Talk

Advanced search

To exaggerate/lie about stupid things?

(5 Posts)
CallMeBubblesDahling Sun 12-Feb-17 22:51:11

Moved to a new job a few months ago, all going fine but recently came off anti anxiety meds and it's really affecting me - in the eighth week or so on, and think I'm feeling better but it's been tough.

I feel like I am having a hard trouble fitting in with new workmates - felt like all was fine at the beginning but I am getting stupidly anxious about small things and then over-compensating by doing stupid things. I have taken a few days off at the last minute this week, which isn't that common, but I was able to as currently had capacity at work (it's a project based industry) - I was embarrassed to tell workmates that it was all in order to get some space to clear my head/stay at home/relax, so said I was going on a trip away with friends. This was actually something I did a few weeks back so not out of the ordinary, but obviously not quite the truth.

I then stupidly white-lied to someone that I was meeting up with a male friend this weekend - he is someone I have met up with before, they don't know him so all fine, we've been on dates... But I'm not seeing him this weekend!! I don't know why I said it. Misplaced attempt at girly bonding perhaps?! Stupidly the times/dates I've given for this so-called date cross-over with my little break that I've said I'm going on.

I doubt anyone is invested in this/cares but I want to figure out (a) why I feel the need to exaggerate/lie - it's out of character for me and (b) whether they might find out. Also, a strategy going forward to breeze through this stupid episode and move on/be normal essentially.

I am now seeking a form of therapy btw, so all ok - but advice welcomed. I know Im overthinking...

CallMeBubblesDahling Sun 12-Feb-17 23:18:21

Hopeful bump x

Iambubbles86 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:39:54

Ooh check out our similar names :-)

I do this too, I have no idea why but then I have a lot of odd social quirks, I hate social situations and often overcompensate by acting super perky and friendly, sharing far too much info or lying/exxagerating things. Never anything big but silly insignificant things like you do. I Dont even realise I'm doing it half the time till DH mentions it.

Bahh Sun 12-Feb-17 23:49:22

OH does this all the time. He just likes to impress people, he admires a lot of the people he works with/under and wants to match their lifestyle I guess. He also does it online because he likes to be the funny cool poster who gets lots of likes. Have just accepted its part of who he is and a relatively harmless way of coping with some insecurities he has. Unless it escalates beyond silly fibs it doesn't concern me and I don't think it should you.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Sun 12-Feb-17 23:57:36

I am a completely genuine open person (who is probably a great deal older than you) but have also done this.
It's s weird thing and I almost don't realise I've done it until it's out of my mouth and then I'm thinking "where on earth did that come from?" My ego I guess -- that clearly needs some managing!
It's a learning experience and I think, if you are self aware and able to reflect you will do it less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now