Advanced search

To think this message is just strange and to block

(37 Posts)
ichangedmynameforthis12 Sun 12-Feb-17 13:13:00

My father has been in sporadic contact with me for most of my life. To give some context, he committed marital rape and was a bit .. odd. DM said she frequently found him masturbating on the sofa once we were in bed , we had internet and cable television very early (before most people we knew) for the sole purpose of pornography.

As a child (very early 90s) there was a concern I was sexually abused by him or at risk of it. Social services were involved anyway and I know they spoke to me when I was 3 or 4. I had symptoms that suggested issues but equally might have been totally innocent. Conclusion was that he wasn't doing anything.

He has sent me texts over the last 4 years or so. They have been odd at times. He has asked me to send him pictures with a smiley face and keeps saying he wants to see me in person. Lots of kisses. I am very affectionate in general but I havent seen him in 20 years. I don't know what he means but I'm not feeling right about it and I don't think it's 'normal'.

I asked my mum, she's not very happy, and said to cut all contact. All other persons I know, his family, my family, don't want me to talk to him at all. I had to see a psychiatrist when I was 19 and I remember they were not happy with the situation.

I want to cut contact completely but I don't know how to do that. He will phone and text persistently if I do, he will send me guilt tripping stuff, emotional blackmail (I get messages about what would I do if he could no longer contact me) , all sorts. I don't know what to think or do. I don't want him in my life, I know that.

FillyFinch Sun 12-Feb-17 13:14:27

Block him

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sun 12-Feb-17 13:17:05

I'd cut off contact. He can't pester if you block him. You're never going to have a happy relaxed relationship with this man. Sorry you and your DM went through this. flowers

QuinoaKeen Sun 12-Feb-17 13:18:23

I understand why you are conflicted, but you don't owe this man anything - not politeness, not your time, nor your concern.

This must be very hard for you and I'm sorry you are going through it. Sometimes you must do the right thing for you and you only.

Block him.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 12-Feb-17 13:18:37

If you cut contact completely then he can't emotionally blackmail you because you won't be able to get to you. I would block him, bar his number on your phone. Who else does he know that you know? Make sure that any mutual acquaintances, who may not know the family circumstances, don't give him any information about you for example your address.

barinatxe Sun 12-Feb-17 13:23:06

Block him. He was sexually abusive (not necessarily to you) and is now trying to manipulate you, to guilt-trip you. He's harassing you. Block him, if he persists then report him to the police.

Datun Sun 12-Feb-17 13:29:42

Block him on absolutely everything. If he continues to find a way to harass you, let the police know.

You may well get some kind of pushback where he ratchets up the pressure. Do not, on any occasion whatsoever, reply - as this just tells him that the longer he applies pressure the more likely you are to reply. Most of the time after the tantrums, it will eventually stop. However if you are in any doubt that he might be violent towards you, call the police.

Does he know where you live?

ichangedmynameforthis12 Sun 12-Feb-17 13:37:22

He knows vaguely where I live and said he drove past to see what it looks like once. He lives a good 400 miles from me but his work means he travels a lot around UK.

I don't know if family would tell him. One sibling stands by him but they don't know my address or phone number. The others do but don't talk to him and have told me they never will because of his past behaviours.

I will block him.

I get stuff like, we don't know how long we have on this planet, need to learn to forgive and forget , put past behind us. I can't do that.

ChuckSnowballs Sun 12-Feb-17 13:39:03

No we do not need to forgive and forget. We need very much to fucking remember. And to block people who are not making our lives better.

Sn0tnose Sun 12-Feb-17 13:39:28

If you just block him, is there any chance that he'd be able to track you down? Does he know where you live? If he can't reach you by phone, is there any chance he'd turn up on your doorstep? If you're in the UK, can you remove yourself from the public edition of the electoral roll?

If it were me, I'd be inclined to hold off until the next text is received, then reply that you don't feel comfortable receiving any more messages from him, that you are not interested in establishing any kind of contact with him and that you are permanently cutting contact with him. Then block until you're able to completely change your number. I'd worry that just blocking him without telling him might prompt him to come looking, or that he might look for other ways to phone you if he realises you've just blocked him.

I think his comments about not knowing what he'd do if he couldn't contact you are just vile. Not just emotional blackmail, but another example of his belief that he and his wants/needs are more important than yours. 💐

CoolCarrie Sun 12-Feb-17 13:42:08

You don't need to forgive or forget OP! You are right to block him, he is toxic to you and your family. You don't owe him anything.

Sn0tnose Sun 12-Feb-17 13:43:24

No we do not need to forgive and forget. We need very much to fucking remember. I can't express just how much I agree with this.

sophiestew Sun 12-Feb-17 13:46:15

Please do block him, he sounds quite dangerous to be honest.

SeaEagleFeather Sun 12-Feb-17 13:46:35

Read up on manipulation techniques and how to deal with them.

He's no friend to you, he's a father but not acting well. No good father manipulates because then it's for his ends, not your good; and a good dad thinks of your good.

It's your dad, but there are many too many bad signs here. If you can, detach your feelings and see this as an exercise in learning how to deal with manipulative people

Datun Sun 12-Feb-17 13:50:18

If it comes to it, you could consider letting him know that you have a network that supports you, including officials. It might be useful for him to realise that you're not isolated and that you have backing.

It's very difficult if he could turn violent, because you are left between a rock and a hard place. You either continue to be harassed or you run a risk.

I also think you should contact Women's Aid. They will have a wealth of experience with which to advise you. From what I can gather, these things tend to establish a pattern. They will have ideas and suggestions.


reuset Sun 12-Feb-17 14:00:20

That sounds very odd, OP. Very odd. Take the good advice here and block him for good. Also you do not need to forgive and forget.

I'm sorry you had to go through any of that.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sun 12-Feb-17 14:05:05

Will lawyers write letters for this sort of thing? I'm thinking 'cease and desist and any further contact will be considered harassment'.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 12-Feb-17 14:06:23

There are too many members of your family, not wanting you to speak to him, for them to be wrong.
I'm sorry Sweet, but this guy, isn't wired up properly.
Do block his every avenue. Mention his strange emotional blackmail to your family and friends, and your fear of him driving by, or knocking on your door. The more people that are aware, the safer you will be.
I'm sorry that you find yourself in this situation. 💐

DJBaggySmalls Sun 12-Feb-17 14:08:29

He isnt taking parental responsibility, he hasnt changed.
Keep a copy of all the messages in case you decide to take out an injunction later on.
Then block him.

Miserylovescompany2 Sun 12-Feb-17 14:12:15

Send one text "please stop harassing me, I don't want you to contact me again" if he persists then contact the police. If he continues after a police warning? Then seek legal advice around taking out a non-molestation order against him.

Do not delete the texts. Ignore all phone calls from his number or numbers you don't know. (if its important the person will leave a message)

Waltermittythesequel Sun 12-Feb-17 14:18:59

You can block him from calling and messaging which is exactly what you should do.

Sending any response, even a 'leave me alone' is attention.

This man is dangerous and no sort of father. And you know that.

Oldraver Sun 12-Feb-17 14:21:20

I think you have to message him saying you dont want him to contact you. Any further contact you will consider harrasment and will contact the police. You shouldn't have to do this but it sets out loud and clearly your intentions, and will help if you do have to take it further.

Then block him from contacting you. Does he have your landline ?

Hissy Sun 12-Feb-17 14:22:01

Funny how the forgive and forget line is trotted out by complete wankers who want to continue being so regardless of the damage and pain they inflict.

I can't agree more that we need to remember every fucking thing when it comes to abuse and hurting others on purpose

The forgive and forget nonsense allows them to feel better about themselves and lets them off the hook. Bollocks to that.

Block him and live happy and free love. You've earned that right.

Hissy Sun 12-Feb-17 14:23:27

When he texts op, what do you normally reply with?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 12-Feb-17 14:45:54

We. WE!!!!!!! need to learn to forgive and forget!!!!!!. There's no "WE" in this. You've done absolutely nothing that needs forgiving. What does he need to learn to forgive and forget. That's an abuser though. They try to turn things around on you.
Yes he may not have sexually. However. He is emotionally abusing with those messeages. Yes exactly. We don't know how long we've got in this planet, so. You don't want to spend anytime with a wicked beast like him.
I echo everyone else Block him. You owe him nothing

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: