Talk

Advanced search

To think that courgette spaghetti is NOT a perfect alternative to pasta?

(116 Posts)
Ollycat Mon 13-Feb-17 19:02:19

Despite the claims on the packet it really isn't is it?

Artandco Mon 13-Feb-17 19:05:06

Well it works well with meatballs in sauce the same

Butterymuffin Mon 13-Feb-17 19:06:57

One of the cruellest of life's deceptions. It's not spaghetti, whatever the marketing people may say.

teaping Mon 13-Feb-17 19:07:22

I love it as a pasta alternative!

You can get 'spaghetti' which is dried and made out of beans / pulses but is lower calories and carbs which is much closer to real pasta. It's expensive but really quite nice.

ovenchips Mon 13-Feb-17 19:08:05

I have found it a perfunctory alternative if you're low carbing. Perfunctory at best, really. Pasta it ain't but I have got used to it.

SloanePeterson Mon 13-Feb-17 19:08:23

I use it in place of noodles rather than pasta, works well with a stir fry with stock in it.

strugglingstepdad Mon 13-Feb-17 19:08:32

I liked one of the hairy bikers dieting ones. Swapping out lasagne sheets for leek! It was really nice!

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 13-Feb-17 19:09:09

I saw very thin slices of butternut squash being sold as lasagne sheets today.

I really like vegetables but I don't really see why you'd pretend they were something else.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Mon 13-Feb-17 19:09:32

If its not pasta, its not spaghetti. It's a pile of oddly cut vegetable.

GlitterGlue Mon 13-Feb-17 19:10:15

It's nice, but not very filling.

Cynara Mon 13-Feb-17 19:10:30

Try butternut squash, spiralised and stir fried with garlic and chilli. Still not pasta, but not bad at all and a bit more substantial than courgette.

SpiritedLondon Mon 13-Feb-17 19:10:32

You can use it mixed in with regular pasta as a way of reducing your consumption of the real stuff...and it's a lot less watery that way.

brasty Mon 13-Feb-17 19:11:05

Spaghetti with sauce is lovely. Especially linguine

WindwardCircle Mon 13-Feb-17 19:11:11

I think it's okay with a hefty dose of protein, so replacing the spaghetti in spag bol or with meatballs, but with something like a basic tomato or pesto sauce it's hardly filling.

NoelHeadbands Mon 13-Feb-17 19:11:29

I'm not keen on pasta so the vegetable spaghetti/ lasagne stuff suits me

Purplebluebird Mon 13-Feb-17 19:12:40

You know what I love? Mixing spaghetti and courgette "spaghetti" (I just cut it up like spaghetti strands), put loads of garlic in with the courgette, some olive oil, and cook it for a while, then at the end you add spaghetti and crumble feta cheese on top. YUM!

Madbengalmum Mon 13-Feb-17 19:13:16

Pre cut courgetti in a packet is fowl. However, done freshly at home it is bearable.

MiladyThesaurus Mon 13-Feb-17 19:13:22

I loathe courgetti (and boodles). They are no substitute for spaghetti and would ruin your meal.

I really don't understand why this is currently a thing. There are plenty of better ways to increase your consumption of courgette or butternut squash.

Melfish Mon 13-Feb-17 19:13:32

M&S do butternut squash noodles which are nicer and more filling than the courgette ones.

Madbengalmum Mon 13-Feb-17 19:13:36

Haha foul not fowl

Snifftest Mon 13-Feb-17 19:14:13

I'd be fine with it if they didn't try and market it as pasta! It's fucking veg. If I want to replace my pasta with a lower carb alternative then great, I'll have veg. If I want pasta I want fucking pasta, not some crappily named vegetable substitute that is nothing like pasta!

Snifftest Mon 13-Feb-17 19:14:56

If you hadn't noticed, I don't like it and it's one of my pet peeves.

Argh. Rant. Over.

CatchTheRainbow Mon 13-Feb-17 19:16:36

Where do you get it from? Both Asda and Tesco don't seem to stock it anymore?

Ollycat Mon 13-Feb-17 19:17:24

So pleased it's not just me!

Am in a diet (going v well) and I thought I'd substitute my spaghetti for courgetti - currently feeling a little sad sad

So cauliflower rice - work if the devil?

For the record I love courgettes and cauliflower but not in the place of pasta and rice!

Artandco Mon 13-Feb-17 19:18:37

Catch - just make at home using basic spiriliser (oxo -£5)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now