Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think its rude to leave the theatre during the applause?

(41 Posts)
rainbox Sun 12-Feb-17 20:18:55

Am I the only one that gets wound up by this? I've noticed it so much in recent years. The play/concert ends and the hard-working performers come out for their curtain calls. Most of the audience are clapping them hard, but there's always some who just get up and walk out, like they have a bus to catch (maybe they have, but even so ...). Once one does it, more follow and before you know it there's a mini exodus going on.

Is it becoming more acceptable? To me it's like the opposite of applause - sending a strong visual message to the performers that you didn't appreciate the show.

IssyStark Sun 12-Feb-17 20:20:42

No, it isn't rude and has always happened.

People have many reasons to miss curtain calls that can go in as nauseum. Catching the train or getting out of the car park to get back fir the babysitter 29 minutes sooner are two acceptable reasons.

Bahh Sun 12-Feb-17 20:21:10

I think it's a little bit precious to care and actually people are entitled to leave whenever they want/need to.

Auspiciouspanda Sun 12-Feb-17 20:21:40

I would just assume that they have to leave at a specific time for a bus/train/lift home or have to wait an hour if they waited for the applause to stop...

sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 12-Feb-17 20:21:44

Depends. If I go to the nearest big city theatre if I don't run for the 10pm train there's not another til 1130 so sometimes needs must if s show ends by 955 I'll be one of the "rude" people you refer to

Sparklingbrook Sun 12-Feb-17 20:21:58

It's unfortunate but getting out of the car park after a theatre visit or show can be murderous so it pays to be first out.

museumum Sun 12-Feb-17 20:22:32

I did this recently at a gig. No choice, last bus. No other way home - 60 miles or so.

Sirzy Sun 12-Feb-17 20:23:47

I struggle with crowds so as much as I love the theatre if I can get out before the rush I will!

Nicpem1982 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:25:33

I've had to do it as is miss my train and have to pay for and find a taxi home.

I don't think it's rude as I leave as quietly as possible

I think it's ruder when people sit on their phones

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 12-Feb-17 20:25:42

The last time I was at the theatre people talked over the performance and sang along, then as it go towards the end the sang over the performer. It was so bad! But I can't get worked up about people nipping out quickly for all the reasons pps have mentioned. To which I'd add needing the loo and not wanting to get caught up in the queue and also claustrophbia: the big Victorian theatres in my town mean hundreds of people thundering down narrow staircases at the end and I find that quite difficult.

ArchNotImpudent Sun 12-Feb-17 20:26:40

sending a strong visual message to the performers that you didn't appreciate the show

Possibly they didn't appreciate the show? If it's a professional performance, it's reasonable to signal non-appreciation. I agree with PPs, though, a more likely explanation is bus to catch, babysitter to relieve etc.

Autumnchill Sun 12-Feb-17 20:27:10

Had to do it at a gig when they were playing the final song as stadium was 3hrs travel from home and we had to get the tram back to where we had parked the car so needed to avoid the crush so it didn't mean we got home at 2am

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 12-Feb-17 20:27:18

No, it isn't rude and has always happened

No it isn't. Talking, fiddling on your phone, coming in late, leaving during an act is but there is no obligation to sit through all the applause. The curtain calls at Covent Garden for example go on for ages. I always leave before they finish.

ForalltheSaints Sun 12-Feb-17 20:37:06

As long as you are applauding whilst still in the theatre on your way up the stairs (or down), perfectly OK to me.

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 12-Feb-17 20:39:53

Last non stop train from King's Cross to Cambridge is just gone 11 (into Csmbridge at midnight). So we slways have to leg it or not be home until 4 on the all stopper!

gillybeanz Sun 12-Feb-17 20:40:51

It's because the interval ran over, they might have started late.
Something like announcements not being added on to running times.
Some people use public transport and would miss their last train/bus home.
This is more often the case.

Familyof3or4 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:42:24

Yabu.
Betters full audience with people leaving during applause to catch trains/get babysitters home at decent times than a half full theatre

80sMum Sun 12-Feb-17 20:43:08

It's very annoying - and it spoils the end of the show for everyone else.

Look what happened to this couple who thought it would be a good idea to leave a BBC proms concert just as the finale was starting! It's about 20 seconds in.

Lifegavemelemons Sun 12-Feb-17 20:43:53

My last train home (min two trains) from London is around 10:40. I rarely can stay to the very last minute of anything !

SingaSong12 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:51:56

I wouldn't find it rude at either a professional performance or one for adults only. I sing in a lot of amateur choirs and have not been offended by people needing to leave. As an audience member there are plenty of other things such as phone use and adults having a chat that spoil shows for me, but not people leaving during the clapping.

I don't have children so not sure if it would be different at a school performance.

ArchNotImpudent Sun 12-Feb-17 21:02:57

80sMum

Aargh, that's so cringeworthy!

Leaving during the finale isn't the same as leaving during the applause, though.

HecateAntaia Sun 12-Feb-17 21:09:24

i dont think it is rude.
they arent doing you a favour.
you pay to see a performance.
you watch the performance.
you leave.
if you dont want to stand there clapping and whooping for ten minutes that's fine.

it would be different if you disturbed the actual show, bothering other members of the audience or disrupting the show but there's nothing wrong with leaving when it's finished. you dont owe them endless applause. clap and go.

Crumbs1 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:19:25

If you've got to get the last train it is sometimes essential- sure theatre would prefer to sell tickets than have fewer people who were all clapping.

MidniteScribbler Sun 12-Feb-17 21:23:49

I think it's rude if you have to push past others to get out of your seats. The theatres here the seats are so close together that the whole row would have to stand up to let someone out. If you're going to need to leave before waiting for the general 'filing out' that happens, then you should book a seat close to the aisle so as to avoid the inevitable shuffling and foot crushing that occurs.

honeyroar Sun 12-Feb-17 21:28:21

I always think people are a bit rude. Yes the odd one may have a bus or train, but most don't.

Last night we watched an indoor motocross show/competition. During the presentation nearly 2000 people started trekking down the stairs to leave, despite the compete asking people to clap the winners. It looked awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now