Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to eat the Chinese

(62 Posts)
WaitedForGodot Sun 12-Feb-17 19:56:13

DW told me to order a Chinese at 7pm while she took DS (1) to bed. DS picked tonight to be a little terror and not go to sleep, I can hear him yelling over the baby monitor at the moment. He's been very clingy to her recently and won't accept me putting him to bed (just screams and screams and screams until his mummy comes into the room), so I don't think there's much I can do to help.

The Chinese turned up ten minutes ago, I've got it wrapped up tight to try and keep it warm but I fear it'll be cold before DS is finally asleep, sometimes he can take ages if he gets into a proper mood. WIBU for me to eat my half now? Seems a bit heartless but at the same time, no sense both of us having a cold dinner.

answers required quickly because in about 15 minutes time this will all be moot

WaitedForGodot Sun 12-Feb-17 19:57:18

alternate question - how can I best keep a Chinese takeaway warm until he's asleep?

it's mixed starters, kung po chicken, chicken with cashew nuts and egg fried rice

all came in plastic containers so can't just bung it in the oven

I've wrapped it in teatowels for now but better suggestions would be very welcomed

Aliveinwanderland Sun 12-Feb-17 19:57:42

Put yours in the oven to keep warm, plate up DW's, go and sit with screaming baby while she eats.

Bahh Sun 12-Feb-17 19:57:54

Ask wife if she minds. It's only rude if your company thinks it is imo.

Aliveinwanderland Sun 12-Feb-17 19:58:24

We bung ours in the oven in the plastic! Probably shouldn't but never hurt us. Oven only on very low.

greenboat Sun 12-Feb-17 20:00:30

I would just eat it tbh. It's already quite late and if you leave it much later you'll feel a bit sick going to bed on a full stomach.

WaitedForGodot Sun 12-Feb-17 20:00:30

ok yes asking her is the logical thing but I'm pretty sure that would be met with extreme annoyance at me wandering into the room disturbing things to ask questions about food while she's trying to keep it all nice and calm for DS

Doje Sun 12-Feb-17 20:00:34

Put it in the bag in the oven on low? Should keep it warm for a bit.

I think the containers would be fine if the oven was on it's lowest setting, otherwise plate it up, cover, turn bung it in.

Don't eat without her unless you ask her first of she doesn't mind. Also offer to hold screaming DS if she wants to eat first!

LadyMetroland Sun 12-Feb-17 20:01:05

Tip anything non liquid onto a baking tray and put into oven on low

Other stuff can just be microwaved when she's back down

Nocabbageinmyeye Sun 12-Feb-17 20:01:15

We'd just eat it in our house, no point in two people having to reheat their takeaway, it's never the same. That's assuming you are eating it vegged out in front of the tv of course, don't do it if it was a planned romantic thing

scootinFun Sun 12-Feb-17 20:03:00

Wait. Eat lukewarm Chinese together smile

ThomasRichard Sun 12-Feb-17 20:03:09

Make a plate up for her, cover it in foil so it doesn't dry out and put it in the oven on the lowest setting. Eat yours quickly and then go & take over while she eats. Even if your DS does cry, it's no worse than what's happening now!

WaitedForGodot Sun 12-Feb-17 20:04:11

no, this was more a 'we're exhausted and it's sunday and no-one wants to cook' takeaway

putting the oven on now for warmthkeeping, I figured plastic wouldn't go great in there but maybe it'll be ok?

Sparklingbrook Sun 12-Feb-17 20:04:21

YABU.

You are asking questions on a chat forum about your dinner while your wife is upstairs dealing with bedtime. confused

frogmellla Sun 12-Feb-17 20:04:31

Chuck it all in the bin. Muck.

NapQueen Sun 12-Feb-17 20:06:09

Dh used to poke his head in quietly and do a "shall we switch?" Motion. I'd either happily agree, run down and scran my food, or say no no ill be out soon.

Either way I think you ought to at elastic gesture some help.

WorraLiberty Sun 12-Feb-17 20:06:27

I read the thread title and thought

Yes of course YABU to eat the Chinese.

What have they ever done to you?? grin

Screwinthetuna Sun 12-Feb-17 20:07:56

Put it in the oven on low heat.

ChuckSnowballs Sun 12-Feb-17 20:08:35

Use your brain and put the oven on low and pop it in there until you are both ready. Don't interrupt to ask stupid questions. Don't eat yours and let hers go cold. Fuck sake.

scootinFun Sun 12-Feb-17 20:08:35

No, not in the takeaway containers - put it on plates and in the oven. Then do the motion thing to yr wife where your son can't see you.

WaitedForGodot Sun 12-Feb-17 20:09:10

UPDATE: DW just got him to sleep. Warm Chinese for everyone!

living the dream

Gardencentregroupie Sun 12-Feb-17 20:09:18

Don't put the plastic in the oven! Plate up both, cover plates in foil and put in oven. Logically there's no sense in you waiting BUT if I were your DW and I came down starving from a hideous bedtime and you hadn't waited I would cry (at best)

Gardencentregroupie Sun 12-Feb-17 20:09:42

Cross posts. Hooray!

WaitedForGodot Sun 12-Feb-17 20:10:02

ChuckSnowballs is harsh but correct. ANYWAY THERE IS DINNER TO EAT

ChuckSnowballs Sun 12-Feb-17 20:10:31

Do we really have to tell men how not to behave like twats?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now