Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much time your dog spends in the garden?

(35 Posts)
user1477282676 Mon 13-Feb-17 23:34:07

It's because our dog wants to be outside all day...he's a Maremma and we have a very big garden so it's not an issue..he's only 1 and a bit and we had some issues with him barking when he was younger, but this has improved drastically since we moved to a quieter area...and due to an intense period of us working with him.

Maremmas are a type of Italian sheepdog and they are known barkers...we ended up with him by default as he was living in a tiny pen in the middle of nowhere because the farmer who owned his Mother had sold all his brothers and this one was left because he was a bit small.

We came across him sitting surrounded by his own poo, dirty and sad...so we talked to himt rhough the fence and then the farmer came along and said "You can have him if you like. I don't want him"

angry

Anyway...that's me explaining how we ended up with what is essentially a working dog.

He's beautiful, affectionate and playful...but BIG and he loves to be outdoors. He comes in only if it gets too hot (we're in Oz) or if I make him come in.

I read an article the other day where a Maremma owner said he never lets his out all day as they're not to be "wild" in that way or they get out of control.

Ours still has the odd bark but not excessively and I NEVER let it go beyond two or three barks...I go out and ask him what it is and he is happy with that...I think he feels he's done his job if I come and check...so he barks on average about 5 times a day but only in a short burst.

My question is...is this excessive? Is 5 times a day or so too many times?

It's literally "Woof! Woof!" and then I nip out the back and shout "What's wrong?"

And it's usually a person walking past or something....or the post man and when I've seen what it is, he's happy and goes back to his business. digging holes

Should I keep him in more? We've had no complaints but I don't want any! He sleeps inside at night after spending a bit of time sitting with us. The picture isn't our dog but that's what they look like.

MipMipMip Mon 13-Feb-17 23:46:33

You do what works for you any your dog. It sounds like you keep him well trained so I really wouldn't worry about him going wild. I'd be a LOT more worried about someone not letting his dog out. Dogs that do not get the exercise they need are far more likely to be aggressive and will not be happy. Just hope your arm doesn't get too tired from all the ball throwing you must do to wear him out!

Pumpkintopf Mon 13-Feb-17 23:49:51

You sound lovely and like you're trying really hard to do right by the dog and your neighbours. I don't think anyone would have the right to complain, it's not like you're locking him out all day with him barking to come in! How kind of you to rescue him like that too, he's lucky to have such a caring owner.

niceglassofdrywhitewine Mon 13-Feb-17 23:50:02

He's a baby. Looks like a giant golden retriever.

user1477282676 Mon 13-Feb-17 23:52:00

Mip he won't play fetch! grin Thats one of the quirks of Maremmas, they don't play like other dogs. You throw a ball or something and they just look at it as if to say "What's that for?"

He likes a wrestle and he loves to run laps round the garden whilst I clap...for some reason! I clap loudly and he sets off on a mad dash....then he runs closer and close to where I'm standing till I chase him.

I've lost a stone since I got him hmm He has two walks a day and a swim. grin

user1477282676 Mon 13-Feb-17 23:53:58

Nice yes they do look a bit like hairy retreivers...they're bigger though. That one isn't mine though he looks just like that. Pumpkin thanks but we couldn;t leave him! He'd gone past the tiny cute stage and he was so sad sitting there all legs and hair and no toys or anything!

MipMipMip Mon 13-Feb-17 23:55:32

Ha ha he sounds fantastic. Maybe you need one of those kids toys that clap all day....

user1477282676 Mon 13-Feb-17 23:56:25

I should get one yes! My hands sting by the time he's had enough grin

shadowfax07 Mon 13-Feb-17 23:57:59

I think five times a day and only a couple of warning barks is fine. My dog also likes spending a lot of time in the garden during the summer - he'd probably spend more time out there in the winter if he was allowed to.

I fell in love with Maremmas when we saw the film Oddball, wonderful film. In case anyone doesn't know what it's about:

www.warrnamboolpenguins.com.au

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 14-Feb-17 00:00:48

Honestly that's fine - we live in a terraced house and next door's dog barks hysterically all the sodding time - that's excessive. What you're describing isn't.

Mind you, our dog won't go in the garden alone - too big and scary for her - so I don't think we are perfect dog owners either! grin

user1477282676 Tue 14-Feb-17 00:01:08

Shadow yes it's a great film isn't it! And it depicts them so well! They really are a handful...we often joke that if he could, ours would love to run riot round town.

We don't have any penguins so he looks after our DD and her mates. When they play, they often play in the field which adjoins our property and he stands by the fence watching them and shouting if any stranger comes past.

user1477282676 Tue 14-Feb-17 00:01:41

Pony aw...what dog do you have?

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 14-Feb-17 00:03:19

We have absolutely no idea as she's a rescue too. She looks a bit like a shih tzu crossed with poodle and is about the size of a rabbit.

tabulahrasa Tue 14-Feb-17 00:04:23

I don't leave mine out in the garden unsupervised, he gets up to things he shouldn't left to his own devices...

I take him in if he barks more than once.

He's not a flock guardian breed, but a Rottweiler so similar original job and I don't need him barking every time he spots something he thinks is suspicious, because that's nearly everything, lol.

But there's no right or wrong answer to what you're asking, it depends on your dog, what you expect from him, your garden size and layout and how close your neighbours are really.

FireSquirrel Tue 14-Feb-17 00:04:38

Normal dog advice doesn't apply here because a Maremma is not a normal dog. They love being outdoors and are very happy in their own company, even prefer it. If he wants to be outside and isn't making a nuisance of himself then I'd let him spend as much time outdoors as he wanted. I don't think a handful of barks is excessive and I don't think letting him spend time outdoors will make him out of control , he's still having plenty of contact with you and you can carry on short training sessions.

altiara Tue 14-Feb-17 00:25:16

Sounds fine to me, yes he barks a little bit but not annoyingly so.
I'd also let him go outside as much as he wants if you feel he isn't going wild and listens to you.
From what you've said you sound considerate to both neighbours and your dog. smile

DontTouchTheMoustache Tue 14-Feb-17 00:27:58

You sound like lovely dog owners, I'm glad you got him away from.that awful farmer. My dog would be outside all day if he could but it's freezing here and he has to have the door open to make sure he has the option of coming back in (even though he can open the doors anyway when I close them) so basically whenever he goes out everyone inside has to freeze. Keep letting him play out, he sounds like a happy pup.

PenelopeFlintstone Tue 14-Feb-17 00:30:09

Get him some chickens to look after; Maremmas love it and the bonus is eggs!
If you were my neighbour, that barking wouldn't bother me.

user1477282676 Tue 14-Feb-17 00:33:39

Penelope we did and he tried to murder them immediately. sad Poor Mrs Clucky had to recover herself for a week after he met them. We had put them in their coop and they escaped immediately through a small gap...DH had sworn the coop was secure....not!

The dog thought Woo Hoo! Dinner! And chased them all over the place. They hid..two of them...down the back of the shed and I got them back inside and secure.

They have a nice big run now. I think we left his chicken training too late. Apparently they need to be exposed to them from very young. Now he just comes up to their run to stare at them through the wire when I visit them. hmm

KoalaDownUnder Tue 14-Feb-17 04:12:13

My dog has a dog door and spends as much time as she wants in the garden. smile (Am also in Oz)

You and your dog both sound awesome, and the amount of barking sounds fine & normal. Congrats on adopting him!

PenelopeFlintstone Tue 14-Feb-17 04:28:53

Penelope we did and he tried to murder them immediately.
I'm so glad you'd already done this and didn't go and do it on my say-so!! It would have been all my fault! grin

SuperBeagle Tue 14-Feb-17 04:59:36

If he's not barking at night, it's fine, IMO.

When I had neighbours, I didn't mind dogs barking occasionally through the day as you're always occupied with something and there are other living noises etc. Barking is only irritating at night (and fortunately, it was very rare that our neighbourhood dogs barked at night).

We live in acreage now (also in Oz) and our two dogs are literal sloths. My Beagle, in particular, basically has to be forced to go outside during the day as I start to worry that he'll give himself a bladder infection or something. Loves going for a walk, but won't take himself outside unless he's desperate.

We had a German Shepherd in the past who vastly preferred being outside though. In fact, you could put beds etc. out for her and she'd still opt for a patch of dirt.

SuperBeagle Tue 14-Feb-17 05:00:05

Oh, and second having a dog door! We wouldn't be without one.

Sugarlumps333 Tue 14-Feb-17 05:08:56

Wow what a beautiful dog flowers - mine love being in the garden as much as possible but don't bark out there too much. Mostly try to keep them away from the window as the house opposite has two black cats who sit up at the window purring away and napping - driving my dogs to distraction. The cats are beautiful and total wind up merchants but have to be very careful to keep them away from my dogs out in the street as fairly sure it would be curtains for the cats shockthey don't bark at any other cats, just the 2 in the window

WanderLustingLane Tue 14-Feb-17 06:56:37

I'm pretty laid back and have never been bothered by neighborhood noise,newborns crying in early hours, dogs barking in daytime, bit of music at weekends, cars driving by, ...it's all to be expected.
So it wouldn't bother me at all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: