Talk

Advanced search

To tell our European friends to all vote for us in the Eurovision Song Contest?

(42 Posts)
RitaFrankLynne Tue 14-Feb-17 19:02:47

I hope everyone in Europe votes for the UK to win. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the UK had to host it in 2018 when Brexit was fully underway and we had to be nice to all the Europeans travelling over to watch it?

This isn't Remoaning. This is irony.

JumpingJellybeanz Tue 14-Feb-17 19:08:31

Nah, I'd rather see all the inevitable bitching and moaning when Britain gets nul points. Yes everyone else votes for their friends, that's why BillyNoMatesBritain always comes last.

WorraLiberty Tue 14-Feb-17 19:09:10

You call it irony, I call it daft.

Why wouldn't we be nice to Europeans anyway? confused

WorraLiberty Tue 14-Feb-17 19:10:22

I haven't watched it for a couple of years

Is it open to public votes now?

BillSykesDog Tue 14-Feb-17 19:10:30

The song is bobbins.

SwedishEdith Tue 14-Feb-17 19:17:13

We will not even get votes from Ireland or Malta this year. I feel sorry for Graham Norton having to host it.

Janet80 Tue 14-Feb-17 19:22:58

I love Europeans, I love Europe,I still voted leave though. Brexit doesn't mean I start being horrible for them. We will get null points this year and I don't actually care, when was the last time we were anywhere close to winning?

x2boys Tue 14-Feb-17 19:25:06

i acnt believe any one still watches it its always been a bit daft with neighbouring countries voting for each other.plus its crap.

x2boys Tue 14-Feb-17 19:25:45

cant*

Skooba Tue 14-Feb-17 19:32:54

Why did the other countries take against us?
I can't remember what set it off, once upon a time we used to win!
Was it the banking crash in 2008?

RitaFrankLynne Tue 14-Feb-17 20:14:51

Katrina and the Waves last win it in the early 90s I think.

Oh, how I wish we could reprise "My Lovely Horse".

SilverdaleGlen Tue 14-Feb-17 20:17:05

Weren't we doing that before we joined the European trading block anyway? Shouldn't make any difference.

Oh and I like Europeans too and am a bit of a fence sitter in the whole BREXIT thing. Less governance = good news less trade = bad

NarkyMcDinkyChops Tue 14-Feb-17 20:54:22

Won't you lose your automatic entry as part of the hard Brexit? You'll have ti fight to get a place in the final and bomb out in the semis

wowfudge Tue 14-Feb-17 20:56:46

Eurovision has naff all to do with the EU. It would be ironic if the EU members voted for the UK though.

Huldra Tue 14-Feb-17 21:06:20

No, we get automatic right to the finals along with a few other countries because of the money we contribute to the European Broadcasting Union.

ForalltheSaints Tue 14-Feb-17 21:11:43

We should opt out of the whole thing.

Scholes34 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:25:49

If the Europeans have it in for us, they should make sure we win, so we have to foot the bill for hosting it next year.

RitaFrankLynne Tue 14-Feb-17 23:12:02

That's what I've been thinking @scholes34

SuperBeagle Tue 14-Feb-17 23:14:07

It'd be funnier if Australia won and then the UK had to host it, which is what would happen.

skinoncustard Tue 14-Feb-17 23:17:56

We could have Adele representing us and we still wouldn't get any votes. Don't know why we bother . It's nothing to do with singing and everything to do with politics.

Amethyst81 Tue 14-Feb-17 23:55:03

I'm not sure we have any friends in Europe at the moment to vote for us. Plus surely we should still be able to enter if Australia and Israel are allowed to enter.

needmymouthsewnup Wed 15-Feb-17 02:16:21

Being in the EU has nothing to do with Eurovision. The 'eurovision' countries were typically the opposite of the 'intervision' countries (ie the the former eastern block). Israel and Morocco can enter. We are always in the final because we are one of the few countries who finance a large part of the show (along with France, Germany, Spain and Italy). There is definitely an element of political voting, but seriously have you heard our entries recently, since the last win in the 1990s? Englebert Humperdinck? Gemini? The weird school kids song?!! Really?! The people who whinge about it being purely political need to listen to the songs we put forward. Now if you want to look at anti-a-particular-country voting, look at the voting against Russia for the past few years...

SuperBeagle Wed 15-Feb-17 02:20:49

Last year's entry won purely because of the anti-Russian sentiment.

RortyCrankle Wed 15-Feb-17 06:04:22

Ugh how cringeworthy - better to not bother entering at all.

Skooba Wed 15-Feb-17 08:08:18

I've remembered now. It was after it evidence came to light that Tony Blair had lied over weapons of mass destruction. Or to do with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now