Talk

Advanced search

To keep going to Slimming World.....

(23 Posts)
NickyEds Mon 13-Feb-17 12:55:36

Even though I'm not 'doing' slimming world? By that I mean I don't measure milk, weigh bread or calculate and count syns- not really following the plan. I really like going though! The people are friendly and whilst the group but can get a bit cringy they're a nice crowd. I was talking to a friend about it over the weekend and she was hmm about it, thought I was being a bit hypocritical. I can sort of see her point but it's surely not doing any harm is it? AIBU to just carry on going?

Thewinedidit Mon 13-Feb-17 13:04:50

If you pay your fiver you're as entitled to go as anyone else is regardless.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 13-Feb-17 13:07:50

It's not hurting anyone and you're paying so why not?

Underthemoonlight Mon 13-Feb-17 13:11:20

Are you wanting to lose weight or are you looking for friendship op?

KP86 Mon 13-Feb-17 13:15:54

I'm a bit like this at the moment. Following the general principles but not weighing and measuring. Still losing weight slowly and I like being accountable and going each week.

I never confess that I'm not following though! Could only imagine the backlash...

OwlinaTree Mon 13-Feb-17 13:18:27

I don't think you are alone in this op. There are people at my group who have been going for years!

ButtonMooooon Mon 13-Feb-17 13:22:23

I still go every week even though I am a Diamond member (Target for a year). I love my Group and can't imagine not going. If you still pay you are entitled to go. Although if you don't do it to the point you start gaining every week your Consultant may have a word as it's wrong of her to take your money every week if it's not working for you (that's what mine does anyway!)

EveOnline2016 Mon 13-Feb-17 13:24:30

I think this is the sensible way to loose weight. Slow and steady and it's a realistic diet in which hopefully you can continue the rest of your life.

WaitrosePigeon Mon 13-Feb-17 13:25:25

You pay, you go.

statetrooperstacey Mon 13-Feb-17 13:25:31

Yes, why not, I think a lot of people do that actually.
Quite cheap really as a hobby!

NorksAkimbo72 Mon 13-Feb-17 13:26:13

I'm doing pretty much the same thing, OP! I joined with my best friend after living abroad for 2 years. The group is lovely and funny, and it has been helpful to have a bit of support. I don't follow the plan to the letter, but I'm having losses every week (around 1lb per week), and I find that the whole family is eating more healthily as a result. I could save myself the £5 and do it myself, but I enjoy the people, and it keeps me mindful of making better choices.

DrivingMeBonkers Mon 13-Feb-17 13:28:03

My Godmother has been going for 45 years confused

I think she has spent something like 12,000 pounds.

Still, it gets her out of the house.

NickyEds Mon 13-Feb-17 13:42:40

Thanks for replying. I'm glad I'm not being totally unreasonable, I'm sure I can't be the only one doing this but some people seem to stick very religiously to it and I now feel like a bit of a fraud!

Underthemoonlight, I do want to lose weight. Lost almost 3 stone since last August- I just don't follow the plan. Making friends is a bonus.

TheCatsMother99 Mon 13-Feb-17 13:57:22

As others have said, you're paying so you're entitled to go.

Only thing I'd say though is that, if you're not actually doing the plan then you're likely to not really be contributing much to the group discussions which is a bit of a shame for the other members. Why not actually give it a go or at least try some of their recipes so you can join in a bit more?

Serin Mon 13-Feb-17 13:59:56

grin at DrivingMeBonkers

Twitsinspace Mon 13-Feb-17 14:02:16

Do you really think the bosses at SW will give a shit. If you are paying they are making. Losing weight is just something they are marketing and millions fall for it every year.

SherlockPotter Mon 13-Feb-17 14:10:40

I've been debating whether to joining SW, I need the motivation to keep losing weight but at the same time, I don't want to follow the diet as such!

NorksAkimbo72 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:15:35

Nicky, I do find that there are members who are pretty evangelical about the programme, and won't hear of simply using it as a guide, and figuring out what works for you. I have an old history of restrictive eating, so while I like the plan because it helps me to stick to a better way of eating, I also know that I don't want to go back to the habit of making moral judgements of every food that passes my lips. I like the focus of increasing fruit or veg with each meal, and the general principles of dairy and bread in moderation, but if I want a slice of bloody cake, I eat it, and move on. I tend not to get into counting syns, as again, I feel like that's a moral judgement, but I tend to try and eat less of that stuff, and the group is helpful for giving you better alternatives when you want crisps/chocolate, etc.
I would have a much harder time losing this weight if I were doing it on my own (I've tried), so I go mainly for the accountability factor, which seems to help.

Catrina1234 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:19:08

I'm the opposite - I more or less stick to the plan but hate going to the group. Hate being weighed, and then all the clapping when someone has lost weight. And if anyone else tells me about Muller light yoghurt I think I'll scream. Low point for me was when we had to pass around a cauliflower because it weighed a pound and we could feel how big it was. FGS.

Marigold101 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:41:55

I joined a few years ago with a friend. We didn't follow the plan really, but did diet. It was more getting weighed every week that was the incentive.
After a few months we decided to do the weighing bit at mine on the same day every week. Record our loss or gain, mainly loss grinand put a fiver in the pot, which we divided out at Christmas. I think about £120 each. Have you got someone you could possibly do that with? It snowballed the next year and 5 of us did it. Good laugh too.

NickyEds Mon 13-Feb-17 20:09:38

The weekly weighing is important to me I think- just not the syns and measuring.

Marigold me and a couple of friends tried something similar before I joined sw but it ended up involving wine and pizza so was counter productive!

acquiescence Mon 13-Feb-17 20:14:31

I use it as a guide but don't go to a group. I'm on various face book groups but darent say I'm not actually following the plan officially. I do weigh food and count calories as this works better for me. I don't want skimmed milk or weird mug shots or muller lights however!

Good for you OP losing all that weight already. And of course yanbu, probably half the people there cheat in some way or have 'cheat days'. Sustainable life changes are best.

Marigold101 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:23:35

Naughty naughty NickyEds grin!** We found we were really just paying a fiver to hop on and off the scales!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now