Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you wish you did while you were young?

(114 Posts)
wishingona Sun 12-Feb-17 21:37:24

I'm 24 and I keep getting the feeling that this is my time and I should be making more of it.

What do you wish you did while you were my age (not even sure 24 counts as youngshock)?

Not traveled more, though. I guess I mean the more day to day stuff.

Any advice?

peppatax Sun 12-Feb-17 21:40:30

Not worried what people think or whether I was doing the right thing all the time - wish I'd just seen things and enjoyed them for what they were. Realised that some days do just pass as a non-event and that's not a bad thing.

birdsdestiny Sun 12-Feb-17 21:40:41

I wish I had shagged the local long haired singer. My friends warned me off him. I listened sad.

peppatax Sun 12-Feb-17 21:40:46

24 is young OP grin

ArchNotImpudent Sun 12-Feb-17 21:43:01

I wish I'd gone to more festivals and concerts - I've never 'done' Glastonbury, for instance. I know plenty of people carry on doing that kind of thing till the day they die, but I found my tolerance for discomfort, mud, noise etc. and general energy levels diminished a lot when I hit my mid-thirties, so if I had my time again I'd do lots more while I was still full of enthusiasm.

Bahh Sun 12-Feb-17 21:43:54

I wish I hadn't run away at 15 to live with a 23 year old scruff I met on the internet. In fact I would have remained single well into my twenties.

I wish I hadn't dropped out of college, I'd have stuck it out and gone on to University. Got a degree and a career job.

peppatax Sun 12-Feb-17 21:45:24

Oh yes I'm with birdsdestiny in taking sexual opportunities when they're there blush

ghostyslovesheets Sun 12-Feb-17 21:45:29

not much but I am glad I:

had lots of sex
went to uni
traveled and lived abroad
left home and supported myself
took drugs (NOT SUGGESTING THIS TO YOU AT ALL!!!!)
Had fun
had lovely relationships with men who where not the one
did all this before having kids!

CanaryFish Sun 12-Feb-17 21:46:31

I got married when i was 24.
I don't regret it for a minute. But I wish I'd spent more time on myself .
Hobbies, studies, friendships, my health my figure my looks.
This is the time to invest in yourself so make the most of it because 34 year old you will both shake their head and smile at your adventures and thank you for that extra bunch of sit-ups/vegetable smoothies and so on

wishingona Sun 12-Feb-17 21:51:19

Peppa

The not caring what people think has really starting coming to me in the last year or so. Before I was worried but I realised I'm an adult too and my opinion does count for something.

peppatax Sun 12-Feb-17 21:54:56

Exactly OP - of course it does. My 60something mother still worries far too much what her mother thinks of what she does so it's always going to happen, the younger you learn to filter it out the better in my opinion!

wishingona Sun 12-Feb-17 22:07:52

Glad it's coming to me now! It's really changed my outlook on things.

SorrelSoup Sun 12-Feb-17 22:14:47

Relaxed!

kilmuir Sun 12-Feb-17 22:17:58

More sex

magimedi Sun 12-Feb-17 22:19:35

At 60+ I wish I'd paid more attention to my dental health & skin.

I did lots of shagging & was at the first ever Glastonbury.............. but I still wish I had better teeth! They are a pain & a vast expense when you are older.

Sorry to be so boring!

lostinabook Sun 12-Feb-17 22:20:42

Travelled more, had more men.

wishingona Sun 12-Feb-17 22:22:23

I'm happily married by the way, maybe I should have said that at the start. grin

Underthemoonlight Sun 12-Feb-17 22:27:34

I wished I was more picky when it came to boys instead of wanting a boyfriend and settling.

I wished I didn't get pregnant at 21 when I was uni and to the wrong person. (Although I love DS it was hard)

I wish I want on a girls holiday/ went travelling after uni.

I wished I completed my nursing degree especially as I only had six months left but didn't go back as ex had health problems.

I am happily married and settled now with the right person. I only
Hope DD makes better choices than I did.

Tigresswoods Sun 12-Feb-17 22:29:08

A ski season!!!!

MumBod Sun 12-Feb-17 22:32:15

I wish I'd chucked my first boyfriend instead of marrying him at 23.

I wish I'd shagged around a bit more.

I wish I'd lived in London for a bit and travelled the world.

I wish I'd believed in myself.

ToEarlyForDecorations Sun 12-Feb-17 22:32:53

At age 24 I was a year from meeting my future husband. Before that I had:

Ditched a career that I wasn't enjoying after 3 years despite doing a 2 year college course in preparation for it.

Travelled across America on my own by bus after working at a Summer Camp for 3 months. Enjoyed both experiences btw.

Broken up with a long term boyfriend who wanted more commitment from me than I wanted to give. (He'd been seeing someone else whilst I was away. So, that'll be welcome home then. Even if it was platonic he pretty much couldn't wait to tell me. In modern parlance it would probably be classed as an emotional affair.)

Started a new job in an office.

Came to the end of a couple of years worth of FWB/fuck buddies to make me feel attractive after ditching long term boyfriend.

The last man I shagged was the man I married. 'Cause I had never been loved like that before.'

OP - pursue your own goals. You can plan for the future but you can't foretell it. I was once concerned that there was something I'd missed or something I'd not thought of that I would think of later in life and wish I'd got on with it sooner.

That's when I decided the time is now. It's always now.

Sabsy1 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:34:59

Spend as much time as possible with your parents/grandparents as they won't be around forever. I am 35 and lost both of my parents in the last 3 years. I wasn't too absent from their lives and I had a good relationship with them, I just wish I spent more time with them.

RJnomore1 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:37:01

Kickboxing.

I wish I had done it when I was young and not when I was too old and slow and fat to actually fight.

Like many of my posts on here it may be a bit niche though...

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:42:36

Travelled and lived abroad. Specifically Australia.
Paid more into my pension.
Discovered camping sooner and gone away every available opportunity!
Gone out drinking / partying more
Festivals

NerrSnerr Sun 12-Feb-17 22:42:36

I wish I hadn't bought a flat so young (got it cheap but before the housing crash so was stuck with it for years).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now