Talk

Advanced search

To be really frightened and want a doctor :(

(87 Posts)
HackAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 03:17:07

My 23 month old was seen out of hours a week on Sunday ago with a 39.9 temp. Turned out to be tonsillitis, penicillin prescribed.

80 hours later temp still needing calpol and nurofen to stay under control. Minimal fluid and almost no food going in. Also having flu symptoms (didn't before) plus diarrhoea. Gp reviews and switches to arythromicin (Thursday). Huge improvement, eating small amounts and having a little energy back.

Roll on today, as of 5 pm, projectile vomiting starts out of nowhere. Advised to stop new antibiotics as infection is probably gone. Six times since 5 pm.

He struggles to gain weight normally and through illness in one week has lost the pound it took nearly three months to gain. He's visibly skinny all over and dribbling lots.

He's seen out of hours earlier and I keep getting the paranoid parent look. I'm really not he's barely seen a doctor since he was born, plus I have lots on at work. I'm just frightened my baby is so ill sad

Snog Tue 14-Feb-17 03:20:52

Follow your instincts and get him some medical attention

HackAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 03:24:34

How do I get them to take this seriously? His weight is just dropping and he was only on the 9th centile anyway sad

gloopygloop Tue 14-Feb-17 03:25:06

If you are worried then get him to a doctor,

I hope he feels better soon, it sounds like you are going through a horrible time x

Magstermay Tue 14-Feb-17 03:25:16

Sometimes you do have to wait for things to pass, however it is impossible to know what is wrong over the Internet so if you are worried please call 111 wineflowers

Amethyst81 Tue 14-Feb-17 03:27:24

Go back, he still sounds really poorly, does your doctor come out to you? If they do I would insist on them seeing him, if not appointment at your practice very first thing in the morning.

HackAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 03:28:19

Thank you, apart from my own gp, who said the tonsillitis had moved to his chest as he wasn't responding to penicillin, I've just felt so fobbed off. Two doctors this week have told me he needs to be putting weight back on. How do I do that if he can't eat or is vomiting? I just feel so out of my depth.

JontyDoggle37 Tue 14-Feb-17 03:28:35

Call 111 - with minimal fluid intake plus diarrhoea plus vomiting they'll get him in to local hospital children's ward for observation via A&E. call them straight away, you can't hang about when little ones are getting dehydrated. Best of luck.

JontyDoggle37 Tue 14-Feb-17 03:30:51

Sorry meant to add, DS is 21 months and we had the exact same 3 weeks ago. We rang 111, they sent an ambulance because he was lethargic plus temp plus dehydration, they took us and plonked him on a drip for 12 hours and he was like a different little boy - went from laid in my arms listless to bombing up and down the corridor by the time we left. Call 111, they're good at getting you the help you need at times like this.

HackAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 03:31:09

Thanks Amethyst I'm thinking my gp in the morning as I felt she actually paid attention. He's non verbal (some delay issues) but he keeps pointing at his mouth, his way of telling me something hurts then grinding his teeth and rubbing his head.

GreatFuckability Tue 14-Feb-17 03:33:26

But hes seen a doctor. He has a bug. I get that its difficult and I also have a child who doesn't gain weight well, but there isn't much more a doctor can do at this stage.

HackAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 03:33:57

Hi Jonty, my a and e said they expect me to keep syringing in fluid and they try everything not to admit children. I'm not medically trained and I just wish they would take it seriously. His clothes are hanging on him.

Amethyst81 Tue 14-Feb-17 03:34:31

When you phone the practice insist that it is an emergency and he needs to see your GP right away, usually young children are a priority, I hope he gets better soon OP flowers

HackAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 03:35:51

He hasn't had a bug, he's had bacterial tonsillitis and a chest infection. I don't see how he could have a bug he's been too ill to go anywhere!! No one, including his older brother, in the house is sick.

HackAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 03:37:05

Thank you Amethyst, my gp was amazing on Thursday and she did say if he took a turn for the worse to ask for an emergency appointment.

Olympiathequeen Tue 14-Feb-17 03:55:09

Don't worry about the weight for now. Just ensure he is as well hydrated as you can get him. It's dehydration that kills in the short term. If he stops passing urine or is unable to swallow get him back to a and e. Calpol and ibuprofen will help with pain which may be stopping drinking.

Italiangreyhound Tue 14-Feb-17 04:40:26

Always follow your gut HackAttack.

Is he drinking at all now? If you are worried call 111 or go to A and E.

So the tonsillitis was 8 or 9 days ago.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tonsillitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

This has useful ideas on feeding and drinks

www.thebump.com/a/tonsillitis-baby

I have no idea and I am not medical but could this be related to pneumonia? (Pneumonia is swelling (inflammation) of the tissue in one or both lungs. It's usually caused by a bacterial infection.) The dribbling makes it sound like Tonsillitis to me* (again, I am not a medical persona at all!) but you also said "projectile vomiting".

I don't really understand "...the tonsillitis had moved to his chest..." if it is his chest does that mean lungs?

Nausea or vomiting are less common symptoms of pneumonia.

Drooling is one of the symptoms of tonsillitis so if he is still drooling does that mean the tonsillitis is still there?

Decreased appetite or loss of appetite seems to potentially go with tonsillitis and pneumonia.

I have no idea which is more serious, I would just want to try and work out what he has, whether he still has tonsillitis etc.

Did you talk to the GP about teeth grinding and pointing to head?

No idea if this helps....

kidshealth.org/en/parents/bruxism.html

I am so sorry you are going through this, please speak to someone medically trained a.s.a.p. and let us know how he is.

I am not trying to diagnose your baby, I am saying I think you are right to be worried and you should express that you feel 'fobbed off'.

Good luck, thanks [hugs]

Italiangreyhound Tue 14-Feb-17 04:41:52

Sorry, i mean Decreased appetite or loss of appetite seems to potentially go with tonsillitis or pneumonia, not necessarily both.

SnugglyBedSocks Tue 14-Feb-17 04:49:28

How much fluid is he drinking? Is he having wet nappies?

JoandMax Tue 14-Feb-17 04:52:33

Poor you and your lovely boy, he sounds really poorly.

I would definitely get him reviewed, and I am not one at all who usually runs to the doctors. If he could go on a drip for fluids it would probably make a huge difference.

DS2 has always had issues with weight, he's now nearly 7 and it's a constant battle to try and get him to either maintain or put on anything! At your DSs age we used a powder called duocal - concentrated source of calories to add to milk or food and it did really help. Maybe once this is over you could ask about something like that? DS2 is still under a paed, he had some other problems as a baby but although he is technically underweight he's full of energy and happy and healthy so it's just been put down to him being a naturally super slim person! It does worry me sometimes though so I empthasie with you xxxx

Camelsinthegobi Tue 14-Feb-17 05:00:32

I definitely would get him to your gp today. They can think about his weight, vomiting and infections.

Before that, don't worry about his weight, that's more of a long term issue. concentrate on dehydration, temperature, lethargy. Does he still have a fever? Stiff neck? Is he unconscious or very lethargic? Is he Weeing? If you're concerned about these things then call out of hours gp or go to a and e (especially with a stiff neck, extreme lethargy or not weeing).

oldstripeyNEWname1 Tue 14-Feb-17 05:28:55

Didn't want to let you worry at this time of night. There are three things to do here. 1. What you can do at home. 2. Getting urgent help today 3. Following up on weight gain.

I have always had huge babies so can't comment on that, but I have had a very poorly one with a few night time trips to hospital. More times on a drip than I'd care to remember. Is he awake now? Have you tried all the tricks to get fluids in? Tiny sips, not glugs. Easier to swallow if his poor throat is sore, and less likely to throw up. Let him suck ice lollies, or just ice, or corner of a wet flannel (obviously supervise). Syringe or spoon tiny amounts off a medicine spoon. Or rather let him suck or lick it off-the feeling of the syringe can be frightening and provoke choke response. At this stage, water ideally but bribery too- favourite juice, squash. Think fix dehydration first, deal with vomit if it happens second. Above all, calmness and reassurance for him and you. If his immune system has taken a bash, he may have something as simple as a mouth ulcer. Which would account for the dribbles and refusal to really have much in his mouth. One of mine always has ulcers a week after a cold which stops him eating.

Secondly as per other posters, yes, if you cannot get fluids into him yourself, or he deteriorates, get urgent help. Don't wait for GP opening hours, ring 111. Be persistent and follow your instincts. It is frightening but amazing how resilient children are with the right interventions. I worried 'about bothering' 111 once, fearing I would be overreacting. They heard my son's breathing in the background whilst I was on the phone to them, sent an ambulance. Mid November, there's me holding my 10 month old naked child whilst one paramedic tried to get his temperature down and the other bluelighted us to A&E. Less than 24 hrs later, severe bronchial infection under control, we were back at home.

Lastly, weight gain. I think you maybe need to take a step back just for a few days. You've been through a lot over the past few weeks and clearly that's been really distressing for you. But growth/weight and development need to be looked at as a pattern, not in the immediate aftermath of an illness. Aside from the emergency appt you talked about for today, could you write down all of your concerns? Detail any dates you can remember about coughs,colds, illnesses etc. Especially any that lingered or were unusual compared to his peers. Go though his red book and fill in as much as you can. Then make an appt to see GP by yourself or with support (just without DC). Talk all of this through with them.

It sounds as though you are worried things 'are just not right', and are worried how you can help him. It may just be bloody bad luck, that he's just picked up a lot of bugs.

You and your GP sound like you are really looking out for himsmile

3luckystars Tue 14-Feb-17 05:50:51

Definitely definitely DEFINITELY get him checked again today, if you feel fobbed off say "no, I am still worried" "no, I am not happy" and stay until they really check every bit of him, especially inside his mouth.

HackAttack Tue 14-Feb-17 08:27:27

Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of response, we all fell asleep! Will be ringing when gp opens at half past.

He is still having wet nappies, not as at as much as normal but still wet. He is taking regular sips of diluted squash. Not awake yet to see how he is.

The gp said the infection moved to his left lung (sorry if I wasn't clear, so blooming tired).

He's lacked energy right from the tonsillitis starting, just wants to lie in your arms cuddling. The dribbling started alongside the vomiting.

Out of hours said his throat looks fine now. You can still hear a crackle when he's breathing but not as bad. No obvious neck stiffness, rash or anything like that.

Have I missed anything? When I've seen doctors I've definitely told them everything.

RandomMess Tue 14-Feb-17 08:30:58

No advice apart from on insist on GP seeing him, it is so difficult and frightening when they are non-verbal, clearly unwell and you have no idea what is really wrong.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now