Talk

Advanced search

To wish all children could walk to school so my commute is this nice every day

(43 Posts)
beanfilledfish Tue 14-Feb-17 08:10:27

It takes me 10 minutes to get into work no school traffic or fumes to sit in or irate school run drivers grin

Sirzy Tue 14-Feb-17 08:10:54

If it's only a 10 minute drive surely you could walk?

HeyYouYesYou Tue 14-Feb-17 08:12:03

Well, a 10-minute drive is far too far to walk usually! 6km or so?

Afreshstartplease Tue 14-Feb-17 08:12:11

Why should they walk if you don't

beanfilledfish Tue 14-Feb-17 08:12:15

well no it's in the middle of nowhere and I need my car when i'm there. wish I could walk!

OnlyHereForTheCamping Tue 14-Feb-17 08:14:02

Parents take time off during holidays that is why the traffic is lighter.

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 14-Feb-17 08:14:50

FGS - there's always one sirzy. Let's conservatively say OP drives 30 miles an hour. That would make a ten minute drive 5 miles (or is my maths totally wrong?!). That would be over an hour for most people and quite a feat before work!

Sirzy Tue 14-Feb-17 08:16:24

But lots of people also have drives to school which take 10 mins or more. Especially for secondary schools!

nuttyknitter Tue 14-Feb-17 08:19:42

Lots of parents have to drop children at school and drive on to work - they don't have the luxury of walking!

Bagel88 Tue 14-Feb-17 08:20:08

Could you cycle to work instead?

BowiesJumper Tue 14-Feb-17 08:24:59

I know it's amazing! My commute is so much faster in the holidays.

BewtySkoolDropowt Tue 14-Feb-17 08:26:19

Oh my, this is AIBU op so there was bound to be one! It's not like the op is thinking its likely or even saying that it should be the case, it's just a wish!

Enjoy the school-free commute while you can :D

tabulahrasa Tue 14-Feb-17 08:32:14

It's not the school run that does it, it's all the parents off work to look after children.

I drive to work at the 5 o'clock rush hour and it's quieter during school holidays.

TiggyD Tue 14-Feb-17 08:36:35

I blame parents. There's even websites around just for them!

smilingsarahb Tue 14-Feb-17 08:40:05

I work term time only. I love my half term commute☺

SherlockPotter Tue 14-Feb-17 08:42:31

Me too! Getting the bus at 8am is like a dream, no school traffic! There are school kids on the bus though (one of the secondary schools doesn't do half terms).

EweAreHere Tue 14-Feb-17 08:42:47

Yes, why don't all parents just give up work why they have school age children and ensure they get their children into the closest school, no matter how rubbish it is, and walk even if it's not safe or too far away for walking to be sensible. Just for people like you.

Totally not in the mood for this same old same old crap.

TiggyD Tue 14-Feb-17 08:45:13

I work in a nursery in a school. The commute is easier, the noisy children aren't around, the car park is empty, the staff room is quiet, and lots of the children stay at home with their older siblings so numbers are lower. Very nice. smile

5moreminutes Tue 14-Feb-17 08:47:15

bean could you go to work earlier to avoid the traffic - my DH works 7am to 4pm partly for this reason, and I always used to do that too when I had an office job (shifts starting at 6am now - also no traffic!) grin

I agree the whole school thing seems messed up in the UK - if all kids went to catchment schools and all who lived more than a mile or a mile and a half away got a free bus pass, then all children walking to school would be realistic.

I'd bet lots of people would still drive them though, it's so ingrained in people's expectations now. I wonder how many of those driving do live under a mile away ... a lot ...

Part of it is that people don't trust their 8,9,10 year olds to walk without a parent and it is the parent who doesn't want to/ have time to walk them. In most countries those children would be walking in groups or taking a school or regular bus.

More crossing patrols / loolypop ladies/ men and a return to actually going to the local school, and free bus passes for the route to school for those who live more than a mile away would all be sensible - as would people who don't have to start work at 8-9am for any good reason making the sensible choice to start earlier and finish earlier, or start and finish later so that not everyone is travelling at the same time!

More flexibility for more office workers to work from home several days per week would also help...

amusedbush Tue 14-Feb-17 08:49:28

The train was lovely and empty this morning, I got a double seat to myself! grin

hmcAsWas Tue 14-Feb-17 08:51:21

I suspect op started this thread in the full knowledge it would get everyone het up. Don't give op the satisfaction

InvisibleKittenAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 08:56:05

It's parents taking time off - not those not driving to school, which is why the trains that never have school children on it normally are much quieter.

For those saying "go to your closest school" are clearly just thinking about Primary, in our area secondary schools are fewer and further apart taking children from massive geographical areas. Buses aren't free so if you have a parent at home anyway it's considerably cheaper to drive them.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 14-Feb-17 08:59:11

Don't worry op Id love to walk to school too.

Shame the local wasn't an option when it was time to apply. Unless of course you think people should go to the worst schools in the area just to make your life easier?

woodhill Tue 14-Feb-17 09:01:11

I notice a difference when the private schools are off for longer, several nearby and senior school kids being driven to the doorstep. We have good public transport links here.

TheSconeOfStone Tue 14-Feb-17 09:02:58

My children used to walk to school. Unfortunately the local school was utterly shit at dealing with my DD's autism. So now we add the the school run problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now