Talk

Advanced search

To do school pick up with a potentially poxy child?

(10 Posts)
puglife15 Wed 15-Feb-17 08:50:19

Dc2 is 1 and is a bit grumpy today. He has a little red spot on his chin and I just checked him over, there's one on his bum too. Could just be random as he does get eczema, blemishes and spots quite often but together with the grumpiness (he seemed fine yesterday) I suppose there's a chance it is chicken pox. I can't think of anyone we could have caught it off and don't go to baby groups etc v often but I know it can be extremely contagious.

I need to pick DC1 up from nursery at lunchtime. AIBU to take DC2? TBH I don't have much of a choice but perhaps I'll get some recommendations on how to reduce risk.

Idefix Wed 15-Feb-17 08:54:38

Why not phone ahead and explain, the nursery can get dc1 ready/meet you outside so that your dc2 has less contact with others. Also unless dc2 has had cp this is possibly the source of infection.

CigarsofthePharoahs Wed 15-Feb-17 08:57:29

Ask the nursery if there's somewhere you can wait that's away from other people.
Keep the potentially contagious child in their buggy with the rain cover on.

BarbarianMum Wed 15-Feb-17 08:59:55

In the buggy with rain cover on is pretty standard round here. Stand a bit away from people and explain why. Some will avoid you, some won't.

Coloursthatweremyjoy Wed 15-Feb-17 09:02:18

You could let nursery know. Perhaps they will bring him out to you or suggest another entrance etc.

Obviously you keep him in the buggy and avoid long chats etc.

I work in childcare...this happens a lot, lots of people have no alternative but to bring an ill sibling to pick up. We all do our best just talk to them.

Notso Wed 15-Feb-17 09:12:16

I had to take DC4 with me for pick up/drop off when he had Chicken Pox. He is nearly 5 so no buggy or raincover, I left as late as I could and stood at the back of the playground, made sure he stayed with me, we left straight away instead of the usual running round the kids do.

Robinkitty Wed 15-Feb-17 09:15:35

I've had to do this with older children, just keep your distance arrive as late as possible, warn people to keep away.
If dc1 hasn't already had it then he/she will probably be contagious anyway.

Screwinthetuna Wed 15-Feb-17 09:17:48

I had to, I just stood apart from the other kids and told the other parents so they were aware

MiaowTheCat Wed 15-Feb-17 09:21:31

Contact the nursery - they might let you do pickup slightly early from the door rather than waiting around. I did this when mine decided to have chicken pox in shifts - I got there early, parked at the door and they brought the unpoxy child out to me so I could stand by the car door with poxy child in the back seat still.

They tend to be quite appreciative that you're NOT spreading the poxy love around and very helpful!

puglife15 Wed 15-Feb-17 10:15:33

Thanks all - DC1 has had it already so think he's immune. Don't want to alarm the nursery by telling them DC2 has pox when he doesn't but I'll just explain I'm being ultra cautious. I can take him in car seat but put the raincover over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now