Talk

Advanced search

to feed DS rice cakes

(105 Posts)
NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 12-Feb-17 08:50:59

Mil is worried and getting a bit judgy about our parenting after reading something about rice cakes containing poison or something. Has anyone else heard about this?

BewtySkoolDropowt Sun 12-Feb-17 08:55:26

Yes, it's been in the news.

Try www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38910848

dementedpixie Sun 12-Feb-17 08:55:39

Ricemilk contains arsenic and shouldn't be given to under 5s as a drink. Maybe she is thinking of that.

Hatemylifenow Sun 12-Feb-17 08:55:58

Yes apparently rice and rice products have too-high levels of arsenic in them and people are being warned off giving them to young children - it was on the news the other day

Purplebluebird Sun 12-Feb-17 08:58:25

Glad I read this, I give my little one a rice cake every day! I will cut down smile

BertrandRussell Sun 12-Feb-17 09:01:48

Since when has pointing out a genuine potential risk you don't happen to know about been "judgy"?

cookieswirls Sun 12-Feb-17 09:02:42

Not sure about poison but my lo nearly chocked on them. They kinda cling to their mouths iyswim

Hatemylifenow Sun 12-Feb-17 09:04:18

Why do people always misspell choked as chocked - it's the weirdest spelling mistake ever confused

llangennith Sun 12-Feb-17 09:12:29

Slightly off the point but I can't understand why people give their toddlers rice cakes anywayconfused

NormaSmuff Sun 12-Feb-17 09:16:27

that is worrying

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 12-Feb-17 09:23:14

The article states that adults could eat a couple of POUNDS of rice per day and it wouldn't cause them health problems.

According to a packet I have here, 1 Organix rice cake equates to 2g in weight.

Eating a few rice cakes, especially as an occasional thing, wouldn't cause problems based on what I have read.

I stopped using paraffin and scented candles after reading about the health effects on BBC News so I'm not a naysayer and I take research studies seriously.

I also cut back on using lots of cleaning products because of potential impact on health.

But a few rice cakes as part of a balanced diet is not worrying to me.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 12-Feb-17 09:26:33

SOrry, couple of portions not pounds. But still, a portion is going to be at least 75g and it won't cause health problems.

Jellybean83 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:32:25

I saw it on Trust me I'm a Doctor last week. Apparently I've been cooking my rice wrong, I use the one part rice to two part water method which means none of the arsenic is being poured away. Rice should be soaked in water overnight then boiled in loads of water that you pour away, this showed up far less levels of the arsenic after tests.

I tried it with my chilli last week but I had excess water on my plate and it was a bit of a faff. I maybe just cut down our rice consumption so I can cook it my usual way, I'll do the soaking over night thing though to reduce the levels.

It was also found in baby rice, micro rice and rice milks too.

UterusUterusGhali Sun 12-Feb-17 09:35:49

Oh gawd.

I've fed mine rice cakes since they were babies. I thought they were better than crackers as they're salt-free.

We all eat rice 3/4 times a week. Plus rice cakes almost every day. blush
I cook it with very little water too. Guess I'll start pre-soaking it.

Jellybean83 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:36:46

The expert Michael Mosley spoke to said the levels were very worrying, the levels the WHO set up were the minimum possible to still ensure the rice trade wasn't affected, but the expert still said those were still too high.

Y0uCann0tBeSer10us Sun 12-Feb-17 09:43:30

I also saw it on Trust Me too, and was quite surprised that the expert said most people consume far too much arsenic from rice, and that the regulations on safe levels (I though he said EU rather than WHO, but may have misheard) basically weren't fit for purpose. Most worrying was the amount given to kids as it could affect neurological development and all kinds of other things. I think I'll be presoaking my rice from now on just in case, can't do any harm!

Hatemylifenow Sun 12-Feb-17 09:44:51

llan

Why?

Jellybean83 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:48:10

It might've been Y0uCann0tBeSer10us, Probably me that misheard.

tinyterrors Sun 12-Feb-17 10:25:09

I knew about arsenic in rice but not that it was in dangerous quantities. Dh and I have rice a few times a week, the dcs roughly once a week.

I've always cooked rice in loads of water and poured the rest away, any other way and the rice has either been under or over cooked. Ill start soaking it overnight too instead of just rinsing it.

Jellybean if you drain the cooked rice in a big sieve rather than a colander and pour a kettle full of boiling water over it then you shouldn't have excess water on your plate.

user1484226561 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:28:10

rice cakes are a totally pointless thing to give toddlers anyway, they need sugar and fat.

cookieswirls Sun 12-Feb-17 10:32:22

Hate it was an accident, I posted in a rush. Sorry if it offends confused

Hatemylifenow Sun 12-Feb-17 10:38:12

It doesn't offend at all, I just see it constantly and I don't understand it!

NarkyMcDinkyChops Sun 12-Feb-17 10:43:12

rice cakes are a totally pointless thing to give toddlers anyway, they need sugar and fat

They can't live on just sugar and fat though.

Artandco Sun 12-Feb-17 10:57:26

No they can't, but toddlers have small stomachs, so they eat little of what they eat. So you would be better giving them 1/2 banana or some cheese or peanut butter on toast, than a rice cake which is hardly filling anyway and little nutrition

Hatemylifenow Sun 12-Feb-17 10:58:56

<feeds 11mo rich tea biscuit>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now