Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Displaying axes without blade protection at child height

(17 Posts)
FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Tue 14-Feb-17 09:45:57

I was a bit surprised that Homepage had a display of axes at ankle height with no guard over the blade, just plonked on the bottom shelf.

I mentioned this to a staff member who said 'well what do you expect we are a DIY store'

They were on a shelf by the curtains and kitchen bits and pieces not amongst the tools.

I'm not sure if I'm being over health and safety conscious to expect them to have the blades covered and not at a height a child could hurt themselves.

So AIBU to expect them to put something over an exposed blade at child height?

AndNowItsSeven Tue 14-Feb-17 09:47:19

Yanbu, of course they should be onhigh shelves.

anonbecauseiwanna Tue 14-Feb-17 09:48:13

Tbh I think children should be supervised by their parents / guardians who are taking them into the shop.
It's a diy store, not soft play, therefore there is no expectation that it should be child friendly.

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 09:48:35

There isn't a ticket on the shelf - were they just dumped there? I would be surprised but then as a parent you know to keep an eye on kids on stores selling sharp stuff, poisonous stuff, machinery...

CMOTDibbler Tue 14-Feb-17 09:49:20

Its a DIY shop. You keep your children next to you, and their fingers away from everything

PovertyPain Tue 14-Feb-17 09:49:39

I know it's a novel idea, but how about parents look after their children in a store that will have loads of dangerous items? Seriously, op, it's a hardwear store, so there will be more than axes to worry about, so unless you're raring a mini serial killer that's going to grab the axe and running screaming through the aisles, the child should be safe.

Soubriquet Tue 14-Feb-17 09:49:46

Tbh I think children should be supervised by their parents / guardians who are taking them into the shop

Yes but I wouldn't expect axes with no safety guard on the bottom shelf either

So yabu and yanbu really

Introvertedbuthappy Tue 14-Feb-17 09:49:48

Why would anyone allow a child to wander round unaccompanied in a DIY store selling dangerous tools, poisonous pesticides etc? Am I missing something?...confused

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 09:49:53

And your husband.

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Tue 14-Feb-17 09:50:09

I completely agree children should be supervised. I just can't quite decide in my mind whether leaving the blade exposed is going a step too far the other way.

Camelopardtoes Tue 14-Feb-17 09:50:12

If they're in the wrong section someone probably left them there and it's not a standard display method but presumably adults can walk past without losing a limb so I don't see an issue. The world doesn't need to be childproofed if you supervise your child

TheFairyCaravan Tue 14-Feb-17 09:51:57

It's a DIY shop, there's danger around every corner. It's your job to keep your children safe not their's.

YABU

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 09:51:57

I'd be more worried in case a trolley caught a handle and the blade shot out and chopped off my toes.

ShotsFired Tue 14-Feb-17 09:52:32

YANBU.

They could at least have arranged them in an attractive fan-shaped display or something. Not even a kid will buy them all dumped like that.

SnotGoblin Tue 14-Feb-17 09:53:07

I have absolutely no problem with axes minus safety guards stored anywhere (but especially in a DIY shop). 'Ankle height' made me laugh. I suppose if you trip and stumble into the axe on the shelf with enough force, it just might lop your foot off.

VeryPunny Tue 14-Feb-17 09:54:17

To be fair I think you have a point. The kitchen knives in John Lewis and IKEA are all in locked cabinets, or at the very least tied to a display. Axes shouldn't be any different.

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Tue 14-Feb-17 09:57:19

I do like the idea of responsibility for things falling back towards parents and think in many areas health and safety has gone a bit mad and there always has to be blame.

It was a genuine is this unreasonable and it appears, by majority vote, it's not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now