Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to go home?

(15 Posts)
OvariesForgotHerPassword Sun 12-Feb-17 20:43:02

Are triage at A&E allowed to tell you to go home?

I've hurt my elbow. I don't think I've dislocated it but I can't move it fully and it hurts. I'm prone to dislocations so it's a possibility. NHS Direct told me to come here .

I was hoping triage would say whether it seems dislocated or not. They've put it in a sling and given me painkillers. People have been waiting 12 hours. DH has DD asleep in the car (they told me I need someone with me). I don't know if I should stay or not, I don't want to take up space for nothing. I feel for the staff, they're rushed off their feet sad

OvariesForgotHerPassword Sun 12-Feb-17 20:44:08

What I mean is, would triage have said "it's fine, go home" or do they have to send everybody through?

gamerchick Sun 12-Feb-17 20:46:40

I don't think they're allowed. They cant see through your arm to see if there's any problems.

OvariesForgotHerPassword Sun 12-Feb-17 20:49:55

I know, wishful thinking I think sad

Mumzypopz Sun 12-Feb-17 21:06:05

X-rays are pretty quick, but you will probably have a wait for it.

Cheby Sun 12-Feb-17 21:41:16

How's it going? Was it 111 who said you needed someone with you or triage?

I would stay; but I would most likely send DH and DD home so she can sleep (as long as you have the means to get yourself home later, e.g. Taxi). I've been in A&E before on a number of occasions with a pretty badly broken leg, DVT and other non life threatening stuff. That's just the way it is when you have children and no local babysitters. You don't have to have someone with you, especially if it's something minor.

Cheby Sun 12-Feb-17 21:42:22

*ive been in A&E on my own I mean, missed the important part out of my post!

missyB1 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:46:28

Send DH home with dd. You can ring him when you are ready to go home.

haveacupoftea Sun 12-Feb-17 21:48:46

You could always go to a minor injuries unit tomorrow if there is one near you.

Bestthingever Sun 12-Feb-17 21:49:31

I've attended A and E on my own. It's not like they could refuse to treat you! Send your dd and dh home. It does sound like you should be seen tonight.

I came home. I was in the waiting room alone (I've spent enough time in there with my joints hmm and didn't want to expose DD to germs) but DD and DH were in the car with the heating on and DD had her blanket so she could sleep. It made more sense than DH dropping me there, driving home, getting DD in and out of her car seat etc and then coming back to get me, especially as we had no idea if I'd be triaged and sent home or waiting eight hours.

I couldn't even get a seatbelt on and I was having tingling in my hands and numbness in my fingers which (I'm guessing) is why 111 told me to have someone with me.

They were stretched to the absolute limit and people just kept coming in. The receptionist seemed genuinely surprised and grateful for me letting her know I was going, sounds like they have lots of people who just walk out. There was a satisfying crack when I left and another one when I got home. Back to pretty much full movement and very little pain now so I think whatever it was is sorted now thankfully. There were people there who had been waiting since 9am this morning. It's scary when you see the full extent of it sad

Mrsglitterfairy Sun 12-Feb-17 23:45:22

Glad you're seemingly on the mend ovaries hope it stays like that for you flowers

Crunchymum Sun 12-Feb-17 23:45:26

Did you namechange in past few hours?

Crunchymum Sun 12-Feb-17 23:46:15

Oh I see you remembered your password? grin

Crunchy I can't log into this one on my phone grin so on my phone I'm logged in as ForgotHerPassword, on my computer I'm BeforeBrovaries grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now