Talk

Advanced search

To think pasta pesto isn't a universal kid friendly meal?

(259 Posts)
IHaveBrilloHair Mon 13-Feb-17 18:16:15

I often see this stated as a meal that all kids like, up there with pizza/nuggets/fishfishfingers, but I honestly don't know many kids who like it, and know more who wouldn't know what it is.
Dd's too old for playdates now but I'd never have served it, not in a million years, is it really universal kid food?
Admittedly we live in a small Scottish town but we have a Waitrose, and a Private school, it's not some weird backwater.

Racheyg Mon 13-Feb-17 18:17:33

My two refuse it point blank but they are super fussy eaters. Maybe it's classed as kid friendly food as it's easy?

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Mon 13-Feb-17 18:17:51

My kids would rather lose a limb then eat pasta

TartYvette Mon 13-Feb-17 18:18:00

It is my children's favourite! Both of them.

EatSpamAmandaLamb Mon 13-Feb-17 18:18:13

Hmmm well, my kids all like it and I find it an easy throw together meal along with a handful of frozen veg each.

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 13-Feb-17 18:18:38

Maybe because it's quick and easy as opposed to necessarily being popular?

ExPatchwork Mon 13-Feb-17 18:18:50

Both my children love it!

TartYvette Mon 13-Feb-17 18:19:03

I hate it but for them I fry bacon and add a bit of cream to make the pestoless intense. I still don't like it but it is marginally better than just pesto

Pineapplemilkshake Mon 13-Feb-17 18:19:24

My DS wouldn't eat it despite liking most things, and of all my nieces and nephews I can't imagine any of them would enjoy it either. Surely something like spaghetti in a simple homemade tomato sauce would be more likely to be "child friendly"

tldr Mon 13-Feb-17 18:19:58

I have one who loves it and one for whom I had to rinse it off when I put it on by mistake one time...

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Mon 13-Feb-17 18:20:20

My 14 mo DS loves it as do most kids I know, I assumed it's because it's quite strong, salty tasting and most kids seem to like that sort of thing, like marmite.

I suppose it depends on the kinds of foods they are introduced to when they are little.

Sirzy Mon 13-Feb-17 18:20:54

Ds wouldn't eat it. But then he wouldn't eat pizza or nuggets either.

NoelHeadbands Mon 13-Feb-17 18:21:08

My kids love it but they don't take after me- I can't stand the stuff

gunsandbanjos Mon 13-Feb-17 18:21:18

Tomato pasta is probably more universally liked.
Jarred pesto is grim anyway, fresh stuff is good.

TizzyDongue Mon 13-Feb-17 18:21:24

Mine eat it. They aren't particularly fussy though.

I usually serve up whatever the family are eating to friends (DS2 has a friend who mysteriously appears at the table at dinner time whenever he spots a whole chicken in the oven)

luckylucky24 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:21:32

My eldest wouldn't eat it- my youngest would eat wallpaper paste given the opportunity.

trinitybleu Mon 13-Feb-17 18:21:58

Nope. DD won't go near pesto of any colour and will only eat a couple of mouthfuls of pasta. She'd want salad, garlic bread and some chicken nuggets with it smile

meatloaf Mon 13-Feb-17 18:22:04

DD eats most things but doesn't like it. But I also tolerate it, unless it's fresh pesto 😁

annielouise Mon 13-Feb-17 18:22:08

I never made it for the DC. It wouldn't be my first thought as a kid friendly meal. I agree with Pineapple that a tomato based sauce would be more child friendly. We only ate pasta once a fortnight or so - a homemade tomato/onion sauce with pepper, courgettes and mushrooms in, sometimes with meatballs added.

Lules Mon 13-Feb-17 18:22:17

My toddler loves it and basically any other pasta. Try and get him to eat any form of potato though...

HereBeFuckery Mon 13-Feb-17 18:22:33

Mine loves it, and refuses all tomato based things, so tomato pasta isn't universally loved, sorry!

LordPercy Mon 13-Feb-17 18:22:37

All 3 of my dcs born over a span of a decade wouldn't eat pasta and pesto. Pasta in almost any other sauce, yes, pesto - no chance because it's rank

meatloaf Mon 13-Feb-17 18:23:16

Fish fingers is another one. DD will tolerate fish fingers but would opt for battered fish instead of breadcrumbs.

SallyGinnamon Mon 13-Feb-17 18:23:25

It's a favourite with mine but I wouldn't have served it on a play date. Pizza was my go to for that.

topcat2014 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:23:39

DD hasn't ever had it. Can't say I'm too fussed myself either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now