Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To take my kids to the natural history museum . . .

(77 Posts)
littlem133 Tue 14-Feb-17 07:16:50

. . . Next Monday? I've taken them in half term before and the queue to get in was so horrific one DS wet himself which was quite traumatic. But they want to go back - there or the science museum- and if I'm right most counties are on half term this week and not next. Am I right?

luckylucky24 Tue 14-Feb-17 07:19:38

Are your kids on half term next week? If so I don't see the issue. If this week and you want to keep them off an extra day yabu.

I know a few areas on half term this week and a few next week.

Disappointednomore Tue 14-Feb-17 07:22:15

London is half term this week. The trains and roads are much quieter. Next Monday is an inset day at my DD's school though so others may be doing the same.

ilovelamp82 Tue 14-Feb-17 07:23:41

Half the people I know have half term this week and half next week. So if it's about how busy it is I don't think it will make a difference so I would just take them in their half term.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 14-Feb-17 07:24:01

Sometimes inset days are worse because everyone thinks 'oh it's an inset day it will be quieter.' I think that you can book a timed entry.

MrsT2007 Tue 14-Feb-17 07:25:32

Lots of schools ate on half term next week.

Iamastonished Tue 14-Feb-17 07:27:24

There does seem to be an even split around the country for the February half term. Our LA are off next week, but the one next to us is off this week. So I doubt it would make any difference whether you go this week or next.

Shoxfordian Tue 14-Feb-17 07:29:32

It's going to be busy; I'd try to get there for when it opens to avoid some of the queues

katcatkat Tue 14-Feb-17 07:33:52

Natural history museum is a building site with one of the main entrances and the main hall closed making the queue to get in longer and it chaos inside.

MrsJamin Tue 14-Feb-17 07:34:18

I wouldn't, it's getting so busy especially around the dinosaur, it's just horrid.

BikeRunSki Tue 14-Feb-17 07:36:42

Go in via the Earth Galleries (Geological Museum) round the corner on Exhibition Rd, the queues are often shorter.

Carollocking Tue 14-Feb-17 07:39:08

This week most in the south are off next week most in the north are off

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 14-Feb-17 07:40:17

We are in the South, mine are off next week! Our bordering area is this week, all very odd.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Tue 14-Feb-17 07:40:22

I wouldn't take them out of school for it just to avoid a bloody queue! That's shocking parenting, effectively telling them that if something's too much hassle you can sack something important off for your own convenience.

However, if your DC are on half term then just take them. The queue will be shit, make sure you wrap up warm, maybe take a flask of hot choc, and something to keep them entertained.

Twoevils Tue 14-Feb-17 07:41:26

Hampshire is off next week. I expect a fair proportion of them will head to London. It's s big city though!

TheFallenMadonna Tue 14-Feb-17 07:41:34

We went to the Science museum yesterday and it was fine. There was a queue to get in , but it only took about 5 minutes and moved the whole time. Once in, there was a bit of hanging around for some of the interactive stuff, but not too bad. Didn't do the Wonderlab (older child) but there seemed to be a lot of people there.

beanfilledfish Tue 14-Feb-17 07:43:16

dinsoaur has moved hasn't he? don't see a problem just get there early as poss everyone seems to get to london around lunchtime but earlier it's much nicer! Museum of London is pretty good too

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 14-Feb-17 07:45:36

west midlands are off next week.

thesurreyyouth Tue 14-Feb-17 07:46:48

I would avoid Monday, as others have said it's likely to be an inset day for many schools. I tried to take mine between Christmas and New Years but the queue for the NHM was horrific. Made the decision to go to the science museum instead and although there was no queuing it was unbearably busy & I couldn't wait to leave.

MrsJamin Tue 14-Feb-17 07:47:45

I'm in the south east, kids off this week. Are you near Oxford? I really enjoyed going to the natural history museum there instead of London.

Inthehighcastle Tue 14-Feb-17 07:49:58

Oh god I'm going there tomorrow! Trains been booked for ages, is it going to be really busy? I booked the train before I found out the dinosaur was moving so I'm already gutted about that- it's not going to look like Andys dinosaur adventures now!

BubbleWrapQueen Tue 14-Feb-17 07:51:57

We went a couple of Sundays ago, queue was long but in within 15 mins and inside wasn't overly crowded. ExH went Sunday and couldn't get in so chose the science museum instead. Luck of the draw I guess. But if it's inset day, go for it. If the queue is awful, go next door!

(But yes, main entrance and hall closed off, completely threw my bearings, I hated it!!!)

theothercatpurred Tue 14-Feb-17 07:53:45

Inthehighcastle it's always really busy in school holidays. We went on a busy day and enjoyed it anyway!

A tip - take your own food. The museum cafe is truly extortionate!

SnugglySnerd Tue 14-Feb-17 07:53:58

Last time I went was a Saturday in term time, it was relatively quiet - no queue to get in, dinos were busy but able to stroll round the rest and take our time. Why not do that in a couple of weeks?

Titsywoo Tue 14-Feb-17 07:54:29

If you do go use the side entrance on exhibition road. No queues there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now