Talk

Advanced search

To ask how often you go to the dentist?

(13 Posts)
Rightontheschnozz Mon 13-Feb-17 09:14:20

I've recently called my dentist to try make an appointment to be told I'd been taken off the system as I'd missed two appointments. Fair enough I suppose. I should of rang and called to cancel, except I genuinely did forget to attend them both. So I need to find a new dentist. I've not visited since I got my free dentist work done when I have Mat exemption certificate. How often do you go? I've got a wisdom tooth coming through at the moment and it's painful. Also, does anyone know if there is insurance you can take out to cover dentist costs? The prices they charge mortify me!

RedHelenB Mon 13-Feb-17 09:17:09

Yearly for a check up.

Chasingsquirrels Mon 13-Feb-17 09:18:16

I didn't go from 14 to 30 (when I went when pregnant).
I now take my kids 6 monthly but only see them myself every other time i.e. annually.
You can get private dental plans. I have no idea about NHS cost insurance.

megletthesecond Mon 13-Feb-17 09:19:44

Every six months. And hygienist approx once a year.

dementedpixie Mon 13-Feb-17 09:19:53

Every 6 months I get a reminder for a check up (probably works out closer to 8/9 months by the time I remember to make the appointment though)

Ilovewillow Mon 13-Feb-17 09:22:15

Hi - I go the dentist and hygienist every six months. Our dentist doesn't do a plan but I know if others that do. you could look into a healthcare cash plan which cover a certain amount of dental work and checkups per year. Mine also covers opticians and some hospital care - my employer pays for mine but it's about £12.00 a month through WPA.

Burntbum Mon 13-Feb-17 09:22:49

My dentist normally tells me to make an appointment for nine months' time.

BlueberryMarshmallow Mon 13-Feb-17 09:23:12

I have braces put on by the NHS so 6 months normal dentist and every 6 weeks orthodontist.

It's a pain but keeping with the NHS appointments mean you can avoid the expensive private option. There's a website that will show you dentists near you that are taking on new NHS patients. As far as I know they do plans where you pay monthly if you want to regularly see the hygienist as that can work out expensive but that might depend on each dentist.

I never went to the dentist as a child and it's lead to no end of problems so I'm very pro dentist now!

I go every 6 months to a year, depending on what they've told me to do. Do keep going, you don't want to end up having to have a root canal because you've left it too long. I put my appointments in my Google calendar as soon as they're booked and set it to remind me twice, once a week before and once a day before. If they have your mobile number a lot of them will text you a reminder too.

Rightontheschnozz Mon 13-Feb-17 09:30:35

Thanks. I just need to find a new dentist now. DH hasn't been for years. I used to go a lot as a kid because of braces etc and have 3 fillings sad so I definitely need regular check ups!

Justanothernameonthepage Mon 13-Feb-17 09:30:52

I've just had my braces off, so was going every 5 weeks. Normally though a check up every 7-8 months and hygienist once a year. I know my dentist will put you on alert if you haven't attended in 12 months and if you don't make an appointment in the next 6 months you're taken off the list. I looked at insurance and would have been paying £20 a month (but then got mat exemption)

CaveMum Mon 13-Feb-17 09:37:17

I religiously go every 6 months with hygienist appointments in between. You can't afford to neglect your teeth, it's just not worth it.

My dentist costs about £15 for a routine check up (NHS patient) and then about £50 for hygienist (private patient).

There are lots of schemes that you can pay into to cover dental treatment. My parents use Simply Health which starts from about £9 per month: www.simplyhealth.co.uk/sh/pages/individuals/dental-plan.jsp

Jenniferb21 Mon 13-Feb-17 09:55:20

Westfield is good to save money. I pay about £5 a month it covers things like physio too opticians etc you get about 70% paid for.

I go every 3 months since having my litttle boy I've had wisdom teeth removed etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now