Talk

Advanced search

Valentine's Day please knock some sense into me!!!

(99 Posts)
winterscoming911 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:07:29

I'm quite aware that AIBU but I really need people to help me put this in perspective.

We have one DD who is 4. Bit of background so people get the whole picture... My DH was brought up in a household where him and his siblings watched his dad be verbally and sometimes physically abusive to his mum and also to him and his siblings on a regular basis. One of the main things that he has taken from this is making sure our daughter knows how a man should treat her especially as we've seen the effect it has had on his sisters. He also strives to always make DD feel important.

Today it's obviously Valentine's Day. DH ordered me a beautiful bunch of flowers and he ordered DD a medium sized teddy bear that came with a very small box of chocs. Lovely. Except that they mixed up the order and sent DD the same bunch of flowers as me but also with a small bear with the chocs. I guess I just feel abit unimportant that my DD basically got a better present than I did although I know that wasn't the original plan.
Growing up I knew my dad adored me but I also knew that my mum and me had different relationships with him, they were the team and I guess this is just heightening my own stupid insecurities. I'm being pathetic aren't it?!?!

TheReferoo Tue 14-Feb-17 20:09:03

Really? Is this a joke?

Bluebellevergreen Tue 14-Feb-17 20:09:35

hmm But they mixed up the order. I am confused

Are you jealous that DD got more stuff by accident? blush

ninenicknames Tue 14-Feb-17 20:09:51

biscuit

Rixera Tue 14-Feb-17 20:10:06

I think it's damn creepy that your DH wants to show your little daughter how a man should treat her in a romantic relationship, but this does hit a number of my own triggers.
Surely Valentine's should be for adults and she will learn by seeing him treat you with love and respect?
God this weirds me out.

ninenicknames Tue 14-Feb-17 20:10:24

She's 4. She is your daughter hmm

n0ne Tue 14-Feb-17 20:10:38

Yes, sorry, but you are. It was the flower company's mistake, not your DH trying to make you feel unloved.

Shadow1986 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:10:39

Seriously?

ThymeLord Tue 14-Feb-17 20:11:10

Aye. Pull the other one OP.

cherryblossomcarpet Tue 14-Feb-17 20:11:16

In the nicest possible way you are being more than a little bonkers.

ittooshallpass Tue 14-Feb-17 20:11:18

Yes... you are... does it matter who got what? You are loved. She's 4. The florist messed up. Meh.

FoundNeverland Tue 14-Feb-17 20:11:50

Pathetic and very ungrateful. I can't believe what I have just read. You should be ashamed. Your poor DH.

Tabymoomoo Tue 14-Feb-17 20:12:02

But they made a mistake! You're not seriously jealous of your dd??! confused

Idrinkandiknowstuff Tue 14-Feb-17 20:12:06

Jeez, this has to be a joke

JellyWitch Tue 14-Feb-17 20:12:15

The bonkers thing is giving your child a valentines gift.

anonbecauseiwanna Tue 14-Feb-17 20:12:49

Get a fucking grip. Hth

tinglyfing Tue 14-Feb-17 20:12:56

Go read some other threads on here from the women that haven't even been acknowledged!

Then get over yourself......

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Tue 14-Feb-17 20:12:56

Even if it was his mistake and not the florists...do you honestly give a shit? And you're jealous of a 4 year old? confused

Mulberry72 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:13:35

biscuit

ilovesooty Tue 14-Feb-17 20:15:29

Plain weird. And sending valentine presents to show your daughter how a man should treat her? Even more weird.

EmeraldScorn Tue 14-Feb-17 20:16:00

I disagree that Valentine's is for "adults" and "lovers", it is intended as a day specific to the expression of love, giving kids a little teddy or a bag of chocolate hearts is not creepy or weird.

As for the OP; You're taking the piss surely? She's your 4 year old daughter, how could you possibly be annoyed about a mistake that wasn't her/your husband's fault?

She got extra flowers, not a Cartier watch - Wise up!

Andcake Tue 14-Feb-17 20:16:33

We have a 4 year old...we explained Valentine's Day was for adults. He carried the gifts and cards to the other one and was allowed one chocolate. He then had to go t sleep early so mummy and daddy could have a special teatime.

I do get creeped out by parents valentines to kids

Euripidesralph Tue 14-Feb-17 20:16:55

Get a grip op yep you are beige pathetic

ButtMuncher Tue 14-Feb-17 20:17:14

1/10

kimann Tue 14-Feb-17 20:17:38

This is the most bizarre thing I've read all day. All year. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now