Talk

Advanced search

Fire alarm at a leisure centre

(15 Posts)
toothgenie Sun 12-Feb-17 19:12:47

Well DD (18) happily going doing her work out with headphones on. She realised the alarm was going off looked around at the other people who all looked a bit surprised. She then looked at the gym attendant for some guidance. He just walked out! DD made her way to the car park on her own with no prompting from any of the staff, of which there were many. ( she knows what to do because of school) nobody seemed to be in charge or know what they should be doing.
I'm not sure if I ABU but shouldn't there be a procedure for this. Especially where there are lots of public of all ages.
Should I complain ?
It was thankfully a false alarm btw and after 10 mins people were allowed in.

ilovesooty Sun 12-Feb-17 19:14:56

Why would you complain? Is your daughter not aware of the fire procedures there?

Crispbutty Sun 12-Feb-17 19:15:17

I'm sure member of staff should direct everyone out of the building.

Crispbutty Sun 12-Feb-17 19:16:04

However your ADULT daughter should be able to complain herself if she feels the need.

GeillisTheWitch Sun 12-Feb-17 19:18:02

I think staff should be making sure the customers are all making their way out before walking out themselves, especially if they've had headphones in and might not have heard any previous announcements.

steff13 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:21:11

Most public buildings here have signs that tell you where to go in case of fire or tornado. But I would think the staff had a responsibility to make sure everyone is out. There was a tornado when I worked in retail, and we had procedures we had to follow (locking the doors, directing customers to the safe zone, etc.). If the leisure center hasn't trained their staff on how to handle emergencies, they really should.

BikeRunSki Sun 12-Feb-17 19:21:23

In a public building like that o would have expected someone to endure that each area was clear. Probably a dedicated person for one or two areas. It may not have been the staff member in there at the time. As you say, your daughter knew what to do. The area may well have been checked after she left.

toothgenie Sun 12-Feb-17 19:22:29

It's more an issue that when we joined the leisure centre nothing was mentioned about what to do in the event of a fire. I work in a dental practice and all the staff are trained what to do if the alarm goes off.
Of course I'm aware I'm aware my daughter is an adult wink, I didn't mean complain, more raise my concern that the staff didn't seem to know what to do really.

quietbatperson Sun 12-Feb-17 19:39:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 12-Feb-17 19:44:49

But do you tell all your patients what to do if there is a fire alarm? The responsible person probably checked the changing room after she left, but I can appreciate that it probably felt as if it was ages, time can seem to slow down when your senses are on high alert.

steff13 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:45:52

I'm not in the UK. I was using that as an example if when staff would be required to assist customers in an emergency.

Chicken4dinner Sun 12-Feb-17 19:45:56

I volunteer in a stately home in my spare time.

Each guide in every room is responsible for making sure every one is out of the room and the adjacent room before leaving themselves if a fire alarm goes off.

I'd expect any public place to be the same. Staff should not just be leaving without checking the area is clear.

toothgenie Sun 12-Feb-17 20:04:48

The gym instructor just left, he didn't talk to anyone or give any instructions before he left.

ForalltheSaints Sun 12-Feb-17 20:42:10

I agree it is an issue- your daughter should complain though, as more notice will be taken of a first hand complaint.

Cherryskypie Sun 12-Feb-17 20:47:13

Your DD left too I assume? So she wasn't still there to see if someone came to check the area was clear? The staff member that left might have had a specific responsibility e.g. Check the men's changing area is evacuated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now