Talk

Advanced search

To worry about my 12 year old son

(10 Posts)
runningandjumping Tue 14-Feb-17 21:15:50

My eldest son has just turned 12/ he used to be quite chatty but now he doesn't talk very much. Now that it's half term he doesn't want to go to the park and play with his siblings/friends/ When I talk to him, I often have to repeat what I said to get an answer. All he does is to read on the sofa or play a bit on the computer (he has a limited screen time).He doesn't take any initiatives to organise something with his friends. I don't think he has any problems at school. He is in year 7 and went from a local relaxed primary school to quite a strict and academic school, but he copes well. Is it a typical thing for this age or should I be worried?

PoptartPoptart Tue 14-Feb-17 21:54:30

I've noticed a huge change in my 11yo DS since he started in year 7 last September.
He's always liked playing on his electronics but would still jump at the chance of a family game or a trip to the park etc.
Now I have to practically drag him off the screens (we've had to put together a timetable for screen time to stop meltdowns) and he is less likely to want to join in family activities.
I'm putting it down to a mixture of growing up / hormones and hoping it's a phase that will pass.

justlikekatycarr Tue 14-Feb-17 21:55:42

It is hard for them when they start at secondary.

Izzabellasasperella Tue 14-Feb-17 21:58:12

My ds is 14 now and has gone from being very chatty to really quiet over the past couple of years. He also doesn't want to out and do things with his friends. I do sometimes worry but he seems happy enough so I am hoping it's a phase and that as he gets older he will come out of his shell a bit.

ASilhouetteAndNothingMore Tue 14-Feb-17 21:58:17

My DS also started year 7 in September. He always seems shattered. It's a massive change for them and throw in the hormones as well.
He's also developed a really bad "attitude" towards his younger brother. I honestly don't think he realises the way his tone of voice comes across until he's picked up on it.

ssd Tue 14-Feb-17 22:00:37

as much as its sad/annoying, I think its perfectly normal

TeamWolf Tue 14-Feb-17 22:02:22

We has exactly the same!
I kept close tabs on phones etc and all was ok

It's such a massive transition for them and they get mentally and physically exhausted. It's such a shock going from primary to secondary, factor in all those body changes and hormones(poor things!)

I tried to stay as relaxed as I could, did quite a bit to make life easy for him and lo and behold he's now in year 8 and we've got the lovely, funny and relaxed ds we had a year ago. He's also more open to trying new challenges Nd his interests are more diverse

Good luck OP

SecondsLeft Tue 14-Feb-17 22:05:37

Have you read 'Blame my Brain'? I found it really useful.

MillionToOneChances Tue 14-Feb-17 22:07:05

My DS is the same. Very, very happy in himself.

hugz Tue 14-Feb-17 22:46:17

My twin boys are in year 11, still don't talk very much or go out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now