Talk

Advanced search

To think I don't have an eating disorder?

(333 Posts)
NotAlwaysHungry Sun 12-Feb-17 22:51:46

I make myself sick about 2-3 times a week. I know it's not the greatest habit and is no doubt very unhealthy but I only do it when I've eaten too much junk. My weight is fine and I'm otherwise very healthy.

My sister recently found out about it (long story!) and she was horrified. She now has it in her head that I have some sort of eating disorder and will die at any minute.

She told me I need to see a doctor but I've been doing this for nearly eight years now and considering I'm still healthy then I'm hardly going to suddenly drop down dead because of making myself sick a few times a week.

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 12-Feb-17 22:53:12

You have a serious eating disorder.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Sun 12-Feb-17 22:53:47

Making yourself sick once a week isn't normal never mind 2-3, your sister is right I'm afraid & yes you should seek help.

GallivantingWildebeest Sun 12-Feb-17 22:53:53

Oh, love, this is definitely an eating disorder! Ask yourself, if your dd did this, what would you tell her?

You need to see a GP. You could be doing yourself harm by vomiting so much - to your teeth and your general health.

Sherlock35 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:53:53

I am by no means an expert in eating disorders but that doesn't sound healthy. Apart from anything else, you'll be rotting away the enamel on your teeth. Time to see your GP, I think.

GreatFuckability Sun 12-Feb-17 22:54:27

You have an eating disorder. And whilst you might be healthy now, you're playing Russian roulette with your health. Your teeth will be suffering due to the acid. You're at risk of damaging your digestive system.
Your first step us to accept that you have a problem. Good luck!

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 12-Feb-17 22:54:30

I think you sound in denial tbh. It's not normal to make yourself sick at all

I'm not remotely qualified to make a call though so....

user1484226561 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:54:30

you have a serious eating disorder, and one of the symptoms is to deny it to yourself

PotOfYoghurt Sun 12-Feb-17 22:54:43

Yes, you do.

And if it's been going on eight years you've convinced yourself it's normal.

It's not. You are sick.

sweetkitty Sun 12-Feb-17 22:54:48

You have an eating disorder and yes you should see a doctor. Not healthy to make yourself sick at all.

Thattimeofyearagain Sun 12-Feb-17 22:54:55

Your purging, it is bad for your health .

DailyMailFuckRightOff Sun 12-Feb-17 22:55:18

This is not normal.

SalmonFajitas Sun 12-Feb-17 22:55:24

Lots of people with eating disorders are a healthy weight and maintain normal lives. If you're eating so much you feel the need to be sick or you're being sick after eating normal quantities of food you're suffering from an eating disorder without question.

LovingLola Sun 12-Feb-17 22:55:47

Can you make an appointment to talk to your gp? And do you have dental checkups?

JaxingJump Sun 12-Feb-17 22:56:00

This is exactly what an eating disorder is. And hopefully you will come to realise that. It's not normal or healthy what you are doing. You are just so used to it you don't see it for what it is. I think you should visit your GP and be truthful and see what they say. Hopefully with just a little support you can stop this before it escalates or you do yourself serious harm. Get advice. See what the doc says. Good luck.

Northernlurker Sun 12-Feb-17 22:56:09

Yes you have an eating disorder. It doesn't matter how long you've been doing it or how well you think you are. Doesn't matter you feel healthy or that your weight is ok. It is not normal or healthy to purge yourself of what you've eaten by vomiting.

Gingernaut Sun 12-Feb-17 22:56:09

Um yeah. YADBU.

You have bulimia.

Your sister is correct, you need medical help.

NotAlwaysHungry Sun 12-Feb-17 22:56:26

My teeth are fine though. In fact I went to the dentist last week for a check up and everything was fine.

WorraLiberty Sun 12-Feb-17 22:56:55

Yes you have an ED

wishingona Sun 12-Feb-17 22:56:58

You have an eating disorder, of course you do! shock

NotAlwaysHungry Sun 12-Feb-17 22:57:34

I always have regular dental check ups and there has never been any problems. I have no fillings, no extractions...in fact people often compliment me on my teeth grin

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 12-Feb-17 22:57:35

Your sister is correct. You do need to consider, very seriously, seeking help.

Purging like that is genuinely dangerous.

Orlandointhewilderness Sun 12-Feb-17 22:59:07

Not I get the feeling that despite the 100% answers on here that yes, you DO have a problem, you are not going to even consider it. People generally do not make themselves sick. At all. ever. I am 32; I have NEVER made myself be sick. Please, please consider that your sister may be right and go and see your GP.

GreatFuckability Sun 12-Feb-17 22:59:57

That's good. So did I for the first 5 years of my ED. And then it all went to shit and I lost 8 teeth. You're lucky right now. That's all. It doesn't change the fact that you are harming yourself.

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 12-Feb-17 23:00:03

There's no amount of smiley faces or compliments about your teeth that can excuse the fact that you have an eating disorder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now