mops the bathroom floor. Out of interest, do you use separate mops for the rest of the house to the bathroom? I've wondered if using the same mop is what's putting her off...

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 15-Feb-17 13:56:04

I stay in, I have a cleaner because of illness/disability so have to, other that that I'm v nice though and don't leave a disgusting mess.
I have a mini bottle of Prosecco for her this week, just because.

Rugbyplayersarehot Wed 15-Feb-17 13:56:58

Ewww used sanitary ware and tissues on the floor and underwater that's grim. Just dirty

frauleinsallybowles Wed 15-Feb-17 13:58:02

out of curiosity what is the worst house you have cleaned ??

RaskolnikovsGarret Wed 15-Feb-17 13:58:34

Gosh poor you. We have a cleaner, and do all your dos, and don't do your don'ts, and I'd like to think most people are like that. Can't believe anyone is that selfish or gross - can you afford to drop those clients at all?

I thought everyone cleaned and tidied before their cleaner came anyway. I know we do. And we always try to be out when the cleaner is there - for one thing it makes me feel very lazy to see someone have to clean my house, and I also don't want to get in their way or think we are keeping an eye.

Good luck flowers

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Wed 15-Feb-17 14:00:07

Gosh OP that's nasty!

Our cleaner comes for 2.5 hours a week. The night before we hide all the dishes in the dishwasher make sure there are no dishes for her to do. We give DD toys a basic tidy-up so she can access the floor. I make sure most rooms are tidy-ish and the bathroom is not a state (i.e. no icky marks in the loo etc).

As for leaving nappies around, who DOES that? Eurgh.

Our cleaner seems pretty happy as she has been with us nearly 6 years. We write each other little notes every week letting each other know what's going on with us. I really like her and will be sorry when she retires (60-sth).

hellsbellsmelons Wed 15-Feb-17 14:00:17

Wow - I run around the night before making sure floors are clear and counter tops are clear and dishwasher is loaded with no cups or dishes on the side.
Ensure ExOH has sorted out his floordrobe and shoes.
I also get up earlier the day she comes to get washing in wash baskets and ensure everything is looking tidy.
I'd hate for anyone - especially my OCD cleaner, to think I live like a pig!
But... my cleaner provides all her own cleaning products, hoover etc....
She likes some kind of organic stuff so she provides it.

frauleinsallybowles Wed 15-Feb-17 14:01:53

do people really leave san pro lying about??? thats is disgusting

I have cleaners who come in once a month - I don't do any of the things in the 'don't do' list, but I do stay at home, because we have dogs, and I am not capable of walking them for the 2 hours the cleaners are here (and one of them is getting a bit elderly and would end up limping if walked for that long) - but I do shut myself away in one room, with the dogs, so we aren't under their feet.

I am happy for them to make a brew and have a break, and do my best to be a good client.

I do worry, though, that they judge me for the state of cleanliness of my home. I do clean and tidy in between their cleaning sessions, and have been known to sweep the floor the day before they come, in case it looks too bad.

I am worried now that my cleaners are judging me. sad

OhJustPassTheCake Wed 15-Feb-17 14:03:16

Ahhh sounds like you have had some awful experiences with clients! I have fortnightly cleaners and I treat them like the absolute QUEENS that they are! They are awesome! I tidy up the night before (they come to clean, not tidy! And if they can't get to surfaces/floors how the hell can they clean them!) I always get the hell outta the way, I leave them treats at Christmas and sometimes random other times and I make sure they know they can have a brew if they want one! I wouldn't want it any other way. I hope you find some nicer clients, you deserve them! xxx

Trifleorbust Wed 15-Feb-17 14:03:50

You're not very particular, are you? hmm

Some of this is reasonable but some of it is to be expected.

unicornsIlovethem Wed 15-Feb-17 14:05:57

We have the "little traps" of money and fingerprints etc except that they're actually not traps. They're where the DCs were watching the foxes out of the window and touched the glass, or where DH emptied his pockets of coins and I didn't spot it in time and he forgot.

Luckily my lovely cleaner just piles coins up and carries on.

Starduke Wed 15-Feb-17 14:06:28

I agree that's disgusting.

Our house has never been so tidy since having a cleaner, because I make sure everything is in it's place before he comes - otherwise how can he clean? We are paying for him to clean not to tidy.

Even the DC (2 and 5) know that the night before the cleaner comes they tidy away toys and the next morning can only take out one at a time so as not to leave a mess.

bulletjournal Wed 15-Feb-17 14:06:30

Sorry, but not surprised, you have to deal with this. It's depressing when people have grand ideas about "equality" etc and treat their cleaners like dirt. Some people are pigs. If they leave their house in such a state, you can picture their hotel room.

There was a thread a little while ago, where some posters were horrified about a cleaner being asked to tidy up, or put groceries away, or even do ironing (and cleaner agreeing obviously). They had absolutely no issue demanding that their cleaner clean the toilets or empty their bathroom bins with no bags. confused

Hope you find better clients. Cleaners are like gold dust here, (South East) so you wouldn't have trouble finding someone else.

fingerprints halfway up the window don't take that personally if there is a toddler in the house grin

NoItsAVegetable Wed 15-Feb-17 14:06:48

Really sorry you have such unpleasant clients OP and I think Bill and Drowning should probably just do their own cleaning if that's their attitude. I am self-employed myself and understand entirely about not being paid when unable to work.

My cleaner is here at the moment actually. I went out to do some errands earlier so she could clean my study and the adjoining bathroom, kitchen and living room without us getting in each other's way. Then when I came in we had a chat over a cuppa and some cake and biscuits. Now she's gone off to do the bedrooms and other bathroom while I've come into my study to work. Simples.

She has been coming to us for years and is like gold dust, I wouldn't swap her for the world!

EatSpamAmandaLamb Wed 15-Feb-17 14:08:08

If I can't leave sanitary towels laying around in my own house then where the hell can I????

Joke wink I can't believe some people would subject you to that. Even when I was in hospital put all my tissues in the bin and kept my bay tidy for the cleaner. Your clients (assuming able to tidy etc) clearly have no respect for themselves, their surroundings or you.

JaxingJump Wed 15-Feb-17 14:10:55

Our house is pretty tidy. But I can't guarantee we haven't broken one or two of the OPs rules. 3 very small children to juggle means the odd tissue on the floor (often clean as they love to whip clean tissues out of the box, sometimes not). Occasionally a nappy left in the bathroom after bath time when my arms were too full of kids and clothes going downstairs and the madness distracted me from remembering there was a nappy on the floor upstairs still. Sometimes we have colds but you'd have to avoid us for the whole winter to be here when everyone was 100%.

boopsy Wed 15-Feb-17 14:13:22

Billsykes please do not be put off, i don't walk around somebodys house judging them at all, but honestly would you not judge if you saw some of the things i had described? I have been in some right lets just say 'lived in' homes and i love the clients there and don't judge at all, they clearly need a cleaner bless them lol. As for people working from home fair dos and some of my clients have done this and 2 recent ones, they are great though and keep out of my way lol, likewise for elderly and housebound clients - in fact one used to get cream cakes for me coming and we would sit and have a chat!! Saying if i can't work around people in the house get a new job is unfair - i challenge anybody to work where you are made to feel in the way and can't do your job due to people walking on your wet floors where you are scared they will slip etc. and young kids touching your cleaning products which is a health and safety issue. Fraulinesally, the worst house had mouse poos behind the settee and maggots around the bin! Raskolnikovs you sound lovely and considerate- tidying is great and very helpful but don't clean thats what your cleaner is there for! (plus i dont expect tidy perfection i regularly do tidying away toys, paperwork etc i was more taking about bomb sights where the floor is hidden and all surfaces are cluttered) I never ever think anyone is lazy for having a cleaner so please don't worry about that and i think most of my clients are fab! However i can afford to drop a few so they had better sort themselves out haha x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now