Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your holiday hacks?

(16 Posts)
StarkintheSouth Tue 14-Feb-17 10:36:35

We're off on our hols with 4 month old DD soon, flying to the Canary Islands. Really looking forward to 7 days away but want to go ensure we're prepared. DD is combination breast and bottle fed.
Any hints or tips or advice you've found particularly useful that you'd like to share?
Would be very appreciated smile

neverknowinglyunreasonable Sat 18-Feb-17 13:52:47

On the plane in the top of your hand luggage have a spare outfit for each family member in a plastic bag. I had a bad experience with a sick child at 30,000 feet and was underprepared.

Have fun and enjoy the sun.

don't pack a suitcase each, mix up the clothes so there are clothes for everyone in each bag just in case one goes missing.
plan clothes to save space, so decide on an evening outfit that can be worn the next day or another day rather than taking several outfits for days / evenings as well.

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 18-Feb-17 14:03:18

Take nappies in a hold-all type bag. You can then fold it down and bring one less bag home

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 18-Feb-17 14:04:42

Tip i saw on here recently... take an extension cord so you don't need 27 adaptors

LiveLifeWithPassion Sat 18-Feb-17 14:04:50

I bought a travel wallet for all the documents and packing cubes so we all had our separate packs but in the same suitcase. I felt very organised.
It's easier to only take one suitcase when you have a baby.

pressinandguessin Sat 18-Feb-17 14:05:25

Mix up the clothes across the suitcases....we had an unfortunate incident with a lost suitcase and a child that then threw up on themselves on the way to the hotel.

Some very kind hotel guests lent us an outfit for him (which he had to wear for 48 hours til the suitcase turned up)

Swifey Sat 18-Feb-17 14:11:36

Take some small cartons of formula (the already made stuff) then you don't have to worry about water or sterilising

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 18-Feb-17 14:19:40

Definitely take the extension plug, that's my favourite ever MN tip!

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 18-Feb-17 14:38:03

With a baby - check they are not allergic to your suncream before you get there!

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 18-Feb-17 20:31:44

Take pegs to peg your towel to the sun lounger.

urbanrock Sat 18-Feb-17 21:52:00

Take pictures of all important documents on your phone.

For older kids, invest in a trunki car seat, it doubles as a back pack and use it as carry on luggage. Very useful if you're hiring a car. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003HKQJFK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487454444&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=trunki+car+seat&dpPl=1&dpID=41a2bs9PKWL&ref=plSrch&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Talculm powder gets sand off skin easily so take if you're planning trips to the beach.

StarkintheSouth Mon 27-Feb-17 11:47:55

Thanks all! Had a lovely week away and these tips were super helpful smile LO didn't mind flying at all, although she did a MONSTER poo on the flight out which presented an interesting challenge ;)

Fresh01 Mon 27-Feb-17 11:57:59

If you are taking pre made formula on the plane take the wee bottles with the tops you can screw back on. I have had airport staff make me tear open the sealed cartons of premade formula to taste it in front of them. We then had to empty a couple of Tommy Tippee water cups to put the formula into as we only had one empty bottle and couldn't reveal the carton.

Fresh01 Mon 27-Feb-17 11:58:24

Sorry just seen you have been!

GeekLove Mon 27-Feb-17 12:40:02

along with mixing up clothes keep a change of swim wear in hand luggage so you can do beach things if things go do missing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now